Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    For what it's worth, FLORIDA has the highest OPS in conference-only games at .893. They are the only team above .500 in SLG, and they have the second highest OBP at .382 (MSU is at .400). LSU just passed us in BA, but FLORIDA still a respectable 3rd best in the SEC. You can add your own margins if you like based on who they have played, but I wouldn't point to offense as a weak spot. Just my two bits.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    Exactly. I'm guessing 99% of every .470 hitting player in history eventually saw their average dip to .430 territory.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    For pitching: 8th in WHIP, 8th in ERA, last in Ks, BUT...tied for first in triples allowed!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

4. urban06

urban06 Sophomore

Dec 16, 2017
    yes and no..............the parity in many sports is becoming more pronounced. Sometimes its the finite things which Walton is good at that seperate wins and loses. Thats what makes this team both fun and frustrating to watch. They can go sweep a top 5 team and then lose to USF. They can literally go 3-0 or 0-3 vs Mizzu. Playing the gators this year is like drawing Princeton in the first round of the NCAA baksetball tournment. Looks like an easy win for your number 1 seed team..................next thing you know your down 5 with 3 minutes left to play.

5. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    Trio of Gators Make USA Softball Rosters for 2024 World Cup and Japan All-Star Series

Florida alum Amanda Lorenz was named to the 2024 World Cup roster, while current players Skylar Wallace and Jocelyn Erickson were named to the Japan All-Star Series roster.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Three representatives of the Florida softball program were selected to a pair of international rosters as announced by USA Softball this Friday morning.

UF alum Amanda Lorenz (2016-19) was selected to be on USA Softball’s 2024 World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) Women’s World Cup roster, while current players Skylar Wallace and Jocelyn Erickson were selected to USA Softball’s Japan All-Star Series roster.

Lorenz will compete for a WBSC World Championship this summer with the Red, White and Blue as the 2024 World Cup will take place July 15-21, in Castions di Strada, Italy at the Campo Comunale da Softball. Team USA will compete in Group A with Canada, China and host country Italy. Group B will consist of Australia, Japan, the Netherland and Puerto Rico.

Joining Lorenz is Head Coach Tim Walton as he was announced as an Assistant Coach with USA Softball for the World Cup.

Wallace and Erickson were selected to the U.S. Women’s Elite Team compete in the Japan All-Star Series that is set to take place July 4-8, across three cities in Japan. Team USA will travel to Nagoya, Fujinomiya and Yokohama and will play a pair of games against Great Britain in addition to the three-game series against Japan.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    Jocey is finally getting national recognition.

• Like Like x 1
  7. yellowball

yellowball Freshman

Nov 20, 2023
    This is correct. It's no coincidence that some of them stopped hitting when conference play started.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Japan Series Roster. No surprises as far as I'm concerned except possibly Taryn Kern. She was touted to be a huge get in the portal for Stanford after her freshman year at Indiana but she has struggled some. Hitting .283 with 5 home runs but only 12 rbis. 2024 Women's National Team - USA Softball Edit: For some reason it defaults to the main national team roster even when trying to copy and paste the Japan roster. Just go to the page and click on the Japan roster link.

10. sotacracker

sotacracker Sophomore

Apr 13, 2007
    Rothrock is finished. no control anymore and hits to many batters. walks ne3eds rest. stop using the two freshman during week,

11. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Prior to tonights game we were a game behind Tennessee. if Tennessee ends up losing the game tonight. Would tennesee still be a game ahead of us?

12. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Vols getting hammered so far tonight, so yea if they lose, Gators still a game back. However Aggies are now essentially tied with the Gators for second. (9-4 vs 10-5,)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    OU, OkSU, UGA, UTenn, LSU and the Gators all went down tonight.

14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Keagan is being vastly overworked, IMO. No matter how good she is, they are just putting too much on her shoulders. And our supposedly vaunted lineup has to be more poroductive against SEC pitching. Not in panic mode, but very concerned.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    She is 3rd in innings pitched in all of D1 softball. The two in front of her are seniors.

16. tggator07

tggator07 Junior

Apr 26, 2022
    I do think we need to ease up on KR’s pitching. She needs more time to develop pitches that can overcome D1 hitting. In almost 500 innings in her three years playing varsity ball, she amassed 1080 K’s, 56 BB’s, 11 HBP. Granted that’s not D1 level, but her control was fine during that period. My only conclusion is she is trying to do too much, or hasn’t yet mastered pitches she needs to defeat batters at this level. Our only option is to incorporate all of our pitchers in more innings of play. With that said our defense has got to tighten up, especially with our batting experiencing slumps.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. yellowball

yellowball Freshman

Nov 20, 2023
    Keagan needs to be rested. Ava need to make her focus pitching. Defensive players (2nd and 3rd) who do not appear to be able to produce at a conference level need to be taken from the line up just like any other team would do. Why are we living and dying on the same players? We have a team full of talent. That was part of what W was so pleased about at the beginning of the season was the depth of our bench. Why aren’t we using it? We have multiple players who are capable of defensively playing second and third base. Not to mention 1st. I believe in this team, but we need to change some things if we are going to be successful.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    We knew going into the season that we would need Keagan and Ava to be great in order to have a good season, which they have and probably have even exceeded expectations to this point.

But it’s strange that Walton literally has no faith in anyone else as a #3 or even someone that can reliably come in in relief and at least eat up some innings. I don’t think I’ve seen any other team only rely on two pitchers, at least not in the regular season.

I understand that we struck out, pardon the pun, on getting another ace from the transfer portal (perhaps from circumstances beyond our control), but why didn’t we at least get someone that could be a capable midweek starter/reliever?

19. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    TW is a great coach who has put Florida softball on the map. I believe his best strength is his ability to attract great players. I think there is room for improvement when it comes to on the field day to day management.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. yellowball

yellowball Freshman

Nov 20, 2023
    I would really love to see Wooten do well. We need a third!

• Agree Agree x 3