Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OL Solutions???

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Nov 19, 2019.

1. A firing squad?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    So, you are basically saying the gators OL this year is garbage. Yet, this year's team already won 9 games and getting ready to finish 11-2. What would you call the OL groups under Mac's years?

3. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

I mentioned earlier in the season that this line would take some time as they had not played together. Also remember that Wiley Rich was our starting center on the natty team in 96 and he only weighed 267. Don't put too much into the muscle and not enough into the heart. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well since u put it out there like that ...u are correct...the OL pretty much is hot garbage when it comes to run blocking. The only reason we've won the games we have is they pass protect decently and we have CDM. What other coach in the country could win a potential 11 games in the SEC w/ an OL that can't run block to save their life ???

Make excuses all u want, but for the guys that are RS Jrs and Srs they are what they are ....career backups and NOT SEC quality. I'm sorry, but after 3/4 yrs in the program, u are not magically going to develop a mean streak or gain off the charts explosion.

The problem now isn't about them "gelling"....the real issue is they can't whip the man in front of them. If u disagree, go back and watch the games in slow-mo at the point of attack then u will really see how bad they are... we're talking about an OL that cant even knock Towson off the ball...I mean really ???

There's a difference when guys have talent and it hasn't been coached up yet...last year's team would be a perfect example. They steadily improved and by the time we played MSST and LSU they were the strength of the team.

This year though, there has been zero improvement run blocking all season....we're just not that talented. I know it's a hard pill to swallow for some, but as I say ....go rewatch the games,freeze it, then watch the blocking assignments and see if u have the same opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I more than appreciate these guys' efforts and hard work but u have to be honest too. Everyone is just not an SEC quality OL.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Agree x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. FatherGoat

FatherGoat GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    It's not like these guys are getting blown up in run game every time. Off season improvements in foot work and unit cohesion will show a huge improvement with these same guys. The tape I've seen shows this to be the biggest issue. I think we will see a night and day difference next year. In fact, we will see an improvement in the bowl game IMO.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Down to 2 serviceable QBs and our starter a passer, it's likely that Hevesy has committed to play the personnel who are most effective at pass blocking - at the expense of the run game. Messing with the rotation too much in an attempt to improve the run game may carry risks to Trask that Hevesy and Mullen are unwilling to take. What we have may be the best option (compromise?) for this season with this roster in its current state.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Maybe it is because I am older, or maybe its because I see student athletes for who they are but calling young men going to college playing a game for our entertainment and likely never playing a down in the future for a salary
    HOT GARBAGE is insulting, demeaning and has no place on this or any other board. Let no class scUM sidewalk fans use that vulgarity if they choose. Gator fans should always be above it. If I heard you say that in the seat in front of me or behind me in the Swamp, you get an ass chewing.

You want to call out an NFLer with that, ok.

Am I the only bothered by that?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    Bothers me too. A lot. These guys are starting because they are the best we have, that isn't on them.
    They've worked damn hard to get our team to 9-2, and should be remembered for that.
    Calling your own team's players trash or garbage says more about the poster IMO.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    So calling them hot garbage is over the line.
    But saying "firing squad" is ok?

Again, OL is a position that takes game reps to get better.
    Our guys this year had very few starts coming into the season, so struggles should not have unexpected.
    We should improve next year between this year's experience and some new guys aging and developing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Neither is ok. The tendency on this board to bash college kids who are doing their best is really unsavory.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I agree as well. I'll only add that it's one thing to say a particular player is "hot garbage" and another to call the offensive line play "hot garbage". The latter isn't as out of line to me as calling out a particular player by name - that said, our pass blocking has been adequate enough to make that a dumb statement as well.

I also don't think it's terribly out of line to say our running game is "hot garbage", because that's an assessment (however harsh) of an entire function involving 11 or more players and coaches. Hey, we're passionate fans and sometimes we get pissed off, but I'm all for respecting the players and coaches as individuals, and critiquing our team with respect.

12. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    Although you may be right about the line THIS year, an argument can be made that Florida is especially THE place a great recruit should go . Our line was clearly not ready to take on the SEC or even the ACC. Yet here we are at 9-2 and are about to become 10-2. Imagine what this team will do with just a very good, much less great, line. Plus, if I'm an O line recruit, I'm seeing immediate playing time on a team that can go to the NC if we just got 30% better on the line.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    Next year will show us if there are backups. Think White, RG, Tarquin, will be much better.
    I would be surprised if any true freshman take a job but maybe Walker. Unless just blessed 3rd year for many to show out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

I mean, we've plugged in Gouriage for 56 and 72 at different times. But we don't have another guy who can play tackle. We've also moved Gouriage, Bleich and Heggie around quite a bit, trying to find the best combination and chemistry. The bottom line is that we don't have enough bodies for a legit rotation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. gatorgrateful

gatorgrateful Recruit

Aug 3, 2018
    Not at all, I’m Bothered by as well... your comments are well stated & very much spot-on! The facts are that M-A-N-Y variables influence the rushing game.
    *Is each play called ideal for down/distance? Ideal for the players in game? And ideal given the player match-ups of that moment?
    *Are coaches & QB effectively adjusting/changing the original play called via audible in response to mid-play defensive shift that takes place? (Example, a late defensive shift to stack the box).
    *Are RBs “flawlessly” hitting the hole/seam as designated for optimal run play success etc?
    Placing SOLE blame on the OL is easy when in fact there are vast multitude of variables that weigh-in on the actual success of each play as well as the fluid-play conditions that offer dynamic challenges.
    Without question... The SEC is the toughest conference in America, the Gators have lost to #1 LSU & #4 UGA, and are nationally ranked at #10. How awful can the OL be collectively given the above stated?
    No doubt the Gators rushing game needs to improve... but ALL aspects that influence rushing productivity have not peaked, need to improve... and the responsibility for this taking place is shared, & is not solely on the shoulders of the Gator Offensive Line.
    To think otherwise, is misguided.

Go Gators!

GratefulGator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wait just a damn minute....u might want to pump the brakes hoss. My response was to a post that asked the question ...was the OL garbage. That's why I prefaced my post...IF U WANT TO GO THERE.

Now, u can sugar coat it if u would like but let's be clear...they're not good. No they're bad...really bad. How would like to be Trask, EJ, FF, Perine, and u get ur ass knocked off or possibly injured because a guy doesn't do their job?

Furthermore, last time I checked, this is a message board and some of the opinions expressed here are gonna be harsh realities ...if this is a little to rough u might want to sit this one out....just a thought. And just what about my post said I would yell anything at players in the Swamp ???

I've logged almost 4k miles this year alone supporting the Gators and not once have I booed/ yelled something at MY team at a ball game...not this year or ANY year.

U don't know me... but I find it interesting the assumptions u make about someone u don't know based on a post on a fan message board. So just for the record, if u think u would get all up in my face at a ball game ...I highly doubt it. I'll just leave it at that. People need to mind their own damn business. If I don't put up w/ B.S. on the road at LSU,KY,UGA or surrounded by Miami fans... I highly doubt I'm gonna be very receptive to one of my "own" giving me said "ass-chewing" on my home field...

17. 1329gator

1329gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    U guys are about as soft as the OL....I appreciate their sacrifice and I stated as much. But, stark realities need to be addressed. How do u think Trask felt when the AU DE came rolling in on his knee w/ an 'Ole block.....give me a damn break.

18. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I personally find the term hot garbage humorous because it is such an exaggeration from reality. I don't think the poster meant it as demeaning or personally insulting. Now if you call someone a thief, or a drug addict or a pos then that's different. I think there are quite a few offensive lineman on the team so you're not singling out an individual. As somone else alluded to, I'm pretty sure they are fully grown men and can take it (if they ever even would see the post and almost surely they won't). I try not to ever denigrate our athletes, but I'm not offended on this board for someone using that term. It is a board full of opinion and bs and humor. To me booing the gators in the stadium is far worse than a throwaway line in a post.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How does what the defense do on 3rd down have anything to do with what the offense does or does not do?

20. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Most recruits over 310 lbs need to lose weight before they think about playing football. There are plenty of good OL that are below 6'4". Revoking scholarships at a position that takes several years to develop is a recipe for disaster. The main problem with our O-line is MacIlwain's lazy recruiting, combined with the fact that Mullen has not had enough time to develop these players. You absolutely should not get rid of players until you have better players to replace them, and better players to back the new starters up. Revoking scholarships should primarily be reserved for players who are not trying or are disruptive to the team.

I think UF will be middle of the pack in the SEC for rushing next year. And that will be fine, as long as Trask stays healthy and has good receivers to throw to. In two years, we should have a top-4 running game in the SEC (higher if we get a great RB to sign), and that will be enough to contend for the SEC title if Emory is truly ready to take over the QB position as a starter.

BTW, here is a list of names. See if you can guess what they have in common:

Jim Langer
    Mike Webster
    Dwight Stephenson
    Dermontti Dawson
    Gene Upshaw
    John Hannah
    Larry Little
    Tom Mack
    Billy Shaw
    Mike Munchak
    Larry Allen
    Will Shields