Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OL Solutions???

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Nov 19, 2019.

1. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly....I promise they get told much worse in practice every day by the coaches and I sincerely doubt they're as thin skinned as some of the posters here.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Except with a few exceptions, we played 7-8 guys all year on the OL. Yes we have won a ton of games this year inspite of our poor run blocking. I don't think our rb's forgot how to run just this year. I think we are near last in the league in regards to rushing. What we did was play to our strengths, passing and defense. We're close to the top of our league in both categories.
    When we can't run against poor out of conference teams or teams with poor rushing defense that says something. It's no wonder CD has given up basically on traditional runs. Our rushing yards this year either comes on one break away long run or by jet sweeps or qb scrambles. Ever wonder why DM often chooses to pass the ball on third and short? He has no confidence in our running game. I've watched closely the Vanderbilt game keying on the OL. Vanderbilt is not an auburn type DL and still whenever we did try to run, we got stuffed or gained short yardage with traditional inside the tackle runs. The point I want to make is that this group imo showed little or no improvement run blocking.
    Now pass blocking they have done a much better job especially when compared to run blocking. But I do think KT has something to do with that as he gets rid of the ball quickly. In no way am I saying our OL is lazy or uncoachable, I just don't believe they will ever improve all that much. My hope is this class and next years class and a one or two tackles from the transfer portal will make a differences.

3. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I wonder what our record would be at this point if we abandoned our passing game for our running game?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They are apparently the best we have. They probably would have shown some improvement in run blocking, if consistently ran the ball 25-30 times a game. We didn't do that, because it would probably mean more losses as they were learning how to run block (and the offense was getting three and outs). What do you want more, wins or run blocking ability?

You may be right, that these guys have an upper ceiling of how good they can be. But there are other OL coming in in the offseason to challenge them for starting position, and these guys will have to push themselves to get stronger and better if they want to keep their starting jobs. At some point, they may need to push themselves to stay on the team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I did not see the fire squad reference certainly did not come for me

context?

6. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Getting 3 and outs or creating turnovers makes for shorter scoring drives. If we allow the opposing offense to drive the ball it makes our offense have to be more efficient and cover longer distances to generate points.

What we witnessed at LSU was an anomaly. Most offenses aren’t able to drive 75 yds in consecutive possessions much less 6 in a row. Hence my observation about 3rd on defense causing our imperfect offense to be less efficient at scoring points even though we are accumulating yardage and TOP.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Post 21. Top of page 2.

8. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Please stop w/ the excuses, do u really think if we ran the ball 25 plus times a game we would get better??? Well, as the old saying goes...I gotta plot of land to sell u. These guys are the best we have and CDM has built the offense around what we do best.

Remember, these are Mac's guys so just maybe that was why they were recruited in the 1st place ...because they're better at pass protection than run blocking which is odd in itself. Maybe that was something he envisioned....who really knows?

I will say this, there's absolutely no way these guys don't know how to run block after they're 3 and 4 yrs in the program, they're just not good at it. Most of these guys have been playing football minimum 6yrs...at this stage, no way they haven't been taught how to block the guy in front of them.

What do I want u ask? Well, a competent OL that can equally pass protect and run block would be a start. I'm thinking that's not much to ask from a top10 team. Everyone wants to claim we're so close to being elite, but honestly, we're not remotely close if we can't knock Towson off the LOS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fezziwigator

Fezziwigator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007

No you're not. Far too many insults all over the boards for that matter. And don't get me started on the game thread, I can barely stomach it even after putting a few dozen posters on the ignore list. Unfortunately a lot of people cant make their point or offer constructive criticism without hurling insults. Some cant even tell the difference.

Face it, not all posters have what it takes. Not all of them are Swamp Gas quality and frankly are destined to be career backup posters.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Is it a bigger insult to be called “hot garbage” vs “cold garbage”? :eek: Is “tepid” insulting?

Just want to know for future reference ;)

11. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    When speaking of a running game, do the running backs not also figure into the ultimate success or failure?

12. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    I would think that any future rb recruit would understand that they would be running behind a future line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. unclerob

unclerob Freshman

Aug 14, 2015
    If you only look for high school seniors that are 320# or over, you are going to recruit a lot of fat kids. OL men are the Great Danes of the football world. They take longer to grow to their full size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. unclerob

unclerob Freshman

Aug 14, 2015
    They do, but if they are getting hit by d linemen 2-3 yards in the backfield, that is on the o line.

15. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    As has been mentioned, I think the only way this OL improves next year is for us to find some portal transfers and hope that some OL from this years recruits and next years recruits replace the OL we currently have. My beef is that the ones we have outside of the two younger guys have shown almost zero improvement run blocking. Zero.

16. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Career back up posters! That’s funny right there my friend

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the enteraining thread. Reminds me of all the 'hot garbage' on TV reality shows.

18. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Passing Off. #22
    Rushing Off. #112