Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Florida vs. Elon Nov. 9, 2021 | 8 p.m.ESPN

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Nov 6, 2021.

1. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    A few observations from the game.

Ft shooting was horrendous and needs to improve in a hurry. 55% on 29 attempts is not going to cut it.

Very sloppy 2nd half on offense after they got a big lead, but they need to stay focused regardless or how much they're up. Better teams can easily come back from 20 down as we have seen too many times.

Keep feeding Jones and McKissic the ball once they've made a couple of shots. Between them and Appleby, there should be enough 3 point shooters. If they all get hot, look out.

Felder needs to watch tape of Will Yeguete at Florida. Ceiling is high, but for now should focus on rebounding, defense, shot blocking and put backs. I feel like there will games that he'll be needed, but at this stage not for his offense.

Reeves is really raw (at least from watching the exhibition and Elon games) and with his height, he can help with rebounding and defense. Tough to see how much he'll play early in the season, but hopefully in the 2nd half of the season, the game will slow down for him.

It seems to me that Lane needs to figure out how to relax during games or not think so much. Once he misses a shot or ft, it just seems to snowball for him. I think he plays great defense and I was really happy he came back, but he's got to contribute a little on offense when he's in the game. Had an opportunity at the line but went 0-4.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. GratorGator

GratorGator All American

Nov 14, 2015
    And so It begins in game 1. Big lead squandered in the second half. This was against Elon Musk for goodness sake. Blah blah blah first game. Blah blah blah bunch of new players. Blah blah blah some things never change.

• Dislike x 7
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I did miss the first half so I’m glad to hear that

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I wish I did too. Playing poker with the boys. Did ok . Probably a little better than our FT %

5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    This football situation has got me on edge Hoyt. You know I hardly ever get grouchy !!! Lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I know the first game against a meh opponent isn't going to gain any real insight in the bulk of the season. Still I was pleased with how the new pieces seem to have meshed. A lot of size out on the court. Lane looks like he is going to take himself off the court. He has really gotten big and to me looks like a football player playing basketball.

I was at least pleasantly surprised at the look I saw from Jitoboh. He appears to be a lot more agile. I don't know about his offense around the basket but I think he will be a piece Mike can use with more regularity, if for no other reason than for 5 fouls against the stouter teams.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    McKissic's energy was a bright spot for sure. Between him, App, and Duruji our energy level should always be good.

If they can put together a well-oiled machine and a few players elevate their game could be quite a good year - certainly entertaining. We need App or Jones to step up and run the show and be the money man especially at crunch. If they don't it may be McKissic he's got moxie.

• Like Like x 1
  8. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Maybe this team can evolve into something like the 94 team...no superstars but a scrappy team that finds a way to win games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    More of Mike White Season 8 Episode 1.

Play good for a while, stink in 2nd half. Lose 2nd half by 10 to Elon Muskies.

2021-2022 will be about 17-14 or 18-13, at best.

He is the epitome of a mediocre college coach.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I am glad he is playing everyone on the bench early. The year is long and you never know about injuries, sickness etc. This team has very good talent, it just needs to come together as they play the big D-1 teams. This is what Kentucky does most years, we need to keep working grinding and everyone needs to make FT’s. Once all the shooters get a couple threes in a row this will help wear teams down. Final four, doubtful, sweet sixteen we should get there. It is going to be fun to watch this team grow. So don’t give up hope!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    You didn’t notice what he was doing at the end of the second half? C’mon man. You know this.

CMW has fair things to complain about but c’mon this is not one of them. Was White mediocre when we were up 28? So now we’re slamming a coach for trying to develop younger guys and letting them have a few minutes against a lesser opponent we’ve already beaten into submission?

Sometimes it seems like people just want to complain.

It’s his 7th season btw.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I can’t post the picture but there was an interesting graphic last night regarding CMW’s time at UF.

63 SEC wins (2nd most in SEC)
    27 Road SEC wins (2nd most in SEC)
    18 overall T25 wins (2nd most in SEC)

1 of 8 teams in the country to make last 4 NCAA tourney and win 1 game.

That ain’t mediocre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Glad to see a lot more off the ball movement on offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And without illegal screens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. IndialanticGator

IndialanticGator Freshman

Apr 10, 2007
    Just watched it on demand. Overall, I was fairly impressed with us, particularly defensively. Liked the energy and rebounding in the first half and it was a pleasant surprise to see offensive issues from trying to score too quickly rather than holding the ball and standing around. Also, kudos to whoever had the halftime adjustment to zip down the mock turtleneck on White for the 2nd half... big improvement.

I was happy with what I saw from the transfers, but was a bit underwhelmed by Felder, who I expected more from coming from the ACC. Hopefully, it was just an off night. We also need less Castleton dribbling through the lane. He had a solid game otherwise, but we had a few turnovers with him trying to create off the dribble. If we can keep Castleton out of foul trouble, I think our defense and streaky shooting from Jones and McKissic should get us some better than expected results this season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorSieg

GatorSieg GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I admittedly got to only watch about a quarter of the game but one of the announcers had a good point - they know Castleton has NBA ambition at the very least and he got feedback over the summer what he needs to show to be considered. The season will be a balancing act for the coaching staff who need him to play in the paint to win games but also give him a long leash to show out what he can do for the next level when possible (ball handling, 3 pt shooting).

• Like Like x 1
  17. russ21

russ21 Premium Member

Dec 25, 2013
    He’s just gotta be careful about not exposing what he can’t do well while trying to show what he can do, not sure how his perimeter drives will go over against the better sec defenses

18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I love Mile White as our coach and certainly a terrific face to UF basketball. I want him to be here forever. I even think that he is high on other schools list of future coaches . With that being said there is some truth to your post . However Can you call a coach who has been to the dance while playing in a P5 conference mediocre? You did but I don’t have the armor to battle you. I just k ow he is my guy and dont want him to leave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  20. GatorSieg

GatorSieg GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Some of his drives against FSU looked really good...and then missed the bunny at the end. He's kinda stuck being a really good old school post player with paint scoring, rebounding intensity and shot blocking. But the modern NBA is all about motion and unless you're fantastic at a single skill like shooting or ballhandling, you have to be a Swiss Army knife of skills at almost every position.