Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OMAHA!!!!!

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by TJtheGator, Jun 10, 2023.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Yes sir, I pitched there in ‘73–‘74 after playing for Chipola. Our son, Alan Horne, pitched for the Gators team in 2005 along with Tommy Boss, Darren O’Day, and many others. “11” had his chance with Alan but we caught him in so many “mis-truths” we walked away from there.

Coach Mac was good to Alan as well as good for him. UF was first class across the board both with their recruiting Alan and after he was on campus as well. Coach Mac sent Ross Jones, then Gator pitching coach up to the Cape Cod League for a week where Alan was playing to watch him for a couple of starts and recruit him.

There’s a lot of history there that I won’t bore you with but needless to say—FSU came out on the south end of the stick. As far as my avatar goes, all of the parents on the team pretty well knew our history and how we ended up at UF and at the time I had an account with Baseball America—74nole was my handle—it’s the way everyone got to know me and I just never changed it. Thanks for asking. It’s been one of the easiest and best swaps I’ve ever been a part of.

• Like x 13
    • Winner x 4
    • Best Post Ever x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
  2. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

It might be a bit before we find out. Both games today are evening starts.

Perhaps they will go ahead and announce before the games. The decisions of start times really impacts travel!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They did say on tv after the Duke/Virginia game that we would play Virginia on Friday so who knows

4. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    We love to hear stories about F$U coming out on the south end of the stick. :devil:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Nothing official yet out of the UAA, SEC, NCAA and most importantly ESPN

7. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    I'm assuming Friday and hoping for the 6pm start

8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I'm sure media would agree with u which was my point. Personally, I rarely root for private schools and won't be in ORUs case either.

9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    And we love that you did !!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Loved watching that team, Alan and Bryan Ball were my two favorites. If I recall that was Ball’s best year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    We had a very good team that year. Texas just had more arms.

I’ve given my opinion in the past about Mac and Ross Jones’ pitching philosophy, but that ‘05 run was pure magic and that team is forever in our hearts.

They set the bar for the 2017 team to top.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. nattygator

nattygator Freshman

Oct 14, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I'm sure you know who Rick Catlett is. Former head honcho of Gator bowl association. He got his degree from FSU. But everybody knows he's a big Gator fan.
    Thanks for your explanation.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Friday night in Omaha!!! 7pm Eastern. 6 for those of us in Central that evening!

• Like Like x 2
  15. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

ORU/TCU get the heat on Friday.

Wake in the afternoon Saturday and LSU in the evening.

16. ufjaz

ufjaz All American

Jan 3, 2010
    Sahuarita AZ
    • Like Like x 1
  17. swamphappy13

swamphappy13 Freshman

Dec 23, 2022
    Got my tickets for Friday night and staying as long as the gators stay. First time to Series. Missed 2017 and not missing this one!

• Like Like x 9
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Their (Moby Grape) song "Never" was "covered" by Led Zep without attribution originally.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Has anyone said what they have on tap for the Opening Ceremonies for this year’s CWS?

In 2005 they had all eight teams sitting on the field and 8 Navy Seals parachuted into Rosenblatt. Each one had a respective school’s flag tied to him and presented the flag to a designated player from each school.

Pretty dang impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  20. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

I hate to the bearer of bad news---they are no more. Evidently there were complaints of it being too long of a day for the teams.

They will do a banquet for the players instead.

Really bummed me out! The fireworks were great!

NCAA Men’s College World Series Open Practice Day Information - College World Series

"The College World Series of Omaha listened to the feedback of our coaches and student-athletes and found a great way of re-imagining the opening day of the Men's College World Series," said NCAA Managing Director of Championships Anthony Holman. "This new format is the best of both worlds – it allows fans a sneak peek at the teams while still reducing the time commitment for teams just before they begin competing for a national championship."

To abbreviate the length of Opening Day obligations for student-athletes, teams will now attend an off-site event in their honor for an evening of food and entertainment following Thursday's open practices. This is a transition away from previous, public festivities that would often result in 12+ hour days for many of the MCWS teams.

"We are excited for this new chapter in the MCWS Opening Celebration Day tradition," said Amy Hornocker, Executive Director of CWS of Omaha, Inc., which serves as the local organizing entity. "We believe it considers the long hours committed by these student-athletes to assure accessibility to fans, while also providing a worthy commemoration of their hard work and successful seasons."

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1