Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    BTW, I spoke with Baylee yesterday at the church. She said she was doing well, but would continue to wear the knee protection for extra precaution.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I do not know yet.

3. GatorsOTK

GatorsOTK Junior

Jan 19, 2012
    First game of the season, I could see Kistler and Goelz both getting the start. Maybe even Wilkie as well, but it’s hard getting all 3 of them in the same lineup with their positions and the depth in the team. But as 3 seniors who have heavily contributed to the team, I could see them getting the start to begin the season. Mia looks locked into 2nd. Fall ball might not have showed it but I think Pollard is going to be the new regular 3B, if not everyday. And I think Ava Brown takes the circle in the first game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One thing I somewhat expect is that the pitchers focus solely on pitching this season. Given the innings they are going to have to throw, the stress and pressure on freshmen, and the absolute necessity of keeping them healthy.....I just don't see the upside of having them hit and/or play 1B. We have plenty of quality position players, both defensively and at the plate. So many we may struggle to get enough AB's for good players. Doesn't seem likely we further dilute reps for those players by throwing freshman pitchers into the mix. I guess if one of them just looks unconscious at the plate that could change things, but that is unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I think Diamond Gators is the best forum in Swamp Gas Sports. The people are friendlier and there is little criticism of each other, coaches, & players. We also have some very knowledgeable posters. I like it a lot. I guess when you have two teams that often make it to World Series and occasionally win a national championship it is much more fun to follow. Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, they have to advertise somewhere.
    IMG_0210-1.jpg
    Chico's Bail Bonds

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    It is astounding he has made it this far. I don't know the details of each of the fifteenth surgeries but that it is fifteen says all that needs to be said. I keep that family in my mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Athletes Unlimited has announced the venue for the short axillary season.....Wichita State. Wichita State?

• Like Like x 1
  10. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Interesting on Pollard, who I really like. Look forward to seeing Mia sliding into 2B and home;)

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Well, Mia has size, speed, and tough as nails. Sorry to have made the previous comment.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Rick, some interesting points you bring up from your lineup.
    1) I see you penciled in Lefty at third while others guessing Kowalewski. Gotta believe it will be hard to keep lefty out of lineup.
    2) Agree on Baylee. She was batting second in lineup early last year and absolutely crushing ball before injured. Can she stay healthy?
    3) Reagan played short briefly before moving to second. Has her move to DH been confirmed by coaching staff or is this a guess we have better fielders? I agree she was shaky at times at second just wondering how she feels about not playing second?
    4) This one from Scappy’s comments. Scrappy thinks Brown may supplant Reagan in lineup at DH at times. I have a hard time thinking Brown can be that far along at plate to replace Reagan. Reagan seems ready for a breakout season and could provide 15+ homeruns and lots of RBI.
    5) Will be interesting to see which of the freshmen step forward and win a starting job in field and more importantly at the plate with this deep lineup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    This year there is only one Softball Diamond Club membership level. The fee is $35 and it includes a t-shirt and decal. The club encourages direct support to the softball scholarship endowment fund and to the Softball Florida Victorious fund.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  15. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    A link would give us lazy Gators the opportunity to show support.

16. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    See entry #3832 above. The link is there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I just think Lefty has to be in the lineup until she proves she shouldn't which I don't expect. Mia the same. So that fills the infield other than first base. If Baylee isn't healthy, Lefty could go to right field but her primary position is somewhere in the infield. As for Reagan, nothing has been confirmed anywhere by the staff that I know about. I can see her playing first at times which could give Ava time at DH. We need Reagan's bat in the lineup every game. I think the point to all of this is there are a lot of talented pieces to fit in and involve several players that are capable of playing multiple positions. Jocey, obviously, is the go-to catcher but you need to spell her at times. She will be worn out if you try to play her every inning of every game. Emily needs to see some action and Ariel can also catch along with resting someone in the infield on occasion. And I still haven't mentioned Avery, Katie, Brooke, Cassidy and Alyssa in this post. It is a puzzle with many, many pieces available to fill it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I can understand this as the DC cannot give money/benefits directly to players.
    If you give to FV, make sure to designate it for softball.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    All good stuff. I just have a hunch the Alyssa Hovermale is going to emerge once pre-season practice opens up in January and will win the 3rd base slot.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Agree with Walsh’s bat, and I agree with another poster saying this could be a breakout year for her as well.

• Like Like x 1