Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I hope Kyle Crooks and you are right. But I've checked the ESPN app through my ROKU Box and it's only showing the game on ESPN+. I checked a couple of hours ago and just checked again. We shall see.

2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I called ESPN and talked to a guy and he said it will be on espn+.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    A fly in the ointment. Scroll down on the ESPN app and go to "softball". It shows our game on ESPN+ As a BIG 12 production! That has to be a first in history and indicates to me that UF again fell down on doing a broadcast and Okie State somehow pulled some strings. I will bet the farm that never, ever, before has an SEC home game been produced by the BIG 12. But, they have to still be using the UF broadcasting facility and camera crews. Nothing like this has happened before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    This needs to be investigated by Congress! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    too bad, too sad, it is listed as big 12 on espn+. hopefully, this is incorrect or on secn+ too.

6. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Gators now playing a doubleheader against North Florida on Wednesday and both games on ESPN +. TW doing a good job of making up for the lost games this past weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    If it is in fact a BIG 12 production, I don't see how it could be on SEC+. I wonder if Okie State will be the "home" team. Even though UF says on facebook and twitter that it is SEC+ and Kyle Crooks says his radio broadcast has been moved to SEC+, UF still doesn't indicate any tv broadcast on their official schedule page which I find illuminating. All Okie State "home" games would be on ESPN+ as a non SEC and non ACC school. But to actually broadcast the game, unless Okie State is bringing in a mobile broadcasting facility and camera crew, they have to be using ours. Even though the game was announced yesterday, there was never a tv offering until sometime this morning. More than likely Okie State found out that UF had dropped the ball again and they somehow took matters into their own hands to get the game on tv. All of this is wild and never done before on a broadcast from a SEC stadium.

8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Disney is growing stronger and stronger in taking over the pay streaming sports market.

9. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    In football, both the charlotte game last year and the eastern washington the year before were on espn+ and sec+. I was at both games and had to walk my dad through picking the correct stream on the phone while I was in the stadium. Basketball has done the same on more than one occasion. The game threads are always filled with people who click on the wrong game links. These are home games in Gainesville. It happens, and it’s not that rare.

10. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    If that is the case, then it was still a SEC production with some sort of "gimmee" to Charlotte and Eastern Washington since they are ESPN+ schools.

11. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I think it was more a way to trick people into an espn+ sub, as they purposely make the link to that stream easier to find than the sec+ stream that most of us already get for no additional charge. People who don’t use the app very often wait until the last second go to watch their game, immediately see the espn+ feed and think they need to pay extra to watch the game. They sign up even though they didn’t need to. Seems like it happens every time, then they’ll argue with you about how they had to pay extra even though they didn't need to. They just needed to learn how to navigate the app.

12. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Dang plus networks

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Big 12 Now is one of the channel selections on the ESPN app and it shows the Gator/OSU game on Big 12 Now, but everything on there says "exclusively" on ESPN+. so I doubt tonights game will be on SEC+ as well. Would love to be wrong though.

14. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    No question ESPN has been doing lots of things to increase ESPN+ subscribers by moving the type of games, even including MLB, that have never before been on ESPN+. The kicker tonight, however, is that this is apparently a BIG 12 production and that is simply off the charts never been done before involving a SEC team in a SEC home stadium. Inexplicable. I am curious who is the "home" team tonight and would not be surprised if it is Okie State.

15. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I don't think you are wrong. Showing it as a BIG 12 production it couldn't be on SEC+. But, then, not one single shred of anything we are seeing with tonight's broadcast makes any historical sense. So, who knows, perhaps it will be on the Comedy Channel also.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
  17. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    All that may have been part of the negotiation to get them to travel here. It was an unscheduled game added at the last second. I’m just happy we’re getting a video broadcast at all.

18. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I wasn’t really making any guesses about this game. I was just saying that we have most certainly had gator home games in multiple sports broadcast on espn+.

Being on espn+, espn+ and sec+, sec+, 12now, espn+ and 12now and sec+, or sec+ and 12now, none of those or any combination thereof would surprise me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    floridagators.com now links to espn+. i won't pay to watch 1 game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    There are 4 SB and BB games on espn+ this week.