Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-MBB Florida vs Georgia 1/7/2022 1:00 pm SECN

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 5, 2023.

1. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Happy to eat crow today. We needed this win badly, hopefully a start of good things to come.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Honestly curious how you feel now that White lost to this terrible unprepared team? I'm not being a smartass but you had multiple glowing praises of white beyond just this quote all while disparaging the Gators and golden. I'm beyond disappointed with the Gators this season but I'm willing to let Golden figure some things out and suffer in patient silence for now because Gator sports have enough negativity around them without our own fans praising rivals and dumping on the gators.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Appreciate thinking about me. Yes I’ve been preaching since 2015 when we lost to Wisconsin in the final four. He couldn’t win with an NBA team and I was done. Very small minority then, now I can’t find a seat it’s so full lol.

The UK job is not a more than 6-8 year job in my eyes. There needs to be a change soon or we will continue to fall further down.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Similar to his praise of Willie Taggart LOL

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    "His guys really play hard for him." I remember lol.

To be fair I think Shane is a loyal Gator fan but his posting has become increasingly negative. Im just as frustrated as he is and agree with SOME of his takes. I just can't get on board with the praising everything about some rival coaches while disparaging the coaches we have now for better or worse especially in their first year.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    White has done a very good job with not a lot of Talent. We’ve had some really bad losses iMO. I’ve said in another post or two I’m more concerned with the “it’s going to take time attitude” and that’s not always necessarily from the head coach. You’ve got CC, Wacie, and several transfers our new coach brought in. I’d expect more wins at this time. You can get away with not looking prepared against GA but that’s about the only team. The loss to AM was beyond disappointing. You’d Expect the struggle with a first time coach but CTG is not new at this. BTW if you read my last post you would see I said what a great first SEC victory against Georgia, and I praised CC several times for a monster game. And, Mike White is truly a really good guy so I want good things for him. Like I said he has already over achieved. If he gets to 15 or 16 total wins this year he may get votes for coach of the year in the conference as again their roster is not strong.

• Like Like x 2
  7. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    thanks.
    Right on w loyal.. let me go as far to say as beyond loyal as many would have no idea how much I support the Gators. Lots of miles and then some all times of the year. Love Sully. Love Kelly Rae, and several others. I’m spoiled on SOS, Billy D. and Meyer and want more. I’d also say this:

I sometimes wear orange and blue glasses but when I don’t that doesn’t make me any less loyal than others. It’s also OK to ask questions and wonder why on many things…that’s what I don’t get, why is it not ok to give Kirby, Norvell and others credit? Kirby is a great coach. Norvell nowhere near Kirby but gotta give him credit ( this statement alone will get me dislikes) for a formula that saved his job and brought FSU back to national relevance. To me crediting others is just honestly part of life.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I sure was off on that one w Willie ha. They did play hard for him but that doesn’t equate to wins.
    But I’d say 80-90% of my straightforward posts are spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Agree with pretty much all of that.

Your early in game posts had some effusive praise of White as a coach though and yet they still lost to a struggling florida basketball team. I'm with you on Mike White as a good person and solid coach but in the end he showed the same results we came to expect while he was here. A scoring drought while failing to close out a game. All of this with almost 10 years experience at the SEC level.

Mike White is what we knew we had. A high floor low ceiling coach. We would have a much better record with him today but our ceiling would be the same. Now at the moment I'd rather have a Mike White level performance for the year but long term I'll take my chances that golden will turn a corner and have a higher ceiling here as an overall program. I also think White lost the fan base and was too much of an introvert to keep performing at the level we were trending.

Same over in the football forums. I agree Napier should have filled out the roster with some portal defenders last year. I question some of his playcalling but overall the offense put up respectable numbers with a totally erratic QB. I think he's running the program correctly in most every way for the first time since spurrier. Sure there is more than one way to skin a cat (TCU) but I like our chances at being a stable winning program under him in time.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Great post brother and I always reflect!!
    I’m so Daggum competitive.
    Hope to get a couple of big-time portal guys this weekend!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep, I said that to my brother at the game. Awesome play.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, we turned it up and got some runouts and that seemed to make the basket a little bit bigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Sometimes we give you grief but I've never questioned your passion or loyalty. Now there are others though.....

Not that I'm the perfect fan or judge and jury. Again, I go through every emotion as a fan lol. I just have learned to use some more patience and discretion over the years. The last 15 years or so has given me little choice.... ugh

14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    And what should we make of those posts that are sideways or in a twist? :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator

Sep 15, 2007
    Do they actually celebrate with us in victory? @shane4three obviously is.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    That I’m not always wearing oB glasses. Gotta be ok to not always wear the glasses right? Questions are ok. Hate to say it but concerned Billy hasn’t grabbed a WR in portal. Not sure we’ve even offered any yet. My user name should be intenseGator.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yes sir. Celebrated cc all day long with his monster game and one of my last post of the day mentioned what a big victory this was especially over Georgia.

• Like Like x 2
  18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Saw the game via on-demand. I thought this game and the aTm game were games of similar makeup among the teams. About the biggest difference was that aTm had a seasoned coach (for the program) whereas we (and UGa) had newbies. I am not sure what gave UGa their 11 wins (versus our 7), but I presume it is because the teams we played were somewhat better.

Now, for some reason the ball went in this game instead of not. That to me was THE difference. I saw some rather, um, creative shots taken that either went in or we got the offensive rebound and then made the putback. Good for the win.

Lofton has to get better if we truly want to turn the corner. He did well and so we won. It is amazing what an effective PG does to the flow of the game.

19. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hopefully, it will also give them some confidence going forward.

For some teams, losses are good teaching moments. I don't think it works that way with this group. They get down on themselves and don't correct mistakes.

Fortunately, a nice comeback and pretty good play down the stretch can reinforce the coaching they're getting.

I think success in the college game (more so than the league) is based on confidence in your game. Outside of some really inferior teams, there's a lot of parity. So the teams that are feeling it really have an advantage.

• Like Like x 2
  20. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    oh, you meant football lol

• Funny Funny x 1