Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OL will not be as weak as many expect

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jhbyrd, Mar 13, 2019.

1. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We have more experience in Mullen's system than we had last season as none of those OL had experience in Mullen's system. The 7 freshmen won't have any experience in Mullen's system .

The OL will be down talent wise because we lost the top tackle in the country (Taylor) plus Ivey.

Last season we were installing a new system. But unlike last year's group, this year's group (though less talented than the group before them) had a year to learn Mullen's system and terminology:

LT Forsythe -RJR (6-7 323)
    LG Heggie - RJR(6-4 314)
    OC Buchanan - RSR(6-3 291)
    RG Bleich RFR(6-6 321)
    RT Delance - RJR (6-4 313)

Other than the very strong Bleich the above are basically all seniors and they are big.

Moore -RSO(6-5 300)
    Gouraige RFR (6-4 303)
    Griffin Mc Dowell RFR(6-3 295)

The above 8 should be less talented than what we had but will likely have fewer early season misques due to miscommunication and lack of knowledge in the system.

Our all important center (the QB of the line who has a year starting in this system in the SEC) lead this team to 10 wins. Franks having a year in Mullen's system will help Franks direct his OL into the proper place.

Gouraige and McDowell should be solid back ups at LT and C. Moore was a 4 star OG in high school.

Positions we think are going to be terrible the upcoming season commonly end up not being as bad as we thought.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Definitely about getting game reps, confidence, and unit fluidity. Once they gel as a unit, their output will be fine. The scheme doesn't require the most physically dominating guys to be effective (though it's certainly a plus).

I'd expect them to have a similar progression to last year's group. Good news is the skill positions will be firing at a higher output from the get go, so there will be more dynamic work-arounds compared to last season as the OL stabilizes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    We've come a long way from a few years ago where we didn't really have enough lineman to have a normal spring game.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. deepwater

deepwater Recruit

Feb 5, 2019
    The Branch
    My two cents says the OL will, for obvious reasons, take a step back from last season. But the skill positions will be more experienced and more familiar with the playbook. Smart money is on our Man Dan to find a way to coach around the team’s weaknesses. If he can scheme around a guy like Franks, he can find a way to scheme around a weak OL especially with more experienced skill positions. Next year might be similar to last year in terms of production based on holes in the roster, but once he gets all the holes filled and the OL and all the other skill positions are in sync, look out!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I'm a lot less concerned with our o-line situation than I would have been with similar situations in the past.
    I know Savage will have a bunch of guys physically ready to compete. Having 5 physical guys playing with toughness and attitude goes a long way. Particularly late in games.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Imagine what last years line could have been with 3 years of Mullen coaches versus 3 years of Mac/Nuss CRAP!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tigator2019

tigator2019 Senior

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    "bad" and 'terrible' are not words I have heard 'many' use. Some, sure. Ask 1000 gator fans to name the starting 5 and 3% maybe could name them so most folks won't know about how they will line up. Drop off sure. Bad? no

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Naplesgator100

Naplesgator100 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    I have no idea if what you say is true; I’m sure there are differing opinions, but THANK YOU for posting something positive about this year’s Oline!

Here’s the thing- EVERY TEAM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL GOES THROUGH THIS NEARLY EVERY YEAR! They are always replacing one major position group or more. So encouraging to hear that our perceived “weakness” this year may not be so bad after all!

Great job!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    This won't be happening.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Obviously the OL are learning proper technique, have quality coaching and will now be stronger than in the prior regime. That said, hard to make up the lost starting game experience at OT position that Taylor and Ivey possessed

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. GatorBait42

GatorBait42 Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    This notion of years in the system etc for college lineman is absurd. There is only so many ways you can block power, inside zone and the lot. Maybe they are getting really good technique coaching, but this idea that they are gaining advantage from an extra year in the scheme regardless of total college experience is ignorant.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

Totally disagree with that....

In his first year here, Mullen's displayed the ability to develop players from "no-showsa" into "all-go"

There's more to an O-Lineman than what you stated.... Coaching an O-Lineman to be able to pull out and actually lead the RB iis good coaching, plain and simple... and I'm not talking about a simple "pull", but to get outside, and also have the remaining O-Line close that gap.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Something here is ignorant, no doubt.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I expect our OL to be as good if not better than last year. Sometimes it's easier to teach players who haven't been in the system for 3-4 years since they have to unlearn all their bad habits. We will see.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. lizardbreath

lizardbreath Senior

Aug 30, 2017
    It's easy to forget that for the last several years, our expectations had fallen for the entire team in general, but for the OL in particular. In hindsight, the level of improvement was far beyond anything I expected, and I believe that most UF fans could say the same. So I'm squarely in the trust the coaches camp on this one, and IMO, the OVERALL talent and depth should be more than adequate for fielding a solid SEC OL this season. Down the road, the OL recruiting haul pulled off by DM and staff this year should pay huge dividends for several seasons to come. I just don't expect a big drop off on the OL, I suppose time will tell.

• Like Like x 2
  16. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

If you want a good OL, you better have guys in a fluid, confident routine when moving as a unit. Tough to have that with zero experience in the scheme.

0 experience = 0+N experience isn't really something most folks would pimp as reality for any endeavor, but we sure see all kinds of goofball stuff on this board.

17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    FYI OL TBD BTW
    NTTIAWWT
    OK?

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    Man that was tough to watch.

19. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Taylor is a likely first rounder so it will be very hard to be better than last year after losing him. I do think this OL will jell faster than last season's OL. Kentucky is going down hard when we play them again unlike our early season loss to them last year.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  20. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Believe we may have a dropoff overall but confident Mullen and Hevesy can scheme around that. We just can’t have the injury bug hit us. That could be bad.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1