Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m assuming most of the outfield seating is on the hill down the third base line? Can you actually see the game from there? Would be nice to have a pickup truck and backup to the outfield fence like at some baseball venues.

2. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    No, as I remember that area is basically flat. The hill and decent BYOC seating is beyond the outfield, where our home runs land (although one got caught in a tree last year and remained there). There's a woods behind the hill and no possibility of driving a truck there.

Quaint would be a charitable description of this stadium. There are no bathrooms. Those facilities are in a building down the road as is the parking lot (other direction). There's a nice lake right by the parking lot with a walking trail/fishing/boating if you get there early.

3. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    The top 50 watch list for 2023 USA softball collegiate player of the year is out. Oklahoma has eight players on the list. Incredible. Arkansas, UCLA and Florida are tied for second with three players each.

4. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Would be 3rd straight year.

5. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My bad Johnny. I should have said the hill behind the outfield fence in left field. As I recall, center field and right field are basically flat behind the outfield fence. Believe I remember several vehicles backing up to center and right field fence a few years ago when UF came to town. Are you going to USF tournament?

6. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I watched a couple of innings of an intrasquad game today. Nothing spectacular, but I saw 3 good infield plays, but not by the usual suspects. Kinsey made one at 3rd, Regan at short, and Sam at 2nd.
    Pollard cleared the bases with a 3-run double off of Bender.
    The most surprising thing I saw was E pitching with a mask. I couldn't believe it was her, but everyone kept saying way to go E, so I accepted it finally.
    The scoreboard is the real deal. There were no videos, but the size of the numbers and letters and clarity are outstanding.
    I hope a lot of us can make the intrasquad game at noon on Saturday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Thanks for the update. I hope Pollard can step in like Adams did and be a real + at 2nd base and at the plate. I honestly don't think Walsh is the answer at SS unless she's improved a ton from last year. Not good foot movement and too many throwing errors. Wallace was solid there. If a mask helps Hightower with more confidence in the circle, I'm all for it. She a great competitor and has given her all for the Gators and I'd be thrilled if she had a standout final year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    Video of 2023 NCAA Softball Preview

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I went to the intrasquad yesterday. It was very interesting. There was a lot of movement in positions. Most of it was situational, putting runners on base with different out scenarios.
    Bailey had a home run and an outstanding catch in right field. It is so good to have her back.
    Skylar also had a home run and made a gem of a play at short. There was a runner on third, and a ball was smoked to her right. She fielded it and threw a strike to the catcher for the out.
    Overall, there was good hitting and fielding. I am ready for the season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    My attempt at starters for the year.

I'm sure there will be disagreement, but here is the defense: Where I have 2 names, it will depend on who is hitting consistently.

C-Wilkie/Roe/Longley-Wilkie is the best catcher and leader, and Roe is the best hitter. During
    Fall Ball Roe caught E, so it may come down to who is pitching.

1B-A Goelz/Gigante-AG hit .268 last year but went on a tear during Supers and WCWS, hitting .357 in the last six games with a team-leading 6 RBI. Gigante has played some first, but her lack of mobility would only be overcome by prodigious hitting, which I have yet to see.

2B-Pollard/Walsh-Pollard hit .420 with a 1.289 OPS on her travel ball team this past Summer. Defensively, she is a sure fielder with a powerful arm. Her game will translate well.
    Walsh is a good hitter but has been suspect as a fielder. She has been better this fall, but Pollard has a better range.

SS-Wallace

3B-Echols

LF-Kistler

CF-Falby

RF-Goddard

DP-Walsh/Roe

P-Hightower, Delbry, Trlicek, Bender/Gigante

If we started SEC tomorrow, this would be my batting order:
    Falby
    Wallace
    Echols
    Walsh
    Goelz
    Goddard
    Kistler
    Wilkie
    Pollard

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022
    Really good information. Thanks so much!

12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wouldn't totally write off Egan yet

13. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Agreed -- in addition, Wilkie is also the better throw to second.

I might swap these two -- I like Falby's speed to cover foul territory.

14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    When E is pitching.

15. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    It's situational, when Liz is pitching, Falby to left.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Parking permits just went on sale for the USF Tournament, 2/10 to 2/12. I really doubt that parking will sell out, but just in case:
    USF Parking and Transportation Services - Parking Portal (t2hosted.com)

There is a basketball game at the Yuengling Center next to the softball stadium on Sunday (shared parking lot). Our game starts an hour before the basketball game, so softball gets first crack at the parking.

17. GatorsOTK

GatorsOTK Junior

Jan 19, 2012
    I’m hoping we see a little less Wilkie this year and a little more Roe behind the plate. And if not Roe, let Longley go back there because I think she shuts down any opponent run game. She has a rocket launcher and gets it out quick.

I think we see Walsh and Pollard split a lot of time at 2nd until one hopefully pulls away with the job. I think Gigante gets plenty of opportunities at DH as well. This team has so much versatility this year. Goelz, Walsh, Gigante, Pollard, Roe, Wallace, and Longley can all play various positions so I am sure Coach Walton will throw out a ton of different lineups and defensive alignments early in the season.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    If Goelz picks up where she left off at the end of last year, it'll be hard to displace her from the lineup. But she can, also, play RF if Goddard doesn't hit like we all think she will. Wilkie is a really good defensive catcher - she just hasn't hit. Roe came in highly touted and hopefully her sophomore year will see a big jump in performance. Walsh can flat out hit - it's just finding a place for her in the lineup. I'm thinking Pollard will be like Hannah Adams was at 2nd base. Plug her in a watch for 4 years. But she has to prove it. Looking forward to the season. I still think the long term success will come down to how well the pitching staff performs. Offense & defense will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  19. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022
    I was impressed with Pal Egan in one of the scrimmages too. Just looks like a real ball player. Determined and tough.

I agree about the pitching being key. Wish we had gotten the transfer pitcher that went to Tennessee who was pitcher of the year in another conference. Pitching is coming our way in future years with our amazing recruiting classes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1