Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Opinion: LSU booster scandal barely registering blip on radar is sign of times

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by LLCoolJ94, Jan 13, 2020.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are not doing anything wrong. The twitter account that I posted the tweet from is now private.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I've stated this before but I'll state it again. People need to understand that the NCAA is and has always been nothing more than a non-profit association of the member institutions, who's primary task is to make the NCAA member institutions make as much money as possible. Its board and much of its personnel are employees of the schools.

That's it. Most people think the NCAA is some kind of independent policing entity with legal powers. It has absolutely zero legal authority beyond what the member schools give it. I'm not even sure they have subpoena authority.

The point being that the NCAA isn't going to do anything that's going to hurt the college football brand because hurting college football hurts the member institutions. They're not going to go after one of the big cash cows (like Bama) unless they have no alternative.

That said, this LSU incident does hurt the college football brand because it was done so publicly, even if it was fake money. I think the NCAA will act all tough and go through an investigation (to legitimze itself), but in the end, I think very little will come of this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don't follow this. Not at all. There is an "infractions committee" -- many years ago it was headed up by Joe Paterno -- they damn sure investigated schools. . . . us of course, Miami, Oklahoma. . . . . hmmm. . . no northern schools. . . . no California schools. . . .. Woody Hayes and John McKay and Bo Schembechler never did anything wrong, right? Let's just hammer the southern schools and keep the lid on those bastards down south. . . . Of course, Bear Bryant got a standing pass. . . .

If the NCAA doesn't do any policing, then how in hell do schools get investigated and put on probation???
    And who decides who to "investigate" and who not to? The NCAA has been corrupt for as long as I've been watching college sports.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Oh schools get investigated. I didn't say they don't. They do it to legitimize themselves. But it usually only happens to a major cash cow school when something is so obvious that they have little or no alternative than to investigate or make themselves look foolish.

But for the NCAA to actually actually punish a top cash cow school (like Bama), it's got to be so clear and obvious that they have no other alternative. The NCAA has no incentive to punish a cash cow program, which would tarnish the college football brand.

It's a whole lot easier for them to flex their muscle against a lower level P5 school (like Ole Miss). That makes the NCAA look legitimate and tough but at the end of the day, nobody really gives a damn about Ole Miss. There's a balance between preserving the legitimacy of the NCAA and making the NCAA member institutions revenues.

Nailed it!! Actually, I wouldn't say corrupt but it's definitely the fox protecting the chicken coup.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It wasn't fake money, unless it was counterfeit, which doesn't exactly help OBJ or LSU.

6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Not sure it’s even against any rules if players are done with college, just a bad look. The kid that supposedly got paid a few years back however is different but it’s not even news.

7. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    A trophy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Botom line???

If OBJ wanted to be such a friggin' showboat by handing out $$$...and ANY LSU player put their hands on it...first off...

OBJ had to either know, or be so incredibly arrogant or ignorant, about the fact, that there were hundreds of cameras around...and

ANY player that put his hands on that money automatically put the entire program in violation....
    The NCAA has plenty of legs to sanction the program...
    It's not even a question of any "vieled" or suppposed violation....it's open and flagrant

9. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I may be in the minority here, but I find the Onion neither funny nor informative.