Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

One Has To Go

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tampajack1, May 26, 2020.

1. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    So you're saying he'd be perfect for Virginia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's watch the comments directed or about AN.

Wishing him the best wherever he ends up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    It’s about the future and a player’s ceiling. Like projecting out what kid could do. Not much different in baseball. There are plenty that believe Appleby and Ques have more potential to run the team better. Not necessarily about points per game. More so about how rest of team jells with the point guard and vice versa. If you watched us the last two years there wasn’t much jelling going on and that’s an understatement. Opinion but solid bet that White probably very frustrated that AN played with his back to the basket 99% of the time 30 feet from the basket. Never a threat to score. For as good of a passer as he is I’d say not seeing the floor, teammates, basket, and the stunted growth it caused overrides other positives he brought. By not seeing the floor I’m saying how can you with back to basket?

4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Absolute statements. Please provide proof or retract.

5. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Definitely an exaggeration. But the general consensus that AN did not play with enough sense of urgency on a consistent basis is one I agree with. Far too many uneven performances last season, even within games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Tell us what you saw. Please keep in mind that we don’t measure everything on turn over to assist ratio especially when some seem to forget that he held the ball for many possessions 18-20 seconds of a 30 shot clock ( yes that’s an absolute statement and a fact) this led to rushed shots, turnovers by other teammates because they felt like they had to rush, shot clock violations, no rhythm being established offensively.....149th in scoring offense and 59th in turnovers.

I think the turnover thing is worse or as bad as the scoring offense When you consider the pace with which we played and held the ball we should not have had 369 turnovers. Heck we had 7-8 less possessions a game than most other teams because we held the ball so much so you think we would have less turnovers. To me that reflects on the point guard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He gonl :oops:

8. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Figueroa to Oregon.

9. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He would have been perfect for the Gators, especially if he sat out a year. In 2021-2022, Lewis and KJ would both likely be gone, and LJ would have replaced one of them as a potential 1st-team All SEC player. Oregon has become an attractive place for big-time talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gotta be the shoes!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Or the pace of play.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    But he had that pace at St. John’s, not to mention Mike Anderson!!
    How do you leave that behind?! ;)

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
  13. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Believe me, I am very well aware about projecting athletes. Very aware.

That said, being Nembhard is being recruited again by a Who’s Who of college basketball, a lot of very successful coaches don’t agree with your projection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    LJ said that there were circumstances that forced him to leave. As to your man love for Mike White, I would take Mike Anderson over him as a coach 8 days of the week. Anderson did a tremendous coaching job last season. White did not.

15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Yes.
    I remember you had expressed this. And then I reminded you of their head-to-head records, and the conversation stopped. ;)

kidding aside, I’m good with you not liking CMW. He has a lot to prove for many people.
    But Anderson?!?? When you touted his coaching .... I couldn’t wrap my head around that one. I think he is terrible. But to each his own.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    With only 2 talented players on the team in Heron and LJ, and then losing Heron and his starting center (the only legitimate big man on the team) for the season, St. John's played very well down the stretch of the season. They did it because they played their bench early (as much as 90 minutes a game) and played at a furious pace on both ends of the court. Then when the injuries occurred, players who would never have gotten off the bench at UF were ready to play and made tremendous contributions down the stretch of the season. Anderson looked like he would have the 1st losing season of his coaching career when he faced 5 nationally ranked teams in the last 5 games of the regular season, but the team managed to beat Creighton and Marquette, and then beat Georgetown in the opening round of the Big East tournament to finish 17-15 against a brutal schedule. The team also was leading Creighton at half time in the Big East tournament when the tournament was abruptly cancelled. St. John's had wins over West Virginia, Arizona, Providence, Creighton and Marquette during the season. I cannot imagine White winning 10 games with that St. John's team if he was coaching it. Anderson's success ultimately will depend on whether he can recruit high end players. Losing LJ hurts, but St. John's plays exactly the type of game that I and many other fans would love to see at Florida.

17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Scoreboard:

St John's: 17-15, #66 Pomeroy
    Florida: 19-12, #32 Pomeroy

Which one gets a dance card and which one might get an NIT bid?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    According to Warren Nolan, UF played the 15th hardest schedule in the country last season while St John’s played the 43rd toughest so despite your claims, the SOS between the two schools wasn’t even close. And regarding the St John’s win you note against Providence that I guess you feel was impressive, St Johns’s also lost to the Friars and remember that UF beat that same team by 32 points.

Mike White had his way with Anderson before he was fired at Arkansas and being

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t disagree. However, St. John’s beat Creighton by 20 points towards the end of the season. My guess is that they handily would have beaten Florida at the end of the season.

20. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I don’t disagree that he’ll be pursued by a lot of excellent programs. He could be a good game manager wherever he goes. In a different system maybe he will be much better. Any decent college defender will quickly learn to stay tight defensively and that will always give AN trouble.