Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    So with the pitching situation, is it due to player talent/scouting or coaching?

2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Oklahoma just got a transfer from Big 10 pitcher of year at Michigan. Much like transfer last year from Texas State. OK pitching staff may be better next year than this year. OK coach is smart to recruit best pitching transfers from other programs. Great pitchers take you to and win in Omaha.

3. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Gators end up 5th in final softball polls. Job well done particularly for a team that supposedly is lacking in power hitting and pitching. Very much looking forward to next year. Go Gators.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    5th in the SEC and 5th in the final overall poll. Overachieving team and a great job of coaching by Tim Walton. The future is bright for Gator softball.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Kendra Falby just posted on IG that Alabama transfer Jenna Lord is headed to Ole Miss.

6. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Since this is behind a paywall, I am posting the whole article as Growl suggested.
    Get some tissues.

Butterfly in the Outfield: Florida's Kistler Feels Her Late Father's Presence

Katie Kistler noticed the butterfly fluttering around her in the outfield. Florida was on the verge of clinching a trip to the Women’s College World Series in the final game of the Super Regional against Virginia Tech.

Kistler’s dad, Jon, promised he would book the first flight to Oklahoma City if the Gators ever made it to the WCWS during her college career.

He never got the chance. Jon died last August after a battle with Covid.

Although he wasn’t present physically, Kistler knows her dad’s spirit was with her throughout the season. The butterfly confirmed her intuition. She spoke to it during the final innings of the game at Tech Softball Park in Blacksburg, Va.

Once she began celebrating with her team, Kistler shared a long hug with Florida head coach Tim Walton and told him about her dad’s presence.

“I was bawling my eyes out,” Kistler said. “I knew my dad was there, but I wish he was really there.”

Sunday will be an emotional day for Kistler and her family. It will be the first Father’s Day they celebrate without her dad. Kistler and her mom, Michelle, may visit him at the cemetery near their home in Orange Park, Fla.

“I always try to prepare myself for holidays, but I never know until the actual day of how it will go,” Kistler said. “When I see people posting about their dads, that is when it really hits me.”

Kistler and her dad were “best friends” who shared a similar personality and a love for softball. He was her first coach, and they spent nearly every weekend together during her childhood.

“Our bond honestly grew through softball,” Kistler said. “We would only talk softball and we always hit together and he would throw to me almost every day after off days from high school and stuff. He was the reason I played softball and the reason why I got to Florida for the most part.”

[​IMG]
    Kistler and her dad, Jon
    Kistler’s parents both contracted Covid last August. Her dad seemed fine during the first few days, but suddenly took a turn for the worse. He was struggling to breath and was eventually transported to the hospital.

“It was very unexpected too because he was a healthy guy. He had no problems at all,” Kistler said. “He was a little bit of a bigger guy, but right before that he was running on the treadmill everyday and active. It really came out of nowhere.”

Jon was placed on a ventilator, but did not show much improvement. The doctors decided to put him in a medically induced coma.

“I was really freaking out, because at that time a lot of people were passing from Covid,” Kistler said. “My brother also had Covid too. He was in Indiana and both my brother and dad were induced into comas and on ventilators. Everyone was scared.”

Although her brother recovered, Kistler’s dad didn’t survive. The nurses told Kistler’s mom his heart stopped a few times on the night of Aug. 10th, and Kistler began making plans to drive home from Gainesville to be with her family.

But before she could get into the car the following day, her mom called to say her dad had died. Kistler was in her apartment with some of her teammates when she received the news.

“They were hugging me and holding me. They called my mom and sister for me and tried to figure out what to do,” Kistler said. “I live an hour and a half away from here and it was like 9 at night and all of them took me and my car all the way home. They were there for me supporting me.”

The entire Florida team attended her dad’s memorial service. The Gators made the trip on a bus to be with Kistler and her family.

Once Kistler returned to the field to begin her sophomore season, she struggled to get through the first few practices.

“I try to be a really positive person, but the first weeks of the fall season was really, really tough for me. I will admit that,” she said. “I just kept seeing my dad through softball and it was hard.”

Kistler had a long talk with Florida assistant coach Aric Thomas that helped her begin to work through her grief.

“He pretty much told me to take the game and remember my dad through that. I should be playing for him,” Kistler said. “Coach Thomas and I have a really close bond and I felt comfortable talking to him about it. He and Coach Walton told me whatever I needed to please tell them right away, and I just took it one day at a time and tried to do everything for my dad and make him proud the best I could.”

Kistler ended up having a breakout season for the Gators.

After receiving only 11 at-bats and hitting .091 as a freshman, she hit .354 with 24 RBIs and 33 runs scored in 2022. Kistler had a perfect fielding percentage, with 103 putouts, five assists and several home-running robbing catches in big games.

“That is what I am most proud of,” Kistler said. “I could have easily just given up because I didn’t play last year. But I just took that and worked hard and was able to improve for my team. I am super proud I could benefit my team in any way I could this year.”

Kistler got a tattoo on her right arm in her dad’s memory with his birthday, angel wings and a halo. For the rest of her softball career, she will keep searching for a butterfly in the outfield.

“After every game, I did get sad honestly because I wished my dad were there,” Kistler said. “But every game I did well in, I was happy that he was watching me from the best seat.”

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Cali Decker to San Diego State

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I wish the best for her. If you don't create a dumpster fire on your way out (e.g. the Fagans), once a Gator, always a Gator!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. VegasGator91

VegasGator91 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV

10. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Legend

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Ya gotta think that this is more than just softball related or maybe Cali's just short-sighted. I hope she didn't downgrade from the #28 university in the nation to the #148 university just to get playing time. While it's great that UF can offer a competitive softball program, it's even better that the girls leave UF with an extremely valuable diploma, given UF's stature. This isn't exactly football/baseball where a lucrative professional contract might be waiting so need playing time to show scouts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Amanda leaving the team:

12. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 Freshman

Oct 10, 2008
    I thought Cali Decker had great potential and could’ve earned a starting spot next season.

And I’m so sick of Oklahoma getting all the good transfer players. I thought Fla had a chance with the Michigan pitcher (more playing time), but I guess not.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Dallas Goodnight to Georgia.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
  15. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do not count on Elizabeth being a pitcher for us next year. I was never in Med school but my guess is if she gets into the FL med school she will not have 25 hours a week to practice and be gone and entire weekend every other weekend plus out for a least a week when we go out to Cali in the spring. The Med students I know feel lucky to get 4 hours of free time a week let alone a day!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Amanda's man going to Clemson as Volunteer Assistant Coach.
    Clemson Softball might have ideas, too.
    Amanda Lorenz
    @amandalorenz18

LFG
    @GriffMazur
    We are moving to Clemson!!! So thankful for this opportunity for Griffin Go Tigers!!!!

76890245-8533-49B6-9477-62B7EAD28FB4.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    From a career development standpoint she would probably be well served to spread her wings and get a couple of years in somewhere else. Then she would be perfect to bring in as an asst, heck maybe CTW replacement one day if that's the career path she chooses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  20. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 Freshman

Oct 10, 2008
    Oh man, if we got Haley Lee. That would be a home run hire.

Bring her in along a transfer pitcher.

• Agree Agree x 2