Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

On Becoming a God in Central Florida

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatorknights, Aug 16, 2019.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorgirl815

gatorgirl815 Sophomore

Aug 20, 2019
    South central alabama
    What's an mlm queen?

3. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Multi level marketing like Amway -- the arena in Orlando is called the Amway Center. The owner of the Orlando Magic, Rich DeVos, was a founder of Amway. His daughter-in-law is Betsy DeVos, Secretary of Education.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorgirl815

gatorgirl815 Sophomore

Aug 20, 2019
    South central alabama
    Ok, ty. I'll see if I can stream it.

5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Anybody watching this? It's very entertaining, and a a little scary how people give their entire lives to MLMs like Amway. It's also true. Had several couple friends who joined Amway/Quixtar back around 2000, a few years after we all graduated college and started our respective professional careers. The wife and I didn't get involved, but tried to remain friends with the couples.

Two decades later and the wife and I are still happily married. Most of the Amway couples split, but we're still friends with some of them. None of them ever made any money in Amway/Quixtar, and most are ashamed of their behavior during this time. Watching On Becoming a God is helping me understand the psyche a little bit, but it's not any less disturbing.

6. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    MLM's are big in the RE industry. My first wife caved into one with one of her realtor clients, and it was a joke. The good thing was, the client sent her a lot of business so the money lost on the MLM side was more than offset by the commissions on the referrals. Client was a realtor, and ex-wife was a mortgage broker. The product was actually pretty good, but the pricing structure was a joke.

Not trying to go too hot here. The shakes were tasty, but not as good as Wendy's or DQ. :)

7. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I’m glad you explained mlm, I assumed it was something sexually deviant

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm watching it. Don't know what MLM stands for, and I don't quite understand the system being depicted. You buy merchandise and get others ("downlines") to sell it for you or what? I don't understand what they're doing.

9. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

Where did get Kirsten Dunst get such great cans?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Multi-level marketing - Wikipedia

"MLM salespeople are, therefore, expected to sell products directly to end-user retail consumers by means of relationship referrals and word of mouth marketing, but most importantly they are incentivized to recruit others to join the company's distribution chain as fellow salespeople so that these can become down line distributors.[3][6][7] According to a report that studied the business models of 350 MLMs, published on the Federal Trade Commission's website, at least 99% of people who join MLM companies lose money.[8][9] Nonetheless, MLMs function because downline participants are encouraged to hold onto the belief that they can achieve large returns, while the statistical improbability of this is de-emphasised. MLMs have been made illegal or otherwise strictly regulated in some jurisdictions as merely variation of the traditional pyramid scheme."

11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    MLMs are basically pyramid schemes that try to hide themselves by selling products. Many MLMs teach a system where you buy from yourself and recruit others (your downline) to do the same. Sure you can sell the products to others not in the system, but to make the big bucks, it's better to recruit others and teach them to buy from themselves, which is exactly what I was pitched about 20 years ago with Quixtar, which was Amway's online presence for a while.

Of course, the problem with this system, or any Ponzi system, is exponential growth dictates that those at the bottom will never being to recruit enough "downline" to recoup their costs. The system that was pitched to me required everyone to try and recruit 10 downline in order to be profitable. Sounds simple enough, but if everyone actually succeeded, by the 7th generation, that's already 1 million people. I lived in Tucson at the time, which in 2000, only had a population around 900,000 in the entire county!

One of the reasons why many people don't buy MLM products is they are usually expensive. That's because for everything an IBO (Independent Business Owner) sells, part of the purchase goes into the pocket of his/her upline, their upline, and so forth. Upline adds overhead but doesn't add any value to the product. Another reason why MLMs don't sell much to non-participants is if you sign up to be an IBO, you do get paid on your product purchases, usually a base 3%.

In the show, FAM is a replacement for Amway, and all MLMs are required to disclose the average monthly income of IBOs, which is just $200/month. But this includes Amway Diamonds (FAM Washingtons), who do have the huge downlines, and get much larger bonuses than the average.

Another secret which the show has only scraped the surface of in MLMs like Amway, is the motivation side of the business. 20 years ago, Amway diamonds were still recording tapes, much like you see on the show, that were pure motivational BS. Distributors were supposed to stay on the system, which required a purchase of at least one tape a week, at a cost of $6. IBOs were told $6 was the cost of the tape, but cassette tapes probably cost less than $.50 to produce at the time. While Diamonds make a decent profit from Amway, their real source of income that finances their lifestyle comes from the motivational tapes. 20 years ago, when CDs became more prolific, it was a boon for Amway diamonds, as they were cheaper to produce, and they sold those for $9/pop, if I remember correctly.

12. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    The show kind of lost me when the head of FAM started taking fruit out of the fridge and beating it with a baseball bat or whatever it was. All because of an irregular heartbeat?

13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I thought it was genius. Here's the guy that everyone in the downline revers as the model to aspire to, and he's sick, both physically and mentally. But that doesn't matter to the downline. They still consider him like a deity, so much so than when he asks the downline to literally clean up the mess he made, not only does the downline not question the sanity of the situation, they clean with a smile!

14. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I'm digging it. I also enjoyed Black Monday, also on Showtime.

15. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Anything with Kirsten!

16. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    MLM.

Now, THAT'S an opportunity I would listen to.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I've never even seen a Kirsten Dunst movie. IOW where has she been all my life?

18. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I’d bet Silicon Valley

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Most likely at the cannery ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    If you don't know who she is, don't make Jumanji your introduction.