Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OK... I admit it....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by KAGator67, Feb 6, 2020.

1. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    When the Gators were down 20 points or thereabouts and Blackshear missed an easy shot under the rim I stormed out from the TV room.

But then .. My son called me back up when the Gators whittled the 22 point deficit down to 8 points ... Then OMG the Gators won.

I apologize for giving up on my prized Gators.. I promise never to do it again.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. theforevergator

theforevergator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    Don't worry, 2/3 of this board has given up on this team and just wants to fire Mike White. You're not alone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I was lucky. I came home from Home Depot and we were down 52 - 35, so all I watched was the crowd-pleasin' comeback. I was listening to the first half on the radio, though, and just shaking my head in disgust.

I'm thinking about going to see them in Athens. I live an hour away. I am firmly on the "Coach Mike is awesome bandwagon," which right now is a little lite. I've gotten to see them live twice this year, once in Charleston for the tournament final against Xavier, and once in Gainesville against Aubrun. They are a fun team to watch when they're clicking, and Scotty Lewis is an impressive human being in person.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    It might help to leave room for the vast majority of fans who are neither on the Mike White bandwagon nor the Fire MW bandwagon. Or for those of us who have not given up on the team but do get frustrated with the talent we have versus the results we see. The world is not binary and most people who are worth talking to have complex thoughts about complex issues, and reducing a Conversation to a singular binary point of “most people on this board have given up on the team“ is Disingenuous.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I missed the entire game, working late. I probably would have blown a gasket over the first half performance anyway so glad that I missed it. Sounds like the second half was a sight for sore eyes though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Something weird happened to me when it was down to 8 points. I guess it's possible to fall asleep and wake up without even knowing you were asleep. That's apparently what happened to me (maybe not surprising at my age). After it was down to 8 points, I looked at the score on the screen and the Gators were ahead. At first I thought some idiot got the score wrong on the screen, but the Gators stayed ahead. I have to assume that the Gators went on a hell of a run and I was asleep.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 Senior

Jun 8, 2007
    Why can't fans these days accept "disappointment" without tipping over into "...and I want something DONE about it."? Athletic competition is one of the most capricious things on earth...why place so much of our satisfaction on something so wildly variable? I just don't get it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. theforevergator

Nov 15, 2017
    That's why I left 1/3 for those fans that are genuinely into it and aren't criticizing the team left and right. It is pretty black and white to me. You are either for this team and root hard every game, despite what you may see as any talent/coaching discrepancy. 2/3 of the fans currently just like to bash the coach or want to point to other reasons why we lost (when we do) or criticize and complain even when we win. How about just enjoy the ride?

This is the annoying part of our fan base, and sadly it has grown to 2/3 of the fan base. Can't be happy with anything, just need to complain. Times have changed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. theforevergator

Nov 15, 2017
    This is what I am getting at. 2/3 of our fan base just wants to find reasons instead of just going along for the ride.

What fun would it be to just flash forward to the end of the season and know the results? Part of the fun is enjoying the time getting there.

But most would rather be miserable, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    I started the game on DVR probably around the time it was ending in realtime.
    Normally when we get down 20+ I will start skipping ahead to see if we climb back in or not but for some reason I decided just to watch it play out. Probably because we have already come back from down 20, and because the commentary mentioned that Georgia had already had a 20 point collapse.

You probably started a fight club somewhere in there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SeabudGator

Apr 23, 2014
    You seem pretty convinced that exactly 2/3 of fans want to fire Mike White. Do you know if I want to fire MW? I have certainly complained about his coaching – am I part of the 2/3? Well, I do not want to fire him. And I root for the gators every game. but I do think we have real issues that need to be addressed. Holding multiple opinions concurrently is not a sign that you are not a fan, especially on a message board designed to elicit opinions.

I do agree that people who constantly point out the negative are deeply annoying – just as people who only pointed out the positive, for example, when Muschamp was coach were deeply annoying. Black/white binary reduction is typically uninteresting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. theforevergator

Nov 15, 2017
    Are you in the offices with him going over game film? Are you at practice telling him what he's doing wrong?

No. I'm sure he knows what's wrong and he's trying to fix it. This is why he is the coach and we are fans.

I just don't see the point in wasting time criticizing something you cannot fix.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. SeabudGator

Apr 23, 2014
    You do know that this is a board for opinions, right? I wasn’t in the room with Muschamp but it was pretty clear he shouldn’t of been in the room. Assuming that because someone is a coach, they should be our coach is obviously and provably incorrect.

Expressing opinionS on a message board seems well within bounds, no? Why would you even come on a message board if all you want to read is “Mike White is perfect and the gators are my team! Yay!“

Finally, none of us fans are going to fix or really change anything. We are sitting in front of keyboards. You are correct - constructive criticism on a message board is a waste of time, but so is sunshine pumping. It’s a message board - entertainment, not functional. Anyway, this conversation has is being entertaining. Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I was totally disappointed and upset that a team with so much "talent" was getting killed by a team that Mizzou beat. I was going to turn it off but my wife said to me, "Are you a Gator or not? If you are a true Gator you support win or lose." So, I keep watching the game. After it was over my wife came in the family room and was not shocked they won. Sometimes mom knows best.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  15. gottapanda

gottapanda GC Legend

Jul 22, 2008
    Because for long stretches of many of our games we simply haven’t been competing. We have faced inferior teams and been made to look like lost on the floor. In general, fans want to at least feel their team competed and had a chance to win the game. In many of our losses, we haven’t even shown that. Win or lose, that’s frustrating as hell to watch from a program with the resources ours has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The exacerbation is amplified in the 1st half because it was vs Georgia. Disgust was deepened. Anger too...
    But the elation of the comeback win was sweeter because it was Georgia. The pendulum of emotion can swing deeper, bigger when it’s a rival, that’s for sure!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 Senior

Jun 8, 2007
    Bama has resources. Clemson has resources. Notre Dame has. Resources isn't what de facto create an expectation of success in an individual. Poor kids make in the NFL, rich kids don't. It's not always about resources. Tee Martin had nothing in comparison to Peyton Manning for "resources" growing up. Who has a National Championship ring and who doesn't?

I'd say you are disappointed in the youngsters representing U of F for, what seems to you, a lack of competitiveness. That is a fair point, if debatable, and yet it's factor completely outside of "resources", other than the "human" kind. Resources seem to, in your usage of it, create a sense of entitlement that isn't appropriate in a collegiate setting. It might be in a professional endeavor. If, by "resources", you mean what you are asked to pay for a ticket, food, gas, you have, again, a fair argument. You are not getting a sufficient return on your personal investment. And you have agency, you can control all of that, and stop the flow of your resources due to dissatisfaction for the value. But that's a very transactional view of what is intended to be entertainment, at worst, and an opportunity for young people to represent their university against other schools, at best, for the enjoyment of themselves and fans of the school.

I live in Knoxville, Tenn and I have been surrounded by a fan base that looks at their "resources" and the "product" and is consistently pissed off at what they see as an imbalance. We disparage the Vols on these boards when they behave so "entitled" as if their "resources" should have produced a better winning effect. It still comes down to people, coaches-staff-players. If they have played poorly, erratically, it has nothing to do with "resources".

18. gottapanda

gottapanda GC Legend

Jul 22, 2008
    Lol. I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by resources. I’m not talking about what these kids grew up with. I’m saying that our athletic department and basketball program have facilities and funding on par with almost any other program in the country. We aren’t UNF. When you look at football, we floundered with our two previous coaches, but plug the right guy in and we are rolling again.

My point is that we aren’t struggling because we lack advantages that other teams have that are out of our control, as one might argue if our players were having to work out by punching sides of beef in a meat locker or pushing Coach’s car uphill. We have training, nutrition, physical therapy, nice practice facilities, etc. By all accounts, we have talented players. We don’t have a ton of experience, which is probably the main reason we still struggle with consistency.

Does that make more sense re: our resources?

As fans, we have little to no impact on our program’s success. But it’s human nature to want to fix a problem. The best we can do is speculate on its cause and, this being a fan message board, people are going to do that here. I haven’t yet called for Mike to be fired, but I can understand why a lot of our fans do. I have criticized his job performance, but what’s the point of a message board if reasonable people can’t have a discussion and sometimes just agree to disagree?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Your most egregious mistake was returning to the TV room when we cut the lead. Never mess with what is working. Very risky move.

I watched the game at my parents home.... watch most games with my dad.
    My mom was watching with us, but got fed-up/bored and left. She tried to return when it got close. She was banned.... exiled back to from where she came. Now you may think that is harsh, but as @GatorStu1 will validate... it is absolutely necessary.
    And we gave my mom her just credit and kudos for her sacrifice following the win.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gottapanda

gottapanda GC Legend

Jul 22, 2008
    Also, how do you like Knoxville? I’m a big fan of western North Carolina and I’d imagine Knoxville is somewhat similar. I think I’ve read in a couple places recently that’s it’s “up and coming” in the vein of Asheville, though with maybe a less hipster/millennial vibe.