Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: Florida vs Tenn, Sat, 1/12/, 6 PM, ESPN

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 11, 2019.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Florida is going to have it's hand's full with this vaunted line-up Tenn is bringing to town. Between Schofield, Williams, Alexander, and Bone they are averaging 61.6 pts and 25.1 boards a game.

MW said, and rightfully so, that this is a team that could win it all. Others have already stated much of what we needed to do here on the board. We've got to play tenacious D, and we have to score the ball. Even that might not be enough to win this game but it would put us in position to stay with them and perhaps pull it out.

This is a game we could really use Stone if he would come out of his shell. He can present matchup problems for opposing teams but something is just not clicking for him. We also need KA to keep his play up and now is as good of a time as any for Hudson to get hot again.

Unfortunately for me, I am going to miss this game but work beckons and it has to come first. I haven't been posting much because I've been sick for over two months and simply haven't felt like it. I'm finally starting to feel human again. To anyone I have been unduly short with I extend my apologies. I will try to check in as much as possible. Keep up the faith and..........

...Go Gators!!!

Chris Harry's take:

Pregame Stuff: Florida vs No. 3 Tennessee (Saturday, 6 pm)
    [​IMG]
    Chris Harry / Senior Writer
    A nuts and bolts look at UF's clash with the powerful Volunteers.

SHAREFacebook ButtonTwitter ButtonEmail Button
    [​IMG]

FLORIDA vs No. 3 TENNESSEE

When: Saturday, 6 p.m. (EST)
    Where: Exactech Arena/O'Connell Center, Gainesville, Fla.
    Records: Florida (9-5, 1-1); Tennessee (13-1, 2-0)
    TV: ESPN (Beth Mowins and Jimmy Dykes)
    Radio: Gator IMG Sports Network (Mick Hubert and Bill Koss)

STAKES (The Setup)
    [​IMG]
    Exactech Arena/O'Connell Center will be "lit" inside and out Saturday night for a sellout against the Volunteers.
    The O'Dome will be sold out for a visit for a third-ranked Tennessee team that not only is the reigning Southeastern Conference co-champion, but also a fashionable choice to reach the Final Four -- and with its fire-belly upperclassmen, a legitimate national championship contender. ... Florida saved itself from some dire straits Wednesday night by staving off a hard, late charge and winning 57-51 at Arkansas, thus avoiding a similar, double-digit, late-game breakdown that doomed the Gators four days earlier in the SEC opener against South Carolina at home. Tennessee, meanwhile, has been drama-free to start the conference season. The Volunteers annihilated Georgia by 46 in their opener at home, then spanked Missouri by 24 on the road. Their lone loss of the season came in overtime against then-No. 1 Kansas in overtime on a neutral floor. Of Tennessee's 13 victories, all but one were by double-figures, with the exception being a 76-73 win over then-No. 1 Gonzaga, also on a neutral floor. ... The Vols lead the all-time series 74-57, but the Gators have a 35-24 edge at home. ... UT won the last meeting, 62-57, on Feb. 21, 2018 at Knoxville, a defensive slugfest that saw UF score just 18 first-half points. The Gators trailed by 10 in the second half, but three times managed to cut the lead to one. The Vols held on behind 23 points and six rebounds from 2018 SEC Player of the Year Grant Williams, plus 16 points and eight boards from Admiral Schofield. Florida got 11 points, six rebounds and nine assists from point guard Chris Chiozza, but his team shot just 35 percent for the game, including 6-for-24 from the 3-point line (25 percent). ... UF coach Mike White is 1-2 against Tennessee in his four seasons.

STARTERS (Probable Lineups)
    Florida
    Pos. Ht. Wt. Class Per Game
    Kevarrius Hayes F 6-9 227 Senior 6.7 pts / 5.9 reb / 2.0 blk
    Jalen Hudson G 6-6 192 R-Senior 6.9 pts / 3.0 reb
    Noah Locke G 6-3 205 Freshman 10.0 pts / 2.4 reb
    KeVaughn Allen G 6-2 193 Senior 10.9 pts / 2.8 reb
    Andrew Nembhard PG 6-5 191 Freshman 7.4 pts / 2.6 reb / 5.7 ast
    Tennessee Pos. Ht. Wt. Class Per Game
    Grant Williams F 6-7 236 Junior 18.8 pts / 7.8 reb / 3.9 ast
    Kyle Alexander F 6-11 215 Senior 10.6 pts / 8.1 reb / 1.9 blk
    Admiral Schofield G 6-6 241 Senior 18.0 pts / 6.6 reb / 2.9 ast
    Jordan Bone PG 6-3 180 Junior 14.2 pts / 2.6 reb / 6.8 ast
    Yves Pond G 6-6 209 Sophomore 4.0 pts / 3.1 reb

More Here:

Pregame Stuff: Florida vs No. 3 Tennessee (Saturday, 6 pm) - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. UFSECKINGS

UFSECKINGS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    line is currently Tennessee (-3)

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Time to return the favor for when the Vols would upset our favored, national title-winning gator squads!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Dane Bradshaw no longer plays for them.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I wouldn't want to be in Tennessee's shoes right now.......;)

[​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UF Basketball
    Gators look for momentum boost as No. 3 Tennessee comes calling
    By Edgar Thompson Orlando Sentinel
    GAINESVILLE — Mike White could not turn away.
    As difficult as it was to stomach, the Florida Gators men’s basketball coach kept watching.
    Four successive possessions during Wednesday’s night visit to Arkansas ended with three air balls and a turnover. Rather than turn the page, White burned the images in his memory before having his players relive the moment.
    “We watched yesterday,” White said Friday. “Wasn’t very fun to watch. It was about the fourth time I’d watched it.”
    The Gators’ continuing struggles on offense have been impossible to ignore — and might be impossible to overcome.
    Yet, White’s team continues to survive on the defensive end, where Florida ranks fifth nationally in efficiency, according to analytics guru Ken Pomeroy. Defense was just enough for the Gators (9-5, 1-1 SEC) to escape Arkansas with a 57-51 win.

Gators look for momentum boost as No. 3 Tennessee comes calling

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UT Preview
    HOOPS CENTRAL: #3 Tennessee at Florida
    Vol Sports
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A battle between two of the SEC's top defenses is set to take place Saturday night, as No. 3 Tennessee goes on the road for the second time this week to face Florida in Exactech Arena/O'Connell Center.
    Tennessee (13-1, 2-0 SEC) enters the matchup on the heels of an 87-63 win on the road against Missouri. Kyle Alexander dominated the paint with 14 points, a career-high 17 rebounds and three blocks for his third double-double of the season--and second in a row. During the last four games, the senior forward is shooting 81 percent (25-of-31) from the field during and is averaging 13.3 ppg during span.

Florida (9-5, 1-1 SEC) rebounded from a loss at home last Saturday to South Carolina by going on the road and defeating Arkansas in Bud Walton Arena. The Gators boast one of the best defenses in the country, ranking eighth in scoring defense (60.0 ppg) and coming in at 23rd in field-goal percentage defense (.389). UF has held six opponents to fewer than 60 points already this season, including Arkansas, Stanford and West Virginia.

A WIN WOULD...
    • Extend Tennessee's win streak to 10 games. The Vols' last 10-game win streak came during the 2007-08 campaign, when UT reeled off 11 straight victories from Nov. 27 through Jan. 19.
    • Give the Vols a five-game win streak in true road games, dating to last season.

HOOPS CENTRAL: #3 Tennessee at Florida - University of Tennessee Athletics

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My wife planned my birthday for 8:15 tonight and the place is like 20 minutes away. Here is to praying that I can leave before the game is over because we are dropping the hammer on the Vols!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    In the car, on the way! Go Gators!!!

• Like Like x 5
  10. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    This just in.......

South Carolina announced Friday that the Gamecocks men’s basketball game against Missouri, scheduled for 1 p.m., has been postponed.

South Carolina (7-7, 2-0) is currently first in the SEC with wins over Florida and Mississippi State. Missouri (9-4, 0-1 SEC) is coming off a 87-63 loss to Tennessee on Tuesday night.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GratefulGator

GratefulGator All American

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Tennessee is a great team, but certainly not unbeatable.
    If the UF team that played Butler2 shows up, we may win.
    If the team that played fsu shows up, we will lose, simple as that.
    If we do get down big, I just hope we don't give up and roll over.
    Go Gators! Beat 10rc!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    IMG_2482.JPG

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Complete mismatch on paper, but that's why we play the games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Dan Mullen to speak to Florida fans at basketball game against No. 3 Tennessee

Dan Mullen will address the crowd 15 minutes before the 6 p.m. ET tipoff. Later, at the under-12 media timeout, RB Lamical Perine and WR Tyrie Cleveland will will work the t-shirt cannon. Perine and Cleveland both announced they will be returning for the 2019 season.

The whole Exactech Arena crowd will get to hear what Mullen has to say, but it’s safe to assume that he’ll be preparing his words with a select group of attendees in mind. Florida will be hosting 4-star WR commit Arjei Henderson, 4-star CB Kaiir Elam, 4-star ATH Mark-Antony Richards, 4-star DE Charles Moore, 3-star DE Smith Vilbert and 3-star OT Ira Henry as visitors this weekend. They will certainly be in the house Saturday for the hoops game.

Florida’s 2019 class currently has 23 total commitments (9 enrollees, 12 signees, 2 verbal commits). Mullen is clearly hoping to add to that number.

:alligator::emoji_basketball::alligator::emoji_football::emoji_call_me:

• Like Like x 4
  15. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Judging from those #’s, we may not have to worry about blowing a lead for the 3rd game in a row!!

16. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    I don't trust those numbers as true metrics. I think KenPom's metrics may prove more accurate. (one point Tennessee win).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Why can't it be Valerie Perrine working the T-shirt cannon?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    This might be a Stokes game. Bassett is going to have a ton of trouble down low. Hayes cannot get in foul trouble and has to try to use his length to bother Williams near the rim. Williams is dominant down low, but is only 6-7. If Hayes can stay on his feet, not fall for pump fakes, and just bother him, we can contain his scoring some.

• Like Like x 1
  19. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hoping for some home cooking from the refs

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I would love for OUR Stokes to do to UT what their Stokes did to us over the years

• Agree Agree x 1