Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Ole Miss

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    Depends on how old they are, if they're single, and if they like small towns.

It's a beautiful little town with a good arts and music scene and a ridiculous number of award winning restaurants for its size, so long as you stay kinda in the southern lane. We've had two James Beard winners here and several runners up in a town of 20k.

I play in a band here (music is unrelated to my field), and I've made more money moonlighting around here than I did back in my Nashville or Austin days because the music scene is just healthier per capita.

If you have a family, the schools are good and the crime is low. It's still one of those places where you don't really have to lock your doors if you don't want to, and your neighbors will look after your place even if you don't ask it. One of them mowed my yard for me while I was gone for a month over the summer, and I still have no idea which one it was.

Property is pretty pricey to rent, but not bad at all if you're buying. We're just over an hour from Memphis and 2.5 from Bham, so getting out of here to a bigger town is pretty easy. I get up to Memphis pretty often when I just want to disappear in the crowd. Everyone knows everyone here, and that is good and bad.

It can be rough if you're single in your 30s or 40s. Yes, the women here are astoundingly good looking, and a lot of them are a helluvalot of fun in general. However, if you're working on campus, depending on what you're doing, carousing with the undergrads probably isn't the best idea for career advancement. Pickings get a bit slim as you get older because not a ton of professionals hang around that long. There is just more opportunity elsewhere - even the best of small town, southern living is small town, southern living.

If you're into things outdoor, the hunting and fishing is great. Were I so inclined, I could probably deer hunt from my back porch and do better than a lot of folks. There are also tons of parks, national and state forests and so on.

Really just depends on what you dig. Personally, I like being able to fade into the crowd a bit, get a bowl of pho at 2 a.m., or have a drink with the hot 22-year-old after a show without worrying if she's going to be in one of my classes next semester. It can get a little claustrophobic for me at times. However, I'd say overall that I could have certainly ended up doing much worse with my first gig as a professor after UF and am pretty happy here.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Plenty of time to run a disciplined team that's not an embarrassment to the school.

3. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    If Rich Rod is hired, do we want Corral back? :confused::confused::confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    I feel this is the year we have to deal with Leach coming to the SEC or FSU...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    I saw the article with quotes and the AD said that “we know we can compete for championships at Ole Miss.”

LMAO.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Jimmy Sexton lives just outside of Memphis, where his office is at. He spends a lot of time in Oxford though and is very tight with the administration at Ole Miss. Mike Norvell is in his stable of coaches and a guy Jimmy has taken a keen interest in. Jimmy likes to not just get his guys hired somewhere, but likes to move them around like chess pieces. Have to imagine he was getting inquiries for Norvell from several programs. So Ole Miss makes the move to fire Matt Luke, surprising some in the industry. Norvell to Ole Miss is a very real possibility now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That makes a lot of sense. Norvell is just an hour away from Oxford presently, so he knows the area and probably has quite a few recruiting connections there.

8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Come to Florida Jerrion, where we have a stable coach who is respected by his administration who also loves Mississippi players.

9. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They're just trying to renegotiate their contracts for a pay increase.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    There is a good bit of smoke around the Norvell thing. The AD told the players someone could be here as soon as in 10 days, leaving some folks thinking Norvell was a lock and why things went forward. I know a couple of "insiders" have repeated this, but I've seen wishes get passed as insider info more than once.

My guess is that if Norvell is happening, it will be a done thing very soon. The longer it goes, the less I'm inclined to believe he'll end up here.

12. etennant

etennant Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  13. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Perhaps. But his team’s defensive debacle against UCLA this year and his (relative) offensive ineptitude against Washington may hurt his chances.

Leach is a Hal Mumme disciple, and his QBs will always throw for a bunch of yards. But like Mumme learned at Kentucky and Leach is showing at Washington State, a good defense can keep his offense relatively in check. Utah and Washington proved that again this season. And Leach has yet to show he can put a decent defense on the field.

Besides, Leach is considered to be a god on the Palouse. His job is stable there, and winning 7 or 8 games in Pullman plus going to a lower tier bowl is a excellent season there. He could get more money elsewhere, but the expectations and the criticisms would be much higher. I never had the impression that Leach was primarily money oriented.

So Leach would be crazy to leave Washington State. But we all know The Pirate has proved in the past that if nothing else, he’s a bit crazy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Since we play Ole miss next year, I have to assume that this upheaval will help us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    SEC power football conference would be a real test of his system. Leach has not played a lick of defense this year at WSU. Does not seem to care about that side of the ball, which would not work well in the SEC. See Leach fitting in better in the ACC. Perhaps a program like Vandy where superior coaching could make up for facility limitations???

16. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    I said somewhere else that this isn't new when a coach gets fired. Remember this guy?

Fitting end for fired Florida coach Will Muschamp

From what I've heard, the rest of the team stepped up today and told the couple of people pissing and moaning to knock it off.

Players do love Luke, but they clearly are undisciplined. Lot's of folks were upset when D.K. Metcalf did the urinating dog thing at Starkville in 17, despite accusations to the contrary, but Ole Miss won the game and had worse problems at the time. Seeing that happen again really rolled back on Luke more than anything.

I think we should win that one, but it could be a tough one. Ole Miss has a pretty good, young roster should it stay together. People here also hate Dan Mullen with a deep, abiding passion, and Mullen is on record saying that he hates Ole Miss. I think recruiting was particularly nasty between the two school back in the Freeze/Mullen era, and people here still think Mullen is part of the reason Ole Miss got busted. If you follow Miss State at all, they weren't exactly squeaky clean either, though I don't think Mullen had much to do with the cheating at State or outing of Ole Miss. Lastly, if Ole Miss had beaten us in 15, they would have won the SEC West, and they haven't forgotten that either. They've only sniffed it twice, so that left a mark.

We should get the W, but if they hire a competent coach, it could be a tough one. Thankfully, the stadium here isn't particularly hostile even on a good day. Plus, if the hire is bad, no one will go anyway.

This is why I've always wanted to see Leach in the SEC. He goes pretty in depth in his book why he doesn't bother much with defense, at least why he didn't at TTU. He thinks it takes more skill to be a good defensive player than an offensive player and basically didn't think he could keep up in recruiting with Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12 on that side of the ball. His whole perspective there was how to win games when you can't get studs on defense. WSU is arguably a worse program than TTU, though he has had his highest ranked defenses there. I've always wanted to see if he ended up somewhere where he could get decent defensive players if he would adjust his recruiting efforts and focus accordingly.

If he did, he could be problematic to play every year. I know Texas and Oklahoma hated having to go to Lubbock to play him. If he didn't, he probably wouldn't coach long in the SEC.

17. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Jimmy likes the Norvell!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. gator32405

gator32405 Senior

Nov 30, 2008
    Ole Miss already has 3 players in the transfer portal and 3 decommits; if it’s Norvell they better get him in there before the ship has sunk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Sure, under normal circumstances. Ole Miss was on probation for the entirety of Luke's tenure. They were banned from bowl participation in 2017 & 2018. Reduction of 24 scholarships over a two year period. That's a $hit storm and impossible to build, gain, establish any kind of traction.

Some are speculating that he was fired because of the Egg bowl shenanigans, after which he supposedly supported his player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    A reduction of 24 scholarships over 2!years? Ouch.

• Agree Agree x 1