Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

OGT: Florida vs LSU, Wed, 03/06, 7 PM, ESPN2

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Mar 5, 2019.

1. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I think he is addressing his offensive issues: Tre Mann and Scottie Lewis. Looking at what his senior wing players have struggled to do this year and he's bringing in 2 guys who specialize in doing what they struggled at doing.

2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I remember that game.
    Brutal.

3. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Yeah, not sure about that. Maybe things will be better next year when we have 2 or 3 possible NBA guys on the roster, instead of 1.

4. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I mentioned that in FCP the other day in response to a poster saying Billy's players were always running free during an inbound. I do love me some selective memories when people art trying to get on White.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    There has been a lot more sets to this offense this year, post-Bahamas trip, than previous years (which were more DDO and transition oriented). So the offense has morphed quite a bit and white has added elements.

When was the last game you attended?
    I’m not seeing much drop in fan enthusiasm from this year to last.

To me, it’s about hitting open looks. When we do: excitement...when we miss, there’s frustration. We are getting open looks, but missing. Now, some blame it on coaching....others say: the system got the open look....just need to execute.

But there has been a drop from the days when Rowdies camped out.

Btw, this “system” argument reminds me of a game this year: a fan behind me says “all we do is stand around”. Meanwhile, I’m watching gators run a weave and a hard curl around a screen....that is to say, fans have this bias that is so entrenched: what is actually occurring before their eyes, they can’t even *see*.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I remember the comments from last year about how they were each not well suited to the DDO system (especially Egor) and how that held back the whole offense. At the beginning of the year, people were pretty mad that we were picked fifth (thinking that we were far better than that). Now, we would be thrilled to finish fifth.

UF picked to finish 5th in SEC hoops | Swamp Gas Forums

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Struggling teams are always young. We saw it in football from 2013-2017. I didn't expect it, just like I don't expect the Freshmen next year to change everything (which you are starting to see from some posters this year). Just pointing out that it is a thought that people rely upon. Next year's personnel will be much better for DDO, I'm sure.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Right, Egor might not have been the best fit for the DDO but who did we bring in that was going to replace him?

And then Jalen disappeared. And KeVaughn has now disappeared. And Stone disappeared too. And then he got hurt. And finishing 5th is just off talent, it doesn't take into account schedule. We might have the 5th best roster, I think it's 6th best, but we play 9 games against teams with better rosters. So that's tough. Billy usually had the 2nd best roster in the league behind UK, rarely was he lower than 3rd.

9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Let's say his system creates enough open looks to be successful (a heck of an assumption, as all teams miss open looks and I don't think our team is intrinsically worse at shooting than other teams, but lets assume). Then why are all of his players not able to hit the open looks generated by his offense? That argument works better in Year 1 than it does in Year 4.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So why is our roster the 6th best in Year 4? And why are so many of the experienced players disappearing? One can be a personal issue, but when you have 1/4 of the team disappearing, why is that happening?

11. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Why does Tiger Woods have bad tournaments or, now, have off years? A host of reasons.

Why did BD have one of his worst seasons ....at the end of his UF career?

12. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    His recruiting in years 1 and 2 was bad. Don't wanna trash kids. But you can look and tell that some of these kids have no business playing in the SEC.

And the other schools in the SEC were building up to this year, especially Miss State. And Auburn hired Bruce Pearl. And LSU hired Will Wade. And they did what they do.

If we add a grad transfer big, I think we could be the 2nd or 3rd most talented roster in the league next season.

13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Tiger Woods now has off years because his body is physically falling apart. He needed back surgery to deal with long-term damage. However, he still has talent.

Your argument would make more sense if we had a situation in which 1 year out of 4 had quite poor offense. Instead, we have the reverse, where 3 years out of 4 were quite poor.

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So how many years will it take for him to correct the roster?

15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Can fix it with a grad transfer for next year. Depends on who else stays or transfers.

17. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Injuries have a role in this sport. Plus, there’s variability in sports performance. Players cycle....teams cycle as players come and go.
    The is variability from game to game...and from half to half.

And if a program is always supposed to improve...well, that’s an impossibility...but anyway, BD’s last season in g’ville should have been his best....not one of his worst.

18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Sure, but the variability is around a poor average performance on offense with White. Which is why I am focusing my comments at a high level rather than focusing exclusively on one game.

Our program shouldn't consistently have an offense outside of the top 40 when accounting for the strength of our schedule and our pace of play. There should be an expectation of performance to improve from there at Florida.

And, again, Billy's last year is an example of a poor year as part of a run of successful years. That can be excused as variance. White's teams are consistently poor on offense.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    We simply aren’t cheating like the rest of the conference when it comes to building the roster!

20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So with two three person recruiting classes (one of whom will be all freshmen next year) and the right grad transfer, all of our roster issues are solved?