Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

One writer sees potential for Mullen in NFL

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Nava_Gator, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    As do we...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sflagator

sflagator Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen was clearly saying that he hadn’t even thought about it, and if he was contacted it would be on his radar. Unfortunately he used the word ”considered,” leading to some to speculate.

Also, take your condescending b.s. and go pound sand.... that’ll teach me to post on the free board ....

3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Any person in his position should be smart enough to always say that everything is on the table....

That gives you power, money, and leverage...

I wouldn't overthink it...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. durango95

durango95 Senior

Sep 7, 2019
    Yes. I agree you are part of the blame for keeping this thread going. Wasn't that what you were complaining about? Seems somewhat counter intuitive.

5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Mullen to me seems so clearly like a college guy, I think he may be able to do this a couple of times for a raise, but not quite bleed us dry... which is good... All the more reason I'm in favor of hiring clear-cut college guys... Less risk of jumping ship to the NFL...

Oklahoma seemed to be at risk of that recently with Lincoln Riley, so they had to pay him a bunch of money... That's also a solution... Better that than paying insane buyouts for coaches not to coach your school... *cough* Will Muschamp... *cough* Jim McElwain... Can't say I blame them though... Masterful job on the part of their agents... :D

6. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Unfortunately, we can't lock it, since there was a link to a story, <no matter how full of shit it is>

7. sflagator

Apr 3, 2007
    Been here for all of two months, already being a jerk. Another keyboard smartass. That’s what the block feature is for I guess. In 3... 2... 1....

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  8. For adding fuel to the fire...for saying something that has no basis in fact...its the same thing with Stoops to FSU...I knew it wasnt happening because every year his name is thrown out there...what benefit was there for Feldman to even mention it? None whatsoever...Mullen has never hinted at the NFL....so in the simplest form, its fake news because its simply not true or going to happen

9. you should venture over to Too Hot....you will be blocking certain people within minutes

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. sflagator

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ve been. I stay away

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. durango95

durango95 Senior

Sep 7, 2019
    Just for the record I too don't put any credence into this rumor. That was the reason I posted the link to CDM's interview. Until that point I hadn't posted in the thread at all. But, thanks for your input.

12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

As someone who spends a good deal of time on both sides...payment has nothing to do with it. Condescension exists just as much on one side as it does the other.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

There are certain, rare times, when everything just falls into place........
    When the stars align, and everything is right with the World....

This is what's hap;pening with the Gator Natrion....
    Stricklin knew that he had the right man for the job when he hired Coach Mullen durng halftimeat the Gators/Noles 2017 game....

And, then there's Heavener....who sees the future of the Gators under Mullen's leadership, and contributes major $$$ into the future of the progam, by spearheading the construction of the Gators new facilities, ...

Now, a couple notable quotes from the below article.....

"When Mullen returned to UF to take over the program prior to the 2018 season, Heavener's interest in the facility heightened"...

"He watched as Mullen led the Gators to a 10-3 record in his first season and a Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl victory over Michigan, and followed that with a 10-2 season in 2019 and a second consecutive victory over Florida State. Heavener's talks with Phil Pharr, executive director of Gator Boosters, and Stricklin intensified about possibly contributing to the project."

And....

""Everything really started happening when Dan arrived. I think from the very beginning, Dan said he wasn't going to let a lack of facilities to stand in the way of the Gators getting back into the forefront of SEC competition,'' Heavener said. "He's done what he needed to do with the resources he had, which just speaks to him being that much greater a coach."

Gators to Name New Football Facility after Heavener - Florida Gators

Stricklin got the right man, and Heavener knew it....and there's that inherent chemistry there that's very rare...It's going to be long lasting....

Mullen's not going anywhere but up...with the Gators...and that's gonna be for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I never want to see CDM leave, but a few days/weeks ago, there were multiple people in several threads were unhappy with CDM. I admit, I was triggered by the negativity that I mentioned "I wished coach Mullen goes to the NFL next year" just to see what the negators will say after the team goes back to being a, "Oh no, we suck again." team. I'm sorry. I didn't think my wish will become a reality.

15. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What kind of NFL owner decides to fire his coach, and then turns to the starting QB's college coach for answers? Especially when said college coach has never played for or won a national championship as a head coach? It is rare that college coaches get a shot at the pros, and most of them do not work out (Spurrier, Saban, etc.). Pete Carroll has lasted a while, but he was believed to be behind the magic of the mid-2000's Southern Cal teams (who competed for national championships). The NFL might like to see Mullen work as a QB coach, but that is very unlikely, as it would be a major pay cut for Mullen, and he would have to bring in an option-based system for his QB that might or might not get him killed. I think Mullen is safe from the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. gator1gear

gator1gear Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Hiram, Ga
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    When all is said and done... I can really see Coach Mullen being a top 3 Gator coach of all time... maybe even top 2... it's just going to be hard to dethrone Spurrier and Meyer... But then again, I hold Meyer in higher regard than most on this board...

EDIT: I'd say if he wins an SEC Championship in today's competitive SEC, he'd be solidified as top 3... anything further would greatly depend on longevity and just how far we go and how much we can sustain success... Not easy to compete with Meyer and Spurrier...

• Like Like x 2
  18. WhattaGator

Somehow....

I believe that Mullen wants to surpass Meyer to become the #2.

19. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    A man only needs so much money , the rest is just for showing off

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I give up. His answer simply could have been "I just got to the University of Florida so why would I consider the NFL?" "What would I gain?" but nooooo.....he would consider it after a long 2 years here. I am finished. We arent even allowed to enjoy any semblance of being at the top for any length of time (re: Meyer) before people come knocking.