Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: Gators @ Tenn, Sat, 02/09, 4 PM, ESPN

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 8, 2019.

1. garygator27

garygator27 Senior

Mar 28, 2017
    8-11 minutes each is a lot of minutes. They didn’t contribute anything offensively or defensively. They had a negative impact on the game. It has to be positive - play good defense, get some boards, don’t give up momentum. I agree on AN, the two missed layups were bad, and I thought he gave up two open threes and instead dribbled inside the arc by a step and took contested long jumpers. He did control tempo nicely outside of about 5 minutes in the second half, but at this point he has to do more in order for us to beat good teams.

2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    For my Jerry Springer Final Thoughts: Grant Williams initiates contact every time he gets the ball and then whines to the ref if he doesn't get a foul call.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Okauru was a reliable 3-point shooter for three-quarters of last season. Very disappointing this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I thought Nembhard played well today (much better than I thought he played at Auburn). I don't know how many (if any) assists he had today, but he delivered a lot of passes for open shots that just weren't put in the basket. [I do recall him losing one sure assist on a sweet pass to Hayes (who caught it! :cool:) for what would have been an open layup (the only UT player in the paint went for the steal and missed it), but they called a foul that sent Nembhard to the line where his FT hit front rim, back rim, and crawled out the front to miss on the front end of the one-and-one :(] Delivering the ball to others in good scoring position is what I personally most want out of a PG.

I was proud of the effort from our team again! Someone else mentioned UT was lucky, and it also seemed to me like a lot of bounces didn't go our way today: for example, the aforementioned FT; a FT by UT's Williams a little while later on front end of a 1-and-1 that bounced just like Nembhard's but barely stayed in; an air ball three that was a perfect pass to Williams right under the basket; the missed shot by UT that bounced a 2nd time on the rim so that a high-leaping Hudson couldn't grab it, and it allowed Admiral to go over Locke's back and get the rebound and ultimately a foul on Locke; another UT shot that bounced high off the rim a couple times and went in (yes we get those too sometimes - but not today that I recall); the no-call on Locke's 3-point shot when he was fouled, coupled with Admiral flinging his arm back on the rebound and giving Johnson a fat lip (couldn't that have been reviewed for unnecessary contact to the face?); and plenty of other instances where the bounce of a deflected ball (so many passes we deflected that just flew directly to another UT player) or the whistle from the ref didn't seem to go our way.

But, we kept coming back, and kept making UT respond - which they did. Credit to them.

Despite UT's big advantage in the front court, my feeling was that we actually match up with them much better than Auburn, who just has so much speed that it often negated (through penetration by multiple players) our normally stout defense. If it comes to it in the SEC Tourney, I think I'd rather face UT again than Auburn.

But, my biggest takeaway from the last 3 games/losses is that our guys are still competing hard no matter what! They don't get down and they don't panic or let unfriendly crowds get to them. FWIW, my personal cpmt* average has come way down recently, particularly at crunch time! Hopefully, that will translate to some wins down the stretch.

* - cpmt = curses per minute directed at the team due to poor, and sometimes boneheaded :confused:, decisions :cool:

On the other hand, my cpmr (curses per minute directed at the refs), which is usually close to the same as my cpmt was a little bit higher today!!! :mad::cool:

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    It's a lot of minutes cumulatively (30ish min) but individually, each of the bench players may not be directly involved with the offense as the focal point and so as a consequence, they could not really get into the flow of the game. They all had to wait for the offense to come to them before they could get a shot off. They all did have rebounds; Basset scored one bucket but picked up four fouls quickly and was not as effective. Hudson was the most effective bench player and had 6th man minutes (24 min) in this game.

As for Nembhard being the primary ball handler for this team and also being a freshman, he may be wearing out in some of the games by playing the longer minutes. AN is constantly probing the defense to create & also looking for easy shot opportunities for his teammates - that could be draining on any ball handler. In the off-season, AN could continue to try to improve his strength & conditioning to score more effectively near the basket and also to have more in the tank during a long season.

• Like Like x 1