Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: Florida vs Arkie, Thurs, 03/14, 1 PM, SEC Network

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Mar 13, 2019.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    We need Dr. Jekyl to show up tomorrow if we have much of any hopes of slipping into the Big Dance.

Chris Harry's take:

Pregame Stuff: Florida vs Arkansas (Thursday, 1 pm ET)
    [​IMG]
    Chris Harry / Senior Writer
    A nuts and bolts look at UF's second-round date with Arkansas in the SEC Tournament.

SHAREFacebook ButtonTwitter ButtonEmail Button
    [​IMG]

SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT
    FLORIDA vs ARKANSAS

When: Thursday, 1 p.m. (ET)
    Where: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, Tenn.
    Records: Florida (17-14); Arkansas (17-14)
    TV: SEC Network (Karl Ravech, Jimmy Dykes and Laura Rutledge)
    Radio: Gator IMG Sports Network (Mick Hubert and Mark Wise)

STAKES (The Setup)
    [​IMG]
    Bridgestone Arena, which is home to the NHL Nashville Predators, has a capacity of 19,395 for basketball and will be hosting the SEC Tournament for the 13th time, dating to 2001, when it was known as the Gaylord Entertainment Center.
    Florida is the No. 8 seed and Arkansas the No. 9 in the Southeastern Conference Tournament, which is back in Nashville, Tenn., after its one-year shot in St. Louis in 2018. The Gators and Razorbacks earned their seeds based on 9-9 and 8-10 league records, respectively. ... UF lost its last three games to end the regular season, thus putting itself in a precarious situation (that's probably putting it diplomatically) relative to NCAA Tournament hopes. True, the Gators boast high marks in the NET metrics [​IMG](No. 33 overall) that ultimately will seed the 68-team NCAA field, but they don't have a lot of quality victories to show for it. Two wins in this tournament may very well be enough to push them in. There's even speculation one win could be enough, but who knows? As for the Hogs, whose NET sits at 55, they probably need an extended run to catch the eye of the selection committee. ... Florida leads the all-time series 24-12, including a 4-2 edge in SEC Tournament play. ... UF and Arkansas met on Jan. 9 at Fayetteville, where the Gators won 57-51, with four free throws in the final 12 seconds from homegrown KeVaughn Allen helping seal the second SEC game of the season. UF built a 15-point cushion, only to let the Razorbacks roll back into the game with a late surge. The Gators, up two, needed a defensive stop with 30 seconds left, plus the free throws from Allen, who finished with 18 points, five rebounds and 11-for-12 from the free-throw line. ... For what it's worth, Florida won the regular-season meeting last year in Gainesville, then was beaten 80-72 by Arkansas in the tournament quarterfinals a year ago. ... UF is 43-49 all-time in the SEC Tournament. ... This will mark the third in Coach Mike White's four seasons at Florida that he has faced Arkansas in the SEC Tournament. White is 1-3 overall in the tournament, with his lone win coming in a 68-61 win over the Hogs in the 2016 second round, though the Gators are on a current three-game losing skid in the tournament since.

STARTERS (Probable Lineups)
    Florida
    Pos. Ht. Wt. Class Per Game
    Keyontae Johnson F 6-5 225 Freshman 7.5 pts / 5.8 reb
    Kevarrius Hayes F 6-9 227 Senior 7.8 pts / 6.1 reb
    Jalen Hudson G 6-3 205 R-Senior 8.7 pts / 2.7 reb
    Noah Locke G 6-3 205 Freshman 10.2 pts / 2.5 reb
    Andrew Nembhard PG 6-5 191 Freshman 7.9 pts / 2.7 reb / 5.2 ast
    Arkansas Pos. Ht. Wt. Class Per Game
    Gabe Osabuobien F 6-6 222 Junior 2.9 pts / 2.9 reb
    Daniel Gafford F 6-11 233 Sophomore 17.0 pts / 8.7 reb / 2.1 blk
    Isaiah Joe G 6-5 167 Freshman 14.0 pts / 2.7 reb
    Desi Sills G 6-5 207 Sophomore 4.7 pts / 1.3 reb
    Jalen Harris G 6-2 166 R-Sophomore 7.8 pts / 2.7 reb / 5.5 ast

More here:

Pregame Stuff: Florida vs Arkansas (Thursday, 1 pm ET) - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Hoping @akaGatorhoops can snag a few hogfish....but he may need a long cast/line to do that from Nashville!

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Time to ratchet up the defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Hopefully we are sizzling with the shots....like bacon frying on a hot skillet.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I live in NYC and told my boss I have family coming in tomorrow afternoon for some siteseeing . And told him they might want to do something Friday afternoon and I might not be in then either. Let’s pray I need the Friday excuse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Latest Lunardi bracketology has us as an 11 seed: LINK

Of course a win tomorrow night puts us in a much better position to stay in but I don't think a loss necessarily leaves us out either.

That said......

Agree with @fox that our defense will have to play to their capacity to give our offense the best chance to get it done.

Hopefully Allen will come out of his funk and Hudson will have another great night.

And Hayes better make his dang FT's - and I mean ALL of them!

GO Gators!

• Like Like x 1
  7. gohogs14

gohogs14 Freshman

May 7, 2011
    Let’s all pray neither team starts out a combined 0/22 from three or whatever it was in the first game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Jalen Hudson G 6-3 205 R-Senior 8.7 pts / 2.7 reb
    I believe Hudson is maybe 6-5. Either way Arky is one of the few teams we match up with in the conference.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  10. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    SEC Tournament
    'Anything can happen': Gators' coach says wipe away streaks
    by Bob Holt Arkansas Democrat Gazette
    Arkansas (17-14, 8-10) has won three consecutive games going into today's noon Central tipoff against the the Gators (17-14, 9-9) at Bridgestone Arena. Florida has lost three in a row.
    What do the contrasting streaks mean for today's game?
    "Nothing at all," Gators Coach Mike White said. "I just think it's a clean slate for everybody in the league. You've got a bunch of parity in the middle of the SEC where both of us sit. Anything can happen."

Florida carried a three-game winning streak into the SEC Tournament last season in St. Louis, but lost its first game to Arkansas 80-72 after the Razorbacks beat South Carolina in their opener 69-64.
    "It's not a matter of how well they're playing or how well we're playing going into it," White said. "It's those 40 minutes when we tip it up and who plays better then. That's it."
    'Anything can happen': Gators' coach says wipe away streaks

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    IMO a loss definitely puts UF out. So a lot to play for.
    Lets go Gators!

12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    So, who shows up, Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde?

BTW, I am not sure which is the one we want. My guess is Dr. Jekyll who gets how Mr. Hyde shakes things up. But if we play like an academician, it is who we are.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd like to see them all play to the top of their abilities at the same time for the next 10 games.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Arkansas Democrat Gazette's columnist Wally Hall said that the piggies got the best draw possible today. I hope we make him eat his words. He stated that we haven't improved any from our first match up. He clearly hasn't been watching our freshman this year. He also says Arky is much better than when we met them in Fayetteville. I see their regular season ending on a soft schedule, and ours on a tough one. We are battle tested and ready to go. I want Allen to end his career vs. his home state team on a high note. Come on Gators. Get up and Go!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Just pulled up to the sports bar by myself on a long "lunch". Let's go Gators!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. lawgator1

lawgator1 Freshman

Nov 13, 2018
    Drive the basket, draw fouls, don't be afraid. And for God's sake, no reckless 3 point shots when there are more than ten seconds on the shot clock and no Gator player anywhere near the rim.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Glad I asked when I got there. This random "Sports Bar" I stopped in didnt have the SEC Network. Weakest crap ever.

18. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    @JalenHudson

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. sportsdownsouth

sportsdownsouth Freshman

Apr 12, 2017
    Florida
    I am trying to watch it online through watchespn but the website seems down when I go to watch secnetwork...anyone else having this issue?

20. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Bummer!