Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ok Candy, is it too early for the 2020 predictions...

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by spike718, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And Fred Davis... help lock up Jacksonville.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Hence suspicious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Junior

Jan 26, 2016
    Good list
    I’d add
    • WR Xzavier Henderson, CJ’s brother
    • CB Brooks, Fred Davis’ teammate at trinity
    • CB Jahquez Robinson rom Jax sandalwood that coaches seem to really like and is rising fast. OR CB Lejond Cavazos from IMG
    • DT Tim Smith or other DT
    I’d remove EJ as no one seems confident on him, and Rosemy though I’m just guessing and we’d make room for both. Maybe remove a LB and a QB?

As others said we have a pretty good shot at some VA and TX skill players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Nobody knows anything about EJ. He and his family are keeping things very close to the vest. I keep reading about the Aggie rumors but the only contact I have there thinks he will end up at UF.

• Like Like x 2
  5. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Interesting that one three star prospect would be intimidated by another three star prospect.

6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I remember wondering about Dumervil at STA. Hope we get him. Do you have any back story with him, any connections?

7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Beck will not stay as a 3* star prospect, a 4* star on one site, for long. IMHO he's on the rise.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well Beck is a 4 star, but I expect Richardson to end up there as well. Could be just that he wanted to be the only one. Or he thinks beck is elite, as several people do.

9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just that he is one of the preferred OL targets...really no insight to his level of interest

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Beck is elite...

11. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Not seeing that yet. If he's truly elite, he will have to make the Elite 11 finals and finish in the top three or four to prove it. I've seen clips of a few of the pro style QBs ahead of Beck and he has his work cut out for him proving he's a better prospect.

Our coaches probably see a polished, athletic, coachable QB who's a good fit and wants to be a Gator. They also know that he won't have to get on the field right away.

• Like Like x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Can’t tell with QB development. Like Tom Brady competing versus the superstar Drew Henson at Michigan. Drew was great baseball and football player out of HS and yet Brady became the superstar in the NFL. Accuracy, touch and toughness won out over arm and athleticism

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    The question is, do you want someone that looks, or appears, to be polished only to have to retrain a QB. Or do you want a QB that has all the talent in the world and none of the bad habits in a QB coming out of high school? Mullen explained in his recruiting day presser that he might tell a kid NOT to go to the camps, especially if he likes the kid and wants that kid on the Gators' football team. I know Mullen, like all coaches, would love to get a Trevor Lawrence as their first year QB but that's not very likely.

I still think if you compare Beck's sophomore year to his Junior year you see a huge difference in the velocity and accuracy that Beck throws the ball with. Now if he gets that same difference better from his Junior year to his senior year then he might get his 5th star and move up the ranks. Mullen might not want him to get that "popular" in the rankings circuit.. as he has said in his presser. Or... maybe Mullen is already tied to him and comfortable letting him go out and compete. Who knows. But I do think Beck is or will be elite.

All this above is predicated on if first Beck wants to be a Gator, and second Mullen has giving him the green light to commit to the Gators. In the end if Beck commits to the Gators we all know at least one of the answers to my two questions.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    You make a lot of good points. I don't know what we're looking for but I don't think we'd pass on a Trevor Lawrence if he was really interested in UF. That will be somewhat a matter of luck when it happens or more likely a stealthier approach to recruiting a player like that. It just looks to me like we don't get after the top QBs early enough. Maybe this staff needs to be in place longer or UF needs to be on top longer.

I think Beck does want to be a Gator and does have a green light but that won't stop the coaches from continuing to look. Of course Mullen doesn't want Beck to get popular but that's not in Beck's best interest. Talking a kid of out going to camps and especially combines is totally selfish.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Totally agree with this... Many other people believe he will be a 5* star before signing day next year.

16. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    I think we have the #1 class simply because this a historic year for talent in the North Central FL area. Manuel was the first domino. Add in the success on the field and our tremendous coaching staff and it's the perfect scenario.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. spike718

spike718 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    BAma doesn’t normally offer 3 star qbs that stay 3 star qbs. They saw some huge upside to Beck as well I’d guess

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    For me it's pretty simple, if Bama wants him then we want him.

19. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Beck & AR had great UA camps this last weekend. Luginbill said they were by far the 2 best QBs in the state. He was impressed. FWIW

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1