Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Omar Payne to UF

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Nicho, Oct 1, 2018.

1. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    Feeling like Christmas in here!

2. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Certainly fun times on NBN!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Great pick up for our Gators and great class coming in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What I really like about our recent recruits is the upside on D. It sounds like they have the right attitude. Hard work at that end pays dividends at the other end. When I saw the first game of the 2005-06 season I was ecstatic. Not for an offensive fireworks show, but for the incredible D they played.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I remember getting excited that a bunch of Corey Brewer's pre-Florida highlights were him running down guys from behind and blocking their shots at the rim. Tenacious defense. It was especially refreshing then because those particular Gator teams were a bit "soft" on defense (relying more on offensive shootouts in regular seasons, which were great in regular seasons, not so much at tournament time). I knew that was going to change as Brewer and Al Horford (especially) came into the program. That Noah turned into what he did obviously pushed us even further over the top. 3 guys that were truly elite defenders.

I see alot of that same stuff in Lewis' highlights. Not quite the crazy length Brewer (spiderman) had to harass opposing dribblers, but probably more explosive as an athlete overall.

Of course our paint defense is what has been particularly abysmal since losing Egbunu, so I think getting Payne should be huge going forward (albeit sometimes bigs take a bit longer to come along and start dominating).Payne might have more of an impact down the road than in year 1. He should certainly play a big role in 2019, but he might not be ready step in and to dominate until he gets a year or two under his belt.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Don't forget Lee.
    Lee Humphries may always be remembered for his shooting the kid furnishings into a defensive work horse.

7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep. Lee could always shoot, but it was his defense that got him playing time as a freshman and sophomore.

8. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Have read a couple comments saying Payne is the best defender in the country and can guard 1-5. Regardless, it's pretty freakin amazing we land him and one of the best offensive players in the country (Scottie) on the same day. White and staff are on fire.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    He is a very good shot blocker and can get up and down the court, very athletic. One thing he will have to work on is not reaching on his shot blocks. In HS when you are the tallest guy on the court most games reaching over players is not a problem. In college that will get you into foul trouble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1