Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

One must think Copeland is very much back in play

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by UFreak, Dec 20, 2017.

1. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Hard to believe they stay under the 85 cap. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol. There are several grayshirt candidates included in that list.

3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Copeland would be crazy to go there. Plus we are all idiots for worrying he is even considering it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with you brother. It wasn't but 2 weeks ago that Jacob was throwing shade at Bama and fsu. I'd (we'd) be foolish to believe that Jacob was the only call they made that night. Of course Bama is interested in him because they'd be nuts not too. Copeland is that good.

Not to over-simplify this but Jacob really likes Billy g and has a ton of respect for him and what's he's accomplished. JC has said he's impressed by the list of players Billy assisted in getting to The League.

To me, it seems like the signs are pointing toward UF on this.

@Matherly87 what are your thoughts on what we now know about Jacob and his upcoming decision?

5. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Ok Note out of respect for you I went back and watched his Hudl film to break it down.
    1. He is by far our biggest need for WR this year and a must get for CDM in his first year.
    2. Totally agree with you on his interest with Billy G. I think CDM and Billy G coming to Florida impresses him more than the changes at Bama regardless of them winning another one. He just likes to flourish the thought that everybody wants him even the NC, knowing he won't see much playing time.
    3. I don't agree with all the comparisons of Copeland to Percy, not even close in my book. Here's what I see and my thoughts to compare with. Copeland's best attributes are his ability to cut with balance and vision of field. The kid has "Football Smarts". He can see the holes opening. When a player has an instinct a hole is opening then their balance allows them to make the hard cut because they anticipate it happening. Percy would just accelerate and blow right by guys before they could react. I've never seen that anywhere else other than Barry Sanders. That's why arm tackling was no good on Percy, strength or not. Copeland is not that. Copeland has good hands, no prime time catches to see but makes good adjustments to the ball in the air. Also Copeland is a down hill runner, meaning he instinctively gets low and drives forward before impact. That's hard to learn even for some RBs.
    4. Now the comparison, Copeland reminds me of a blend between Neal Anderson (down hill runner, good cuts, field vision) and a little Wes Chandler (instincts, football smarts, great balance) mixed in.
    5. Overall I believe he is ours to lose and would be great to see another big time prospect from Escambia on our roster.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorrr4life

gatorrr4life GC Legend

Dec 17, 2017
    I know Twitter is a bad way to gauge interest, but Cope retweeted a crap load of Bama stuff during and after the championship game. JS

7. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Matherly, my dude. Great stuff man.

1. Excluding Emory because he's already signed I agree with you. I know it's been overstated alot recently because JC talks about it alot and that's footwork. His footwork is tremendous for such a young kid. His explosiveness is something we desperately need.

2. I'm sure the call from Bama after the game was exciting to him. (It was also exciting for Jacob to drive Sabans $130,000 Mercedes and He even made Justyn Ross sit in the back. Probably why Ross will choose Clemson. Lol) He loves being wanted like he is. (Who wouldnt?) I'm not sure if he realized that the call before him was to Justyn Ross and the one after was to Jaylen Waddle, etc...

3. RE: Percy comparison. I agree. That comparison is overblown but I do believe that telling him he's our next Percy was our punch/counter punch to fend off Bama. Percy is Percy and there is no other. We all know that but Billy was playing to the kids ego by telling him he's on the same level as the greatest playmaker UF has had in the modern era. Pretty high compliment.

4. I've never seen Wes Chandler play in college and maybe a few times as a pro. I vaguely remember Neal playing for the bears when I was young and never saw him play at UF.

5. I too believe he'll be a gator. As I said in a previous post, I think the signs are pointing to UF.

One thing Jacob used to say was that he really liked his primary recruiter at Bama. Unfortunately for Bama, that primary recruiter is now the head coach at TENN. Lol

Dameon pierce and Emory Jones are roommates now and I know Dameon reached out to Jacob telling him that they have his room ready for him. Pretty cool.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    We are in agreement over Emory. My comment about our biggest need was at WR not overall. Yes QB was our biggest need, hands down.
    You've got it exactly right on the other comments. Plus Alabama may still have other changes to come with their victory.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Ok, I wasnt sure if you meant overall need or just at WR thats why included the bit about Emory.

Yup Bama may have to deal with Jalen transferring..it's funny how one half of football can change ones "destiny" lol so drastically. They go from having Jalen start the last 27 games +/- while losing only 2 and stinking up the title game to possibly transferring in the next couple months.

Tua goes from telling people that if he doesn't get decent PT in the game he's transferring! Lol he was sick and tired of out-playing Hurts in practice and he was still 2nd string.

Wish we had those problems. 99 problems and that ain't One!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Just a counter point to this from Spivey o the podcast

Andrew: First of all, if Jacob’s listening, and I’ll go ahead and say it to everyone, stop following the kid on Twitter. Jacob, if you’re listening, you’re just trolling everybody. He tweets to tweet. I’m not saying that for anything bad, but he tweets to tweet. Stop paying attention to that.
    http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature...ek-and-the-new-florida-gators-coaching-staff/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Stop worrying about JC. trust me on this one.

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    From my mouth to candys keyboard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Hall of Fame

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    One of those it is the rule so it is the rule and we don't change it because that is how we do things and ignore that the world has changed since the 1940s. That is the exact problem with everything in our society today. failure to adapt and change with technology. (rant over)

14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No, it's the rule because it makes perfect sense. It allows for communication, but also allows the kid to shut it down and control things on his terms.
    It also means schools can't overkill by camping out...essentially giving the big budget schools an even greater advantage.
    It seems like a logical and measured limitation in my opinion. Not sure I'm clear on what your issue with the rule is?

• Like Like x 1
  15. blkwtr

blkwtr Senior

Jan 3, 2018
    Face it, JC is a hard core Troll, and he loves it. If JC wants to be The Star and a 1st Rd NFL pick, G'VILLE is it. Copeland, Watkins and Harold Joiner are the best Trifecta Ticket out there for the Gators.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Now that you pointed it out it does sound weird. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Neal was there when I was (his first, my last) and his break out game came at UK with 197 yards on 33 carries (no long runs as I recall, just a bunch of move-the-chains runs. He was actually close to quitting prior to the game because they were going to use James Jones in a one-back set with the other backs out. They changed their mind and started Neal and he never lost the starting role.

Our backfield that year had 4 future 1st round draft picks, amazing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Telling a guy you're going to use him like you used Percy or that you think he's perfect for the Harvin role is fine. All you have to say.

The recruit will compare himself to Percy and everyone else he's heard of. And there may already be plenty of people telling him for years he's as good as or better than Percy Harvin.

20. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Hall of Fame

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

no, it makes sense to allow recruits to shut it down if the recruit has to initiate the contact. But having telemarketers call non stop is not at all in line with what makes perfect sense to you.