Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Oh, My, Possible NCAA Transfer Rule Change

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by doctorg8r, Feb 19, 2020.

1. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Does this mean A glut of repo’s for Tuscaloosa and Athens auto lenders?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Do you think it's fair to force players to decide whether they want to transfer prior to Spring practice? That's when they're better able to assess their position on where they are on the 3-deep. After Spring practice has always been when the majority of players decide to transfer.

3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  4. toprowgator

toprowgator Freshman

Jun 24, 2019
    I can't imagine one player being able to take up two scholarship spots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Junior

Dec 11, 2018
    This!

6. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Cue the Initial Counters discussion...

7. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Senior

Feb 2, 2015
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    I do think there is an issue if you increase transfers, but hold the yearly signings (initial counters) to 25.

What happens if there is a coaching change and 20 to 25 people decide they do not like the new coach and decide to leave. That could be more likely if there is no "penalty" to transfer. You would have 60 to 65 on the roster and if would take you years to build that up.

I would like they would have to allow signing more than 25 per year is your transfer rate is greater to X (7 to 10)?

Right now teams pretty much sign close to 25 a year and stay at the 85 limit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Junior

Dec 11, 2018
  9. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Freedom is good and it will improve the product in the field and the experience for the student athlete. Run a shit show like Mac and kids leave, run it like Mullen and we are beneficiaries. Freedom is good.

10. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Under Rated and great take. Lie to kids to get them on campus and they may leave. Guys who aren’t team first may leave but I doubt Mullen cares. May increase accountability by coaches and schools to fulfill all the promises they make to recruits, or maybe be more like Mullen and emphasize that you get what you earn. Freedom forces consequences and is good in the big picture.

11. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    It forces those in charge to pay a bit more attention. That's good.

12. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Junior

Dec 11, 2018
    Great thoughts, as the new rule could be a loss for us as well as offer gains. Before this NCAA proposal, I figured Jones would wait his turn. Ordinarily, transferring to another university would mean sitting out a year, which would mean Jones would accomplish nothing. If this proposal is adopted, Jones could bolt to the transfer portal. Atlantagator86, this causes a real dilemma for Mullen. If he goes with Trask for his final year, he may lose Jones for the next two to three years. Uh, seems like a no-brainer, eh? A very logical question, does Emory at the very least get significantly more playing time? Otherwise, the backup for Trask becomes, as you said, Richardson! So, would Mullen use a two-quarterback system as Spurrier did, or shuttle them in and out for a series, or risk losing Jones? Also, if he starts Jones, Trask could transfer immediately! This proposal really puts us at considerable risk. The Gators would obviously be better off if this proposal fails or either stalls for a year. We NEED Jones more than a wide receiver and running back!!! As you were intimating, this new ruling could majorly hurt us, and maybe hurt more than help!

13. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    EJ's dad posted some stuff elsewhere that would lead one to believe that the new proposal would have very little effect on Emory and the way his family is looking at his place in the UF program for 2020. Very realistic understanding of Mullen's progression model and an overall patient mindset it seemed.

It would be tough for EJ to find a better circumstance at this point. The new rule is going to affect QB recruiting more than other positions, but probably not in Emory's case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Junior

Dec 11, 2018
    I'm aware of what his dad said last year. I would be thrilled if that would remain true for the upcoming season as well!

15. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    To be clear, I wasn't saying I think Jones would leave if given the opportunity. I was just using Jones as one example of how this could hurt UF. My point just being a rule like this is a double edged sword.

I personally don't like the idea of players having one free transfer for ANY reason. I'd be more in support of a rule that certain established criteria for players to transfer with immediate eligibility, such as a head coach leaving or being fired. I think a rule like that might make schools think twice about what effect firing a coach after a season or 2 would have on the program if they might lose star athletes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    There are more kids in the transfer portal than positions available and that situation would only get worse. Not necessarily in the players benefit, as teams still have a 85 max scholarship limit and can sign 25 per year. You have to have built in attrition of 4 additional ships per year (15 every 4 years) simply to meet that number.

You make space for that 5 star or highly productive grad transfer at that position of need, but those entering the transfer portal lose their guaranteed ship. May not find their next destination attractive or could be left without a ship due to numbers. The danger of too many kids searching for greener pastures would likely benefit schools more than players, especially with a system that allowed you to take more than 25 HS seniors when kids enter the transfer portal.