Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Baseball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Agreed. Kendrick is another player who seemed to do quite a bit better against conference pitching/better competition.

2. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Baseball team beats up on UNF in Jax tonight 11-2. Gators (7-2) used 6 pitchers and only gave up 4 hits, 4 walks and had 11 K's. Josh Rivera had 2 hits and 5 RBI, Derec Fabian had 3 hits and 2 RBI, Jud Fabian had 2 hits and an RBI, and Colby Halter and Kendrick Calilao had 2 hits each, as UF had 13 hits and 6 walks in an easy win. They play FAMU Wednesday at 7 pm before heading to Miami for a weekend series.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Josh can be solid and a run producer and look out!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    I like the fact that KC is getting it going with the bat. The other guys as well. Hopefully Armstrong gets more consistent at the plate as well. Last few games have been nice to read about. Hopefully the video of teams past lit a great fire/desire in these guys and it will be a great year!
    GO GATORS!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Keep working hard Gators—we see the ground you’ve gained—make it pay off to the point that it’s fun to go to the yard every day!

6. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Don't forget the defense. Last year's defense stressed the pitchers too much, while this year's defense has been solid - so far.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Absolutely @ocalaman — while I didn’t specify in my post before this one I meant ground gained across the board. Pitching, Defense, Offense—our execution being both spread throughout the lineup, Base running, and team attitude.

Our approach to all aspects of the game is well ahead of our efforts last year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    #14 UF baseball lost their series opener at Miami 5-2, dropping their record to 8-3. It started out as a pitching duel between staff aces, two of the best leftys in the country, but the Hurricanes got to Hunter Barco in the bottom of the 4th with a 2 run HR, then added 2 more in the 5th on 3 hits. The Gator bullpen was good the last 4 innings, only giving up an unearned run as a result of a throwing error and passed ball by substitute catcher Rene Lastres. UF's only run came in the 7th on RBI singles from Sterlin Thompson & Wyatt Langford. The Gators had 7 hits and 8 walks and had many chances to do damage, but stranded 12 baserunners, as they just couldn't get the clutch hits. Saturday's game has been moved from 7 pm to 6 pm and will be on ACCNX.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    UF baseball evened their series with Miami, beating them 8-1 . Brandon Sproat was great in the start, going 6.1 innings, giving up no runs on 4 hits, with 2 walks and 8K's. Nick Ficarrotta threw the rest of the game, allowing 1 unearned run on 2 hits and 5 K's. Colby Halter led off the game with a double, took 3rd on a wild pitch and came home on a bad throw from the catcher. In the 3rd inning, with 2 outs, Halter struck out swinging, but the catcher dropped the ball and Halter beat the throw. Jud Fabian followed with a HR. The Gators put it away in the top of the 9th on an RBI single from BT Riopelle and a squeeze bunt by Josh Rivera, plus a 3-run HR from Kendrick Calilao. The rubber game is at noon Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I should have also mentioned that Calilao made 2 really good defensive plays at first, one of them savings 2 runs. We need his bat to get going, but he's clearly the best defensive first baseman on the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Glove is excellent and saved us runs. He’s by far our best glove there.

13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Just found this from Sully-

“We made an emphasis on [small ball],” O’Sullivan said. “We have to have the ability to score runs different ways. Obviously, I think we’re a really good offensive team, but, when you face really good pitchers – and tonight was that example and [Friday’s] another example – you’ve got to be able to do different things.

Love the change in approach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sounds like he is thinking Omaha where relying on the long ball is not the way to win.

Added in edit: I am not a big fan of small ball early in the game. When you have a line up with some power it takes away potential big innings.

Now late in a close game it is critical that your team is able to execute small ball for that one run that makes the difference.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Gator baseball won the series at Miami by beating the Canes 11-3. Tim Manning pitched a solid 4.1 innings, giving up 1 run on 3 hits, 2 walks and 5 K's. Blake Purnell got the win by throwing 3.2 innings, giving up only 2 hits with no walks and 4 K's. Phillip Abner has a tough 9th, being charged with 2 runs on 2 hits, 2 walks and a wild pitch, getting nobody out. Ryan Slater got the last 3 outs. Miami pitchers gave up 9 hits and 14 walks. Gator bats were led by Wyatt Langford's 3 hits and 2 RBI, Colby Halter's 2 hits, Jud Fabian's 4 runs scored, Josh Rivera's 2 RBI and a HR from Kendrick Calilao.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree that Sully is thinking big pic but I’d say big pic would apply here w winning a series against a LSU or an SEC tournament game. A run manufactured small ball way tends to have a psychological effect on the opponent.
    I’m beyond thrilled that our team has transformed and is thinking bunt at any point. Y’all know how I feel with the guard that thinks that a 3 hole hitter can’t bunt. It’s about winning and doing whatever it takes to win.

17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Missed the live action, just watched the replay and a lot to like. Always great to beat canes in coral gables, esp in dominating fashion.

Encouraged by Manning's performance, too bad he couldn't hold on for the win. Threw more fastballs than usual I think and was effective, breakers not so much. Purnell has been amazing, high 80s with a lot of movement and throws strikes.

Defense seems much improved, great catches by Thompson and Fabian. Infield D was solid. Still a little concerned about the catching position, but that's probably picky.

Hitters have an improved approach, hence all the walks, not too many wild swings at balls in the dirt and many of the outs were line drives. Great to see KC with 2 HRs this weekend and Armstrong with a seeing eye single. Good to know we can bunt if need be.

Still early tho.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. MatsideObserver

Apr 24, 2008
    Really impressive weekend for the Gators. To lose on Friday night with Barco and come back and win the next two easily was great to see. Incredible outing by Sproat - we've all been waiting to finally see that happen - hope it continues. Can't say enough good things about Nick and Blake. With Nesbit and Pogue joining the mix, the pitching situation is improving by leaps and bounds. Great defense and more of an attacking, aggressive offensive. This season should be fun!

• Like Like x 2
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Mat—

Completely agree—I think we might be in for a real treat. The one thing that’s a lil’bothersome (that might be lookupable ) has got to be the physical and mental errors we have unexpectedly witnessed from our catchers. I surely didn’t see anything like that coming. Hopefully some drills and mental preparedness will correct the issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. MatsideObserver

Apr 24, 2008
    Agreed 100% - we have been sloppy behind the plate no matter who is in there. My second pet peeve lol is that we have had 3 "swipe and miss" tags at second (and I think with 3 different infielders) rather than letting the runner slide into the tag. Guess you're doing well when it's the little things - haven't heard anyone call for the hitting coach to be fired yet so that's a good thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1