Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OL will not be as weak as many expect

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jhbyrd, Mar 13, 2019 at 6:57 PM.

1. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Injuries are definitely crucial. Last year we were much better in the injury department than in the prior many years when we had terrible injury/suspension luck.

• Like Like x 1
  2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I take heart in how much the o-line improved as the year went on. Think it's in large part due to Hevesy. So maybe the guys with a second year under his tutelage will come together a little quicker.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Lol... Some will do this thinking about that.
    [​IMG]

4. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    The lack experience and depth does NOT always mean we won't be good at a certain position... even on the O-line.

5. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We have 7/8 returning who can play OL. If two or three of the 7 freshmen catch on it gets us up to ten OLS. Without crucial injuries 10 can provide a solid OL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    If we stay healthy... I like our talent on the O-line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    There are some fairly complex schemes - especially in regards to pulling, working as a unit, getting to the next level (LB’s), ...and terminology too: for quick in-game adjustments to the scheme(s). Also, the matter of recognition skills.

I think too, as you indicate, the technical blocking aspects are much improved under Hevesy. So another year of that is a big bonus, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This runs contrary to the vast majority of evidence. Experience and depth are usually key to a successful OL. If we're banking on the 2019 UF OL to be the exception, then we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Hopefully Mullen can come up with a good scheme to work around any deficiencies and the OL can improve over the course of the year. Expecting them to be successful right off the bat is a tall task.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. elijah_blue7

elijah_blue7 Junior

Aug 20, 2018
    I think the Miami game will be "the" game that seasons them for the year. Miami is gonna have some freaks on the DL, so it will definitely be somewhat of a baptism imo

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I expect the Miami game to be a grind-it-out defensive affair.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    One thing I do know is that following this year, we will be in "re-load" mode going forward and the term "weakness" will not be a term used for the OL.

Dan has done a great job of bringing in some quality players this year, which is no small feat considering the cluster our OL had been for the last 10 years. I think a lot of that was the growth we saw in last year, but also the OLs he was putting together at MSU with mostly 2 and 3 star kids.

After a year or two, kids will see that we are now developing OL kids and getting them to the league at a good clip. When that happens we will become a destination for the top OL recruits.

Success breeds success and I don't think there is a place that is more true than in recruiting. Certainly that is one of the reason$ for Bama'$ succe$$, but we all now there are other reason$ al$o.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    IF healthy (Heggie cough cough) I think the interior will be fairly solid. Tackle terrifies me, at this point there is no one on the roster I am confident can play at a consistently high level. Taff is going to earn their money trying to get something workable at OT

13. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Depth, second season in system, and Savage are all major pluses.
    Experience is a negative.
    I think we will see improvement every game, with our online being just as good or better than last year, “over all”, at or near the end of the year.
    Early games against good teams will be a challenge.
    A win vs Miami will be a big confidence boost.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    I feel encouraged about the fact that the OL improved as the year went on last year; goes to great coaching and S&C. I don't feel good about the fact that Coach Mullen did not seem impressed with the advancement rate of the second-teamers last year.

I feel good about the fact that we have some potentially good freshman OL in good numbers coming in this year, some of them even being early enrollees. But, that is tempered by the understanding that this position seems to take time to develop both physically and knowledge-wise. But, hey, nobody will probably jump and draw 5-yard penalties more than Johnson did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    At the NFL level, o-lineman are generally the most intelligent position group. Right up there with the QBs.
    I'm curious what Mullen and Hevesy's recruiting profile is for o-lineman. So much of recruiting rankings are based on size and speed. Wonder how much premium our staff puts on intelligence, tenacity, coachability, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Our WRs better be able to beat their man quickly this year b/c we may need to keep our TEs and RBs in to help with protection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I'm glad we finally have some WR coaching again. Previous staff did a terrible job with that position group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    Those who have watched more film and know OL better can correct me, but Taylor was also deficient technically and scheme wise during the season, not because of Hevesy, but got drafted mostly on talent. He did very well, dont get me wrong, and improved through the season. I am expecting less of a drop off at RT than some others are. I would feel even better if Banks was 100%.

19. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Taylor was learning a new system like Miami's OLs will be doing. I heard a draft guy who went back and reviewed Taylor's film from last season and he thought that he was the best tackle in the draft.

He is more than talent. Taylor also has a mean disposition on the field which is what coaches want. Plus Taylor is strong and a hard worker. Taylor's potential replacements are not at his level.

My point is that coaches in general like upperclassmen OLS and we have 4 of them who are basically seniors and they were all trained and conditioned by Mullen last season.

When we will really miss Taylor is when we meet the really good defensive lines like LSU.

Probably why our first Spring practice went so smoothly the other day as compared to last season. Bodes well for the Miami game.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 12:27 PM
  20. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    agree, but unfortunately, I cant see him ever playing again.