Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ole Miss

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Dec 1, 2019.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    What did they expect?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Wow, so many openings this year. It will be interesting to see what happens when the dust settles

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    What a pisser...

• Funny x 5
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Luke was afforded three years. And how many of them were not on probation resulting from the Freeze tease? He had zero shot.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. jpullen

jpullen Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tallahassee
    And F$U still hasn’t named its new coach. With so many opportunities, why would any decent coach accept the head coach position the Tallahassee dumpster?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Placeholder

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Rich Rod ready to take over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, but they have a decent core of young players and they want to see if they can get to places that Matt Luke was never going to take them... like a bowl game. :D:eek:;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Mississi PEE

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    Makes you wonder if the ending of the Egg Bowl was final straw with this

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I had FSU people telling me FSU was going to announce a head coach after the Florida game.

Either that was BS, or FSU wants to lay low until their ass kicking isn't on the immediate minds of fans.

One thing is true, they've lost the early signing day at a minimum. If they haven't named a coach in the next 10 days, they'll have lost February signing day too.

They fired Willie so they could be the first on the market. They're finding themselves back in the pack

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    Rich Rod already at Oxford on staff,which I had no idea of until I watched the Egg Bowl.

14. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    If they hire Rich Rod, there will be a riot. Tickets will be cheap for the Florida game next year though.

15. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    100% was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Why? They could do a lot worse. His offense seems like a good fit for Plumlee.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. gator32405

gator32405 Senior

Nov 30, 2008
    'There's no program without players:' Ole Miss players react to Matt Luke's dismissal

The Ole Miss players are very unhappy. Apparently Matt Luke was in the home of a recruit when the news broke. This was handled very badly and it’s time to watch the transfer portal for their guys. Jerrion Ealy, their true freshman RB, is a stud. I think he may have been a five star. He’s one that stormed out of the meeting when the athletic director told the team.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hodor

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    I'm a professor at Ole Miss. Trust me, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on the staff liked less than Rich Rod, and I'm not sure he cares much for it here himself. The bottom will fall out here if they hand it over to him. If anyone on the staff gets hired, Mike MacIntyre is the best pick. That isn't to say it's impossible that he would get hire; Ole Miss does some stupid stuff to be sure. But it would go over about as well as FSU turning around and saying they've decided to just rehire Taggert.

Ole Miss pulls in more money than a lot of people would think, and there are people with money around the program. They're just a hornets nest because, while they will cheat and risk having the whole program burned down by the NCAA, some of them are scared to death of having a coach who they don't think they can micro manage. Personally, I don't even think paying players was about cheating to win as much as it was some bizarre version of flashing cash and showing off their connection to the program for the boosters involved.

Also, you have to understand that this is not happening in a vacuum. This has been a very tumultuous semester in general. We just hired a new chancellor and AD here in the last two months, and both of those hires were largely viewed as cronyism due to who was hired and the way those searches were conducted. However, it seems that maybe, just maybe, those hires aren't actually the good ole boys that they seemed to be. I absolutely did not expect Keith Carter, the AD here, to fire Luke - no one I know did.

Other rumors swirling are that the chancellor held out until the boosters actually got behind all of this financially. I'm hopeful this is because he saw the complete train wreck going on at FSU and refused to let this happen until everyone understood exactly what it meant financially. Maybe he was just protecting Luke. Maybe it's just a rumor.

So I see this as a bit of a crossroads. We already had one chancellor consumed largely because he called booster culture here toxic back in 2017. Now we're about to see if the new chancellor and AD, both Ole Miss grads, really are just part of the good ole boy network or if they are going to go their own way and, if they do, if they can still get the boosters to step up but possibly end up with a coach that won't be one of them.

The state of Mississippi has a lot of football talent for how small it is, and due to past court cases, it isn't hard to enroll here. If Ole Miss were to hire a solid coach that could keep more talent at home, the program would probably be pretty solid. But that would mean one chef in the kitchen, and that may be too high a price for the boosters to pay around here.

We shall see. Interesting times here.

As far as the players, some of our guys were pissed when Muschamp and McElwain were fire as well. That's not all that unusual.

And yes, I will be wearing Orange and Blue when Florida plays here next year, even if it costs me tenure, haha.

• Informative Informative x 16
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Interesting read. I have friends that are WVa and Mich alums and RichRod is not exactly loved by their fans either.

On a side note, how do u like living in Oxford/ teaching at Ole Miss? I have a relative that will be interviewing for a position there soon.