Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ole Miss hires Lane Kiffin

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator10010, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Sulla

Sulla Senior

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    A “come on man” from a mod, huh. Interesting.

They beat us in Gainesville in 2008 when they shouldn’t have with frikin Houston Nutt coaching.

Thankfully, CDM will probably take the game more seriously than a lot of posters here will. Ole Miss has some talent, and rumors of the team walking away have been exaggerated.

Regardless of Tenner and USC, Kiffin did a great job at Alabama and I think is now responsible for over 25% of FAU’s total wins.

Should we win? Of course, but it isn’t necessarily a gimme. Oxford hates Mullen. Winning this game and embarrassing him will be a big deal here. It’s worth taking seriously. Not LSU seriously, but at least as seriously as having to play Mizzou in CoMo.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Kiffin and Ole Miss are like matches and gasoline. They both deserve what they get.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    Like him or not Kiffin can coach offense and Kiffin can recruit.

It won't take much for him to own the state of Mississippi right now. Add in the fact Kiffin will take transfers and questionable characters, the guy can cause some problems.

Will he rule the SEC West? Absolutely not.

Can he string together 8 - 10 win seasons and ruin championship runs for Bama, LSU and Auburn? Yep he sure can.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Sorry guys but this would be an amazing hire by Ole Miss. Kiffin will make Ole Miss relevant in the league like him or not. He will more than likely have 10 wins at FAU this year after the bowl season is over. 10 wins at FAU....let that sink in for a minute.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Still don’t get why some here still fall for Kiffin’s BS. He’s been an average coach everywhere he’s been. And where’s the evidence he is a great recruiter? He coaches in South Florida and last year he brought in the 75th ranked class. Yeah he is killing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He’s not been average at FAU. He has been the best recruiter in the conference and keeps getting his team to the championship game. Maybe he’s learned to grow up? Who knows, but Ole Miss will have a coach with national name recognition and a great recruiter. He should be bale to take back Mississippi from Miss State, and If he brings some talented coaches with him, they could make some noise. I think he will do just that and reunite with Briles

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a good hire for them, but ultimately isn't going to change the staus quo in the West. It'll be significantly more entertaining from a media perspective, but Kiffin is a very known quantity in big boy ball.

He looks better at FAU because he gets to out-athlete his entire conference there. Not so much at Ole Miss.

8. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    With his ties to S Florida, he can recruit upper level 3 stars to Ole Miss and be competitive.

The sell: Come play in the SEC (even if it is Ole Miss) or go to a G5 school or less and disappear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I agree with you but feel pretty sure Saban hangs a 50 burger on them next year. Maybe 45-17 at best. Kiffin has a very good young QB in Plumlee that has a unique talent That only three or four quarterbacks in America have. Let’s see if he utilizes that talent or should I say plays to this kid’s strength. Some are worried he tries to make Plumlee something he’s not.

put it this way, I don’t care what is 40 times as there are probably only 1 to 2 kids on every team that can catch him once he gets through or past the front four. He’s that fast.

11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Couldn’t agree more (sure we will get bacon crosses). They’ve got a good young core and should be a bowl team next year.

12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Sulla,

I attribute it to Orange and Blueitis. I’m like you and never look past an opponent. If we let them hang around that could be a tough game. If 17-10 at half or something like that it’ll be a 4 quarter game.

your right about Mullen or any good coach for that matter. They NEVER look at games as cakewalk.

13. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    Some of you are overhyping Kiffen. There is a reason he’s coaching at FAU, come on now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Sorry but I never saw Archie play and Eli was but a blip. Even Peyton knew to get outta there.

Freeze showed how you win there. Kiffin will either get them in trouble or lose. Which do we really think he will do?

15. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Ole Miss is talent rich and LK can recruit. Piss on them at your own peril because Ole Miss just upgraded

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Upgrade maybe but know trouble is coming. Upgrade looking down at Arkansas and MSU probably. Looking up at everyone else in SECW. Upgrade to middle of the pack in your division? Oh joy.

But watching him poke his finger in some eyes will be fun.

17. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Even Mac looks good coaching in the minor leagues. Kiffin has shown his true colors at UT and USCw when coaching the big boys.

18. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We should be worried every time we play a Mississippi school.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This line of thinking is exactly why Ole Miss does beat us. They beat Urban and Tebow in Gainesville in ‘08, Zook and Grossman in Oxford a few years before that.

I guess those teams were comatose?

I hope Ole Miss finds someone else. My daughter went to Ole Miss, and I really like that school. Kiffen is a sleaze, and with its ongoing booster issues, Ole Miss is going to be back in trouble in no time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And Lumpy did a great job as a coordinator a couple times and the talking donkey just won games at another insignificant school. Not much has been done by Kiffen as a head coach on a big stage to scare anyone. Maybe like coach O, he will do better tge next time around. Sure we could lose to ol miss. We’ve also lost to vandy and everybody else.