Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OL (O-Line) Recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jul 3, 2019.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    It’s a risk CDM has calculated I’m sure. Obviously the Oline was a major project when he got here. He’s building instead of stacking. You’re younger and have less experience that way, but if you can make it through a couple years it pays dividends and levels out your roster on OL guys. So far, so good.

2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Cooper played in the NFL for several years.

3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea you named em all. Don't forget ole reliable Max Starks too, the Steelers LOVED him. Always wondered why Mo Mitchell never panned out. I know Zook played em at DT some but still

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    One thing I was actually ok with is NOT electing to get a portal OT. Why? I think we're in a situation where it's better to build with what you got and coach up the youngins through practice and game as oppose to taking a stop gap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, are you saying there was an overt decision made to not go to the portal for OL? I thought it had been pretty quiet in that area after some initial hinting by Mullen that he might go there.

6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Oh nah, i'm just giving my opinion lol.

7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    All those guys had multiple years in the NFL (except Taylor, who of course will). Don't forget Trautwein who got a few games in the NFL as well. Did Kenyatta Walker play some OT also? Not sure that OU has had that much more success than UF if any.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Walker is in the list.

9. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    They've had more All-Pro's and Pro Bowlers (not that, that is the end all be all) than us although they've had less lineman make the NFL. I keep forgetting about Michigan. Now that's OLu

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I can understand his opinion because if there is not someone available that Hevesy coached at MSU or is a can't miss (maybe Dickerson who went to Bama?), most guys are not going to fit into the category of sure starter, which I think Mullen would require to use a scholarship on an OL. Even other former Gator coaches only took Halter (out of absolute desperation) and Trent Brown (now highest paid OL in NFL).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Sounds like the staff is still evaluating the situations...

With all the roster subtractions the Gators have gone through the past two months, Mullen and his staff are still looking for the possibility of adding a graduate transfer or two between now and the start of the season.

“I think we have a couple of initial (counter) spots still open,” Mullen said. “What we’re trying to do now is balance out the numbers over several years. How many initials do we want to try to make sure we save for people leaving and the number of transfers as you continue to move (forward)?”
    Notebook: Savage workouts will have team ready, Gators say - GatorSports.com

12. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    We have a lot of room to expand our '20 class if we have some good on-the-field results this year (lot of really good players looking at Florida), so I am inclined to wish for no transfers unless he is a major player coming home to Florida or would be an immediate starter at safety or OT or immediate depth at CB. I don't think we have seen that to this point in the portal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Oh I agree. I think at this point a quality OT with immediate eligibility is really all we should be looking for. Maybe a freshman QB with no character issues to take Jalon Jones spot and maintain class balance. But as you said I don't know that either exist.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Brown turned out to be quite an NFL talent. Halter didn't even make it to the bowl game before he became academically DQ'd, if I recall correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I remember rooting for Brown to become a player when he first got the Gators. Big Mo Mitchell size dude and he was solid for us too once he got experience.

The OL that we'll have come the 2021 season is going to be UNREAL. I keep telling folks...get us now or regret it later

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    There are a several places we should be and are looking at transfers. But the only place where we particularly value immediate eligibility would be OL. Most of the other positions would be to maintain class balance and smooth out bubble years (like DL this year).

So WR (if Grimes and Toney go pro, and wells remains unproductive) gets super young. We've also got a lot of safeties the same year (lenton, Davis, Stewart, stinger).

17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, I look for a PWO and one transfer. This is s team close to doing big things. Even having a few extra guys for practice and Special teams is important. There are a few areas where we are an injury away from being extremely thin.

18. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    A look at 2021

Maximus Gibbs 6'7 360

• Like Like x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Mitchell from Williston is a CB/athlete we should be adding that is just for depth this year. Look for one GT. Need a little more depth.