Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ohio State football will have 4 assistants make $1 million in 2020

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Mar 10, 2020.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

Kerry Coombs, Kevin Wilson, Greg Mattison, and Larry Johnson will each make more than $1 million — $1.4 million for Coombs, $1.2 million for Wilson, and $1.133 million for Mattison and Johnson. The Buckeyes are the first program to have four assistants earn at least $1 million in the same season. OSU first paid an assistant $1 million in 2018.

Coombs and Wilson’s salary is more than at least 40 FBS head coaches from last season and Mattison and Johnson’s 2020 numbers would have ranked ahead of 38 head coaches. Coombs would be the 13th highest-paid assistant, according to last year’s figures, Wilson 14th, and Mattison and Johnson 15th.

Coombs, Ohio State’s defensive coordinator, returned to OSU after a two-year stint as the defensive backs coach for the NFL’s Tennessee Titans. In 2017, he made $500,000 as the Buckeyes’ assistant head coach, defensive backs coach, and special teams coordinator.

Wilson is entering his fourth season as Ohio State’s offensive coordinator and tight ends coach. He received a $250,000 increase for the upcoming season after the Buckeyes ranked fourth in total offense and quarterback Justin Fields emerged as one of the nation’s best players, finishing third in the Heisman Trophy voting.

Ohio State football will have 4 assistants make $1 million in 2020

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Going to make bail money harder to come by.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Obscene

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Well...that's one way to try and combat staff turnover.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And I guess we can imagine soon the norm will be one guy leaving program x for a pay bump from $1.2 to $1.5... announcing the day after NSD of course.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    That is what the top programs are paying Coordinators now. LSU and Clemson paying big dollars as well. While 4 at $1 million plus is new, there are several programs that pay $800,000 to non-Coordinators on the coaching staff.

This salary growth is what is really killing programs like Miami that can’t afford to pay their Coordinators or Coaches big dollars.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jsarms1

jsarms1 Freshman

Jan 2, 2009
    If the program can afford to pay multiple assistants 1 mill plus a year, why wouldn't they? How many would be okay losing Savage or a few other talented assistants over a few $$$'s when our return to our place in the realm has reignited GatorNation, and in return bringing in higher revenue's then ever in school history to reinvest. As much as I love Foley, I'm glad Strickland is not as stingy with the coinbag.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As a fan making financial decisions, it is always easy when you are spending someone else's $

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. hhpgator

hhpgator Premium Member

Jun 13, 2017
    From your lips, to God’s ears! Now if we can have the market out pace FSUs budget, I can die in peace!

• Like Like x 3
  10. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    It really makes the players working for practically nothing seem silly. Them eating yellow mustard while the coaches are all eating grey poupon.

11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My question, is it sustainable? from where does it comes in an AD’s revenue mix and if those sources are based on things that could “dry up” ... recession? Donations? Agree with the point that smaller schools cannot play in that arena so do we eventually see smaller revenue programs at such a disadvantage that pay is regulated? Of course I doubt that can happen but it will be discussed.

Agree that Foley would not have opened the checkbook.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Obviously the Bucknuts are not feeling the Bern.. :D

* come on, laugh, that’s kinda funny!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Good to see Mattison being paid what he’s worth. When he retires from his on-field responsibilities, he could be worth $400-$500k annually as a Gator quality control coach. He was Urban’s main man in Gainesville and was instrumental in urging Meyer to put in the extra effort for Tebow. I believe he saw the value in Brandon James as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. stp_gator

stp_gator Junior

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    I read this and immediately thought of the expectations this places on Ryan Day and his highly paid assistants. Expectations are already high there because of what Urban built, but can Day maintain that level of recruiting and winning? My prediction is a growing amount of “noise in the system” over the next couple years at OSU.

15. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    If what he has done so far is any indication, OSU is in good hands. As long as their QB stays healthy they should be substantially better than everyone in their conference. It won’t be until the have to play the SEC champ or Clemson that they’ll be exposed from a talent standpoint IMO.