Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(VB) Ongoing Volleyball Thread

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by johnny_cakes, Apr 9, 2022.

1. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    How about a thread where we can have an ongoing discussion as the season unfolds? This has worked out great in the softball and baseball forums and permits not only interesting observation that don't warrant a thread, but also trends that don't fit into a match/game thread.

I'll start with this: AC Fitzpatrick -- OMG
    During warmups today there was one player who caught my eye by hitting much harder than the rest. Just bullets coming off her hits. Didn't recognize her and had to look her up. Apparently, she arrived from the portal and Penn State, where she lead the team in aces, second in kills and third in digs.

Watched her play today and she's a winner. Also very vocal and uplifting to the team. This may be a tough year, but she's going to be fun to watch.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. NWGaGator

NWGaGator Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you have any results or other info on the spring games being played now? For some reason they don't put any results on Gatorzone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    You might want to consider joining the Gator Attack Club. As a membership perk, access is granted to the team's live feed. You can also view replays of the games at any time. I think the Spring matches may have concluded.

Yesterday, Gators won the first game and and had three set points in the second game only to lose. The third and fourth games were not that close, although once UF was down by seven and rallied to tie. Despite UF having already lost the match, a fifth game was played because this was just an exhibition, which UF won, so final result: 3-2.

Alexis Stucky did most of the setting, although Birdie Hendrickson is also listed as a setter. Birdie played the whole game (and impressed) but did not set. Stucky will probably improve with coaching -- obviously Monserez's shoes are huge to fill. We've been spoiled for a long long time by the Monserez family.

Big crowd -- SRO. Interesting to see the practice facility that is not normally open to the public. The team has a nice media room with theatre seats for the players right off the gym floor and a large weight, medical, whirlpool (shared with the other "lesser" sports) right in the building.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Are any of the seniors opting for a 5th year?

5. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I don't know what Spring says about Fall, but Hall, Monserez, Forte and Dooley are players who finished last season but will not return. Ceasar quit the team before the end of last season due to "mental health," but signed a $$$ contract with a German professional team two weeks later so apparently she's recovered. (yeah, still bitter about that)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  7. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    6'5". Several over 6 footers on the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

True story. I was a sprinter and played college football at 5'7". After college I dated a woman on the USA ski team. She was 6' tall in her stocking feet and like to wear heels. She loved to walk around with her arm around me. Love making was interesting and creative.
    I know I am off topic, but this thread reminded me of her...sorry.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Did you like your seats at the O'Dome?

Did you enjoy the people who sat near you and have "gameday friendships" with them?

Were you comfortable with their location, year after year?

Fuhgeddaboudit!

From the Gator ticket office:
    All current season ticket holders will be required to pick new seats during the Seat Selection process. Due to the new seating configuration, season ticket holders will not be able to renew the seats they had in 2021.

10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
  12. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015

• Like Like x 3
  14. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    In 2003 our team was more athletic than USC but we could not match their height in the championship game. They literally went all 6’5- 6’6 in the starting lineup except for the setter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    As much as I didn't like the idea of no longer sitting next to my "game day friends" whom I've come to know over the years, the new seating plan is pretty brilliant. The old system was that season ticket holders got to select the best seats and then general admission got what was left over. No more. The player side of the court (club side), from floor to ceiling is general admission, first-come, first served. The reserved season ticket holders get the opposite side of the court and behind the court (end line) on the UF side.

This means that someone who purchases a walk-up ticket at the box office can get an excellent seat -- as good as any season ticket holder -- as long as they are willing to show up early. This will also mean that the lower bowl will be much fuller, creating excitement, since many season ticket holders just come for the "good" games. Now, general admission people -- who are actually at the game -- will be able to fill up the lower bowl.

My post above (#9) on this topic was pretty snarky and I officially eat my words. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    What is the new seating configuration?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. flnative75

flnative75 All American

Oct 17, 2011
    Tampa
    Taylor parks 2024 recruit ???? This kid isn’t even a top 100 setter! Makes no sense… Mary miss the mark with this one. Our setting can’t be that bad going forward

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Hello, I am Taylor Parks, a University of Florida commit and Junior at Calvary Christian in my 5th year at OTVA. As the 2021 FL Dairy Farmers 3A STATE PLAYER OF THE YEAR, MVP of my State Champion team, and leader of my top 10 nationally ranked club team, I'm a true competitor, love volleyball, and strive to be my best in everything I do. I am a high-IQ setter, strong leader on and off the court, am coachable and have a great relationship with my coaches. I push everyone around me to play at a higher level and desire to learn more from every coach, teammate, and opportunity I encounter. As many of my family members have played sports at the collegiate level, I am well aware of the commitment it takes to succeed as a student-athlete and am truly up for the challenge.

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. NWGaGator

NWGaGator Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    Anyone know how today's exhibition against Jacksonville went?

20. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022
    Awesome response! We could use her great attitude.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1