Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

OGT: Florida vs SC, Sat, 01/05, 7 PM, ESPN2

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 4, 2019.

1. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You are dreaming! We have won more championships in the last 20 years than every SEC conference member combined- including Kentucky. Yet right now, we are probably the 7th or 8th best team in the conference. Last year we never threatened for the conference title or the tournament. In Billy's fourth year, he took us to the NCAA finals and we finished first in the SEC. He landed his first NBA star recruit in 1996, the first year he got here. White is finally getting blue chip players 4 years into the campaign. They are all 6'5"-6'7" and therefore are not ideally suited for big runs in the NCAA tournament let alone the SEC which is a physical athletic league.

God knows what happened to Gak and Johnson who would have given us more toughness in the paint. Johnson probably would have been our best scoring option at 6'9", but now he's transferring, and quite frankly, I don't blame him. White is obsessed with playing with undersized people who get out rebounded at critical stages of the game, and who have to live and die on the perimeter. This year we have been dying time and time again. He stakes his team's fortunes on a freshman who basically only shoots 3s and whose legs were probably worn down by the middle of the second half (he hoisted 15 of them). Why not put in Okauru or Hudson or let Allen take some of those shots???? Basic coaching!!!! It's lacking here plain and simple!!!!

Long Droughts

This was the criticism of White's strategy last year where we endured the same long droughts of inability to score. At the 11:05 mark in this game in the second half, we were up by 12 and were shooting 8-14 from the field. The last 11:04 of the game, we shot 1-10. There are countless other games this year and last where similar fates unfolded for this team. These are largely White's players now. He has his entire coaching staff in place. The team is going backwards despite the improvement in recruiting. We have a legacy in the last 20 years that is better than the entire league combined. This is INEXCUSABLE!!!!

And he will be gone very soon if this keeps up which given the current mindset of the team I see no reason why it won't. Game after game we see a small capacity O'Dome not filled to capacity. This did not happen under Donovan. He is 0 for FSU, a team that has not even played in a Final Four in our life time let alone won a National Championship. The cards are not unfolding well in White's favor right now.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Interestingly, the EXACT same discussions are . . . and have been . . . taking place on the UK message boards.

"Cal can recruit, but can't coach."

"What is our offensive identity?"

"Everyone stands around."

"Cal can't coach offense."

Now, some here do believe that about Calipari. I never have. I think we are seeing the double-eged sword of the DDO offense.... which, btw, isn't my favorite either.

It offers a ton of player freedom .... which attracts top recruits like Mann, Nembhard and Lewis. But that freedom requires talent, aggression and the proper read/react. When any of that is missing . . . the ddo looks god-awful. When those pieces are there, it can win a ton of games. Now, in defense of our fans. . . have only seen small samplings. But I am amazed by the short memories of Cats fans.

Anyway, as to your point about superstars. . . .we have a few in the making and more on the way.

I really like where our program is headed.

To suggest it is in shambles . . .well, I disagree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Why do some of you keep saying White only gets 6-5 to 6-7 players? Here's a few since he got here.
    6-9 Hayes
    6-8 Stone
    6-7.5 Leon
    6-10 Gak
    6-8 Bassett
    6-8 Stokes
    6-8 C Johnson
    6-9 Omar Payne
    That's 8 out of 14 players above 6-7. Only Gak and Johnson didn't work out. I'm really looking forward to see Payne, a Top 40 recruit, play for us next year.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

I'm not dreaming. MW is not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    With all the back and forth on this thread, the bottom line is the way this team has played so far is disappointing. I believe the blame falls on everyone involved. Let’s hope they can turn it around but after this debacle, I have some serious doubts.

6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  7. JHCRANE14

JHCRANE14 Junior

Aug 31, 2014
    Tennessee/Florida
    Tough loss yesterday...I thought ya’ll had it :(

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

9. kansascitygator

kansascitygator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Next year is the barometer. There's no excuse for what's happening now but next year this s* and these patterns need to turn around for good

10. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I don't think we'll be ready next year unless we land a talented grad transfer big. It'll take a few years for Mann/Lewis/Nembhard/Payne/Locke/Ballard/Johnson/Stokes to gel. I believe they are talented enough, but without better interior play we really can't set the bar too high.

11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

People make stuff up to fit their narrative. Especially drive by complainers who get off on complaining.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    This team is struggling, but it's not in "shambles." Though, we do desperately lack leadership.
    Our upperclassmen are all quiet nice guys. That's just their temperament, can't really change that at this point.

What we are lacking are hard-nosed vocal leaders. I hope Mann/Lewis/Payne bring that type of competitiveness to our team. Last night, people were complaining about Silva's thuggishness, but man, I would love to have a guy or two like that on my team. CMW also needs to get a little more fire in his belly too, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    For those of you wondering about the officials for this game A. J. Desai was one. Last time we saw him was a close loss to Clemson last year.

• Informative Informative x 2