Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Skylar has been in a slump. Hopefully she will break out of it soon. She is not the only one:

Ava Brown seems to have hit a freshman slump. Her batting average has dropped from above .300 to .266. Ava has been hitless in her last 5 games.

Ariel Kowalewski has also hit a freshman slump. Like Brown, her batting average has dropped from above.300 to .272. Ariel has 3 hits in her last 10 games.

Mia Williams has been in a season long slump. Her new glasses were supposed to help but haven't so far other than the homerun she hit when she first got her glasses. Mia's fielding % is .947 with 5 errors, includes errors in the last 2 games. As a freshman comparison, Reagan Walsh as the starting SS had a fielding % of .796 with 11 errors which got her moved to DP. Reagan hit .268 for the season. Tim Walton gave Reagan lots of rope before taking her off of SS. Mia is batting .161 and is hitless in her last 8 games, only 10 hits for the season. At some point, Tim Walton's rope will likely run out regardless of Mia's potential. UF has to have a productive bat in the lineup. UF has been winning, but something will have to be done if Mia doesn't break out of her slump. What that something is I have no clue. Reagan bats whether she is DP, 2nd, or 3rd. Putting Reagan back on 2nd may be the answer, but what about DP and Ariel's slump?

JacksonvilleJeff is right on some things, but his excessive negativity and inaccurate statements of opinions is wrong. Stick around Jeff, just be more positive. It isn't your calling to call out the board by being negative for having a positive feel for a team that has so far exceeded all preseason expectations by a wide margin.

Insofar as the team is concerned, these players need to break out of their slumps if UF is to have the kind of season it is capable of having. The sooner, the better. Starting at Missouri would be nice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I don’t think Rothrock is comfortable in a reliever role, especially when she inherits runners on the bases. She’s the type of pitcher that can be inconsistent in finding the strike zone early on but builds more confidence and rhythm as the game goes on.

The comeback against LSU aside, this team’s offense goes as Skyler Wallace goes. Her ability to get on base and her threat to steal sets the table. She’s in a REALLY bad slump right now. She’s been striking out on pitches that she never normally swings at or at least makes contact to foul them off.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I agree with you on Keagan. Her place is not as a reliever. As you said, she needs too much time to adjust with runners on base.

Skylar is a big component of our offense, but Kendra is the catalyst. When she gets on base, it disrupts the other team. Then our following batters hit better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I would not bench her, I’d move her down to the 4th spot behind Jocey and in front of Reagan. Give her a chance to work it out between almost 100rbi in front and behind her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    Good idea. Just surprised we haven’t seen her in any games, even for a batter or two.

6. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    Just surprised we haven’t seen her at all, if only for a batter or two. As times goes on, decent arms will be needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. yellowball

yellowball Freshman

Nov 20, 2023
    The problem is not her speed. She throws harder than Miller. There's no spin so she's easy to see. Just as an add on, seeing the fatigue of KR and AB, not to mentions Brown's bat slipping in conference play, I have to wonder do we need her playing 1B, batting AND pitching? I feel like that's fine for earlier in the season, but maybe we need her focussed on pitching? Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Have thought this for awhile.
    Let Goelz get some ABs when Brown pitches. She is a veteran who is the best 1st baseman on the team and a better hitter than what she has shown this year. JMO.

9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    We're 34-7. I just don't see Coach Walton changing what's been working. We're doing much better than anybody expected and knew there would be ups and downs with the freshmen. I say we should just enjoy the ride and not get too anxious. As for Wallace, she's as hard a worker as there is and I have no worries about her. Her slump is dropping from hitting .470 to .430. It's noticeable because she's normally consistently great and maybe it's good to see that she's only human.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    all that matter is how we are playing with May and obviously this team cam be really hot.

11. kingator1

kingator1 VIP Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Panama City Beach, FL
    I’m no expert and have only been following softball the last 5 or 6 years but to me it looks like a lot, not all, of the ladies are tight and not having as much fun as it appeared to be at the beginning of the year. I know a couple losses can affect them mentally but I think the coaching staff needs to do something to hit the reset button for some of the ladies mentally. That’s just my unprofessional opinion based entirely off body language and what the tv shows.

12. orangeblue77

orangeblue77 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Even the all time greats get in slumps from time to time. It’s so awesome when they finally break out! I trust our ladies will indeed break out and hopefully this weekend:). Don’t forget some could be dealing with nagging injuries that we will never know about because softball doesn’t report on that kinda thing.

13. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Thankfully Kendra is catching fire recently! Literally and figuratively.

• Like Like x 1
  14. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Historically CTW teams have a tendency to play their best as the season goes on and the lights get brighter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Let me flip this a bit. When Ava isn’t pitching rest her in the dugout, let Avery play first and bat. Then if Ava is needed to save the day she could at least have a proper bullpen workout and time to get in the right headspace. When she is pitching however you just can’t take her bat out of the lineup, she has a tendency to hit better when she’s pitching. Just my thoughts. I do love the idea of taking her off first. We have depth at 1b so let her rest a bit.

16. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Well I hope that’s not what’s going on. Fun, joy, love of the game and your teammates is what it’s all about. I’ve only been listening on radio so I can’t comment on their body language. Hopefully they find some joy this weekend in Missouri!

17. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Out of the box thinking and I love it! If nothing else it takes a tiny bit of pressure off of her. However I’m glad you suggested this rather than me because I imagine Skylar punching the face of whoever suggested moving her down in the lineup lol. Take one for the team 1990!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. yellowball

yellowball Freshman

Nov 20, 2023
    We also have Barnard who was critical to our success against LSU. I would like to see what she could do left in the lineup.

• Like Like x 1
  19. urban06

urban06 Sophomore

Dec 16, 2017
    Give me 9 slumping players batting .430 anyday my friend...........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I think the very easy nonconference schedule has given them exceptionally inflated stats which makes us think they they are better than what they are. This team is very young and talented and in due time they will become the best team in the country. Patience and you will be rewarded. It probably won't be until next year until the dynasty begins.

• Agree Agree x 2