Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

One Has To Go

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tampajack1, May 26, 2020.

1. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    So Tampa, are you prepared to throw Mann overboard as well if it means getting LJ Figueroa? Any chance he could get a waiver to play next year (I don't see it)?

2. blueridgegator

blueridgegator Freshman

Apr 9, 2020
    I am for keeping AM - for all the reasons given by his supporters above. While not perfect, the best we have at that position and one of the best overall in the SEC. Also, probably will get better and adapt to MW changes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You meant AN, but I don't believe that he played at a top-SEC level last season. Yes, he had 5 or 6 assists a game, but the team was something like 265th in the country in assists. That is terrible. Why did it happen when we often had 4 good passers on the floor in Nembhard, Blackshear, Lewis and Johnson? The answer is because the ball was stuck in Nembhard's hands. As far as his good assist to turnover ratio, it is very misleading because it doesn't take into account bad shots taken as the shot clock ran down or other players' turnovers resulting from their forcing plays with the shot clock running down. I will takethe number of quality passes over the number of assists every day of the week. If Nembhard returns, I fear that we will be stuck with the same old slow-paced offense next season that we had this past season. Let's give Appleby and Glover a chance to go up tempo and to get the other players more involved in the offense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I think he meant AM - Andrew Mann - the hybrid point/shooting guard we have been looking for all these years!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe he meant Andrew Moten who was one of the best hybrid/point shooting guards to ever play for the Gators.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Pulling scholarships. That's sure to be selling point to recruits, unless they are an over-hyped 5-star in high school that thinks he is a NBA player but can't even play better than the guards in this league.

7. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    This is a great question. I watched every St. John's game over the last 2 seasons, so I am very familiar with LJ's game. LJ is a high octane player. Our current offense and defense are way too slow for his style of play. Mike Anderson's offense and defense are perfect for him. Two season's ago, LJ clearly would have been the best offensive player on the Gators, and one of our 2 best players along with Hayes. This past season, LJ again would have been one of the 2 best players on the team along with KJ. The kid has good size for a wing at 6'6", and he can run and jump all day long. His shooting range is well out past the NBA 3-point line. He also has a good mid-range game and can drive and dunk with the best of them. LJ's biggest weakness is that he tends to run hot and cold, but he keeps shooting even if he is cold. LJ clearly was better than his teammate, Mustapha Heron, the past 2 seasons, even though Heron was 2nd-team All-SEC at Auburn before he transferred to St. John's. I think that LJ has a reasonable chance to be an NBA 2-guard. LJ is way better than Mann right now, but I don't have a clue as to how Tre will perform next season. I certainly wouldn't throw Tre overboard, but I don't see Tre becoming as good as LJ unless he can successfully make the transition to point guard. As to your second question, apparently some coaches are telling LJ that he could get a waiver to play next season. I find that hard to understand unless it gets tied to the impact of Covid-19 in Queens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    I wonder why LJ wants out of SJU since he seems such a good fit for Anderson's style of play.

9. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    Tough choice...

I really enjoyed watching AN, but I think both he and our team will be better off with him going pro.

Mann did not look ready to play at UF level last year, hopefully that will change this year (if he comes back)

And if LJ Figueroa wants to transfer here, I'd love that.

10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I'm not a fan of the whole discussion about which Gator player fans would like to see leave. But, congratulations tampa, you've created a thread that's turning into a nice "Let's get rid of Nembhard" discussion. Well done! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    4 possibilities:
    1. Get away from the virus hot spot.
    2. Anderson apparently criticized LJ for his shot selection.
    3. Anderson apparently told LJ that he wasn’t ready for the NBA and needed another year in college.
    4. LJ’s not being projected to be a 1st round pick, might have him thinking that a different school would put him in a better position to be a 1st round pick.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the sarcastic criticism, but that wasn’t my intention at all. My intention was that, since so many posters want AN and Mann to come back, I wanted to see who the posters would want to leave. I expected to get a lot of people saying that Glover should leave, because there is no other obvious potential departure. So, if you think that Glover is the one who should go, then just say it. We can’t have 14 players on scholarship.

13. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Nembhard. Nothing but best wishes for his future endeavors. He seems like a fine young man, I’m just not a fan of his game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    Honestly, if I had to pick one guy to free up a scholly, it would be Osifo. Totally unrealistic since he has yet to set foot on campus, but that would be my choice. Of the realistic options....Nembhard.

15. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    How are you with the “basketball gods”? Have they cursed you in the past? (I’m being partially facetious here). But if I had made that statement, I’m sure the “gods” would bestow some Labron-like attributes On Osifo just to show me up :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ncbullgator15

ncbullgator15 Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    I agree. Well said.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    Huh? I would love nothing more than the basketball gods bestowing elite skills on Osifo. I would happily eat that crow. With that said, I'm not trying to bash the kid. But if the question is which of the 13 current scholarship players do I have the fewest expectations for (short-term and long-term), it would be him. But I'm not advocating at all for White to do him dirty and run him off. This is hypothetical stuff.

18. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If this would have been any of the past 8 years we could have put Castleton on a football scholarship for this transfer year.

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

U want a seasoned player who has been thru the wars out? Amazing what I read on this thread lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    He didn’t help the team last season, and there is a reasonable chance that he wouldn’t help the team next season.