Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: Florida @ SC, Tues, 01/07, 7 P.M., ESPNU

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 6, 2020.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Hopefully, we will see the Gators build on their second half performance against Bama in their last outing on Saturday. They need to get off to a better start in this one since they will be playing in front of a hostile crowd.

Chris Harry's take:

Monday, January 6, 2020
    Pregame Stuff: Florida at South Carolina (Tuesday, 7 pm)
    [​IMG]
    Chris Harry / Senior Writer
    A nuts and bolts look at Tuesday night's SEC road opener for the Gators.

SHAREFacebook ButtonTwitter ButtonEmail Button
    [​IMG]

FLORIDA at SOUTH CAROLINA

When: Tuesday, 7 p.m. (EST)
    Where: Colonial Life Arena, Columbia, S.C.
    Records: Florida (9-4, 1-0); South Carolina (8-5, 0-0)
    TV: ESPN2 (Kevin Fitzgerald and Jimmy Dykes)
    Radio: Gator IMG Sports Network (Mick Hubert and Bill Koss)

THE BASICS
    [​IMG]
    UF won its last trip to Colonial Life Arena (capacity 18,000). That was back in 2018. The Gators, though, lost their previous two road games at Columbia, S.C., those coming in 2016 and '17.
    It's the Southeastern Conference road opener for Florida and the just-plain league opener for South Carolina, which was idle over the weekend. ... The Gators are coming off an incredible 104-98 double-overtime home win Saturday night against Alabama, a game they trailed by 21 in the first half and eight with less than two minutes remaining before storming to victory. While the Gators were working overtime, the Gamecocks have not played since a disastrous 63-56 home loss to Stetson on Dec. 30. That shocking outcome came eight days after an equaling seismic one that worked in South Carolina's favor, as the Gamecocks went on the road and pretty much manhandled reigning NCAA champion and ninth-ranked Virginia, leaving Charlottesville with a 70-59 victory. ... UF leads the all-time series 45-27, but the Gamecocks have won three of the previous four (and five of the last seven, dating to 2016), including a numbing 71-69 heist at Exactech Arena/O'Connell Center on Jan. 5, 2019. In that one, Gators nemesis and Gamecocks forward Chris Silva caught a length-of-the-court pass and (after what appeared to be, first, a push-off, then, a travel) threw down a dunk with one second left to complete a USC comeback from 14 points down. Silva finished with 18 points and nine rebounds. UF, which led for 35 minutes of the 40 minutes that night, got 17 points from Noah Locke, but shot just 33 percent in the second half. ... Florida is 2-5 against South Carolina under Coach Mike White, including 1-2 on the road, plus an 0-1 neutral-site mark, courtesy of Gamecocks' 77-70 win in the Elite Eight round of the 2017 NCAA East Region that earned the program its first Final Four appearance.

PROBABLE STARTERS
    Florida
    Pos. Ht. Wt. Class Per Game
    Keyontae Johnson F 6-5 225 Sophomore 13.0 pts / 6.8 reb
    Kerry Blackshear Jr. F 6-10 232 G-Transfer 14.9 pts / 9.0 reb
    Omar Payne F 6-10 223 Freshman 4.3 pts / 4.0 reb
    Noah Locke G 6-2 193 Sophomore 10.2 pts / 3.3 reb
    Andrew Nembhard PG 6-5 191 Sophomore 10.6 pts / 2.8 reb / 5.7 ast
    South Carolina Pos. Ht. Wt. Class Per Game
    Maik Kotsar F 6-11 270 Senior 9.7 pts / 5.8 reb
    Keyshawn Bryant F 6-5 197 Sophomore 7.6 pts / 1.8 reb
    Justin Minaya G 6-6 215 R-Sophomore 7.2 pts / 5.5 reb
    A.J. Lawson G 6-6 178 Sophomore 15.5 pts / 3.1 reb
    Jair Bolden G 6-3 215 R-Junior 9.4 pts / 3.3 reb

More Here: Pregame Stuff: Florida at South Carolina (Tuesday, 7 pm) - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Last year early in the season we would get up by 20 and then find a way to lose or squeak by. Now we get behind by 20 and fight our way back. We are on the Love Rollercoaster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

Those were the days. Bell bottoms and Wolf Man Jack. Heard him for the first time when I and a buddy made our way up to New York City. Think he was on WABC but not positive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    "Are your peaches fuzzy Baby"

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm a little curious if Johnson gets a start for this game. He was off his game for some of the last time out. Sometimes he was slow getting to his man on D. I believe there was a mention or two about it since Saturday. We might see a starting 5 of Nembhard, Locke, Lewis, Blackshear and Payne. I said before the season that Johnson was the glue for this team. I still think that but we need his consistency, like the end of last year. Yes he had foul trouble but his focus seemed off because of it. Against SC he will not be over matched in height so he should get his chances. I just hope the refs give him calls like they give SC the same calls.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Note from a Pat Dooley Column in the Sun:
    If you were at the O-Dome Saturday night for the double-OT thriller against Alabama, it probably made your weekend. If you were not, well, we missed you. It was one of the most improbable wins in Gator history and was much needed before UF goes on the road for two straight SEC games. Mike White said after the game that while he hopes this sparks the Gators to bigger and better things, “We’ve got to get over this quickly.” And one concern is that Florida will have five players who were on the floor for at least 30 intense minutes (Noah Locke played 44:35, Andrew Nembhard 41:01) while South Carolina will suit up tonight without having played a game in eight days. That last Gamecocks game was a stunning loss to Stetson, which came on the heels of a stunning win over Virginia. Yes, you can color me stunned. Bottom line — we don’t know what to expect from either team, so it could be fun? Maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UF BASKETBALL

Gators look to build on historic victory

It’s off to S. Carolina after epic comeback win
    By Edgar Thompson Sentinel Sports
    GAINESVILLE — UF coach Mike White does not want to find out whether history can repeat itself for the Gators.
    Once was enough, though White does hope his team benefits from the experience gained during its school-record comeback in double overtime this past Saturday against Alabama.

“I hope we’re never down 21 again and we don’t have to talk about that,” White said Monday after the dramatic 104-98 win. “But chances are we’ll have games this year where we’re in a tough spot. How tough? We’ll see.
    “Potentially you could draw upon that performance, the fact that we were able to pull one out.”

The gritty performance left the Gators (9-4, 1-0 SEC) on an emotional high after what could have been a demoralizing defeat. But White immediately looked to ground his players in the post-game locker room and turn their attention toward Tuesday’s visit to South Carolina (8-5, 0-0).
    “On to the next one,” White said. “There are 18 of these. That was one.”

Fresh off a 24-point, 16-rebound night for his SEC-leading seventh double-double, big man Kerry Blackshear Jr. echoed his coach’s sentiments.
    Asked Monday how to come down from such an exhilarating win, the senior from Orlando said, “Just understanding that it’s a long season and that we have 17 more of those type of games left. That was a hard-fought one, but we still play a high quality team on the road. I think that will humble you pretty fast.”
    Gators look to build on historic victory

10. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Would be really nice to pick this one up and get some momentum going to start conference play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    That really was a fun game to witness...and whew! Glad we ended up with the much needed win!

It sorta re-invigorated me about gator hoops and our prospects. “We can do it!” Hope is up. Confidence is up. Energy is up. Optimism is back.

• Like Like x 2
  12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gamecocks’ Frank Martin was ‘embarrassed and disturbed’ but says team can succeed in SEC
    By David Cloninger dcloninger@postandcourier.com
    COLUMBIA — Frank Martin shouted, screamed, shamed and sat on the bench, his head buried in his hands. Nothing worked.

“I got really negative on the bench against Stetson, and I did it on purpose,” Martin said. “I was embarrassed and disturbed by how we took the court that day, and the score of the game had nothing to do with how I felt. After that performance, I needed them to know that that kind of performance isn’t going to be tolerated around here.”

South Carolina lost 63-56 to Stetson to close its non-conference schedule, a defeat as brutal because of the opponent (No. 316 in the NCAA’s NET rankings) and for how it immediately changed direction for the Gamecocks’ season. Everything was thought to be figured out, thought to be corrected after USC upset then-No. 9 Virginia on the road.

But as has been the case ever since the book closed on the 2017 Final Four run, the only consistency USC basketball has is inconsistency. Martin has proven he can get teams with underwhelming talent to play at a high level, but this team, with a lot more talent than an 8-5 record suggests, has strained his patience.
    Gamecocks' Frank Martin was 'embarrassed and disturbed' but says team can succeed in SEC

Bad loss aside, USC basketball understands it ‘can win any game left on the schedule’
    By Andrew Ramspacher in The State
    A break in Frank Martin’s routine alerted Maik Kotsar that this was different.
    South Carolina had just shockingly lost to Stetson and, instead of individual player meetings, USC’s coach just came out and announced himself to all of the Gamecocks.

“Frank in practice, sometimes he’ll come up to you individually and says that you need to be better in some aspects or do something differently,” said Kotsar, a four-year starter. “But the message to the team as a whole was pretty much the same: We got to be more mature, we gotta be better, gotta be ready for the game.”

Carolina (8-5) hosts Florida (9-4, 1-0 SEC) on Tuesday night in its conference opener. What happens is anyone’s guess. The Gamecocks could channel their effort from that upset of No. 9 Virginia on Dec. 22 and compete against a league favorite — or they could be flat again, as seen on Dec. 30 against Hatters, and continue uninspired play since Christmas.

Avoiding the latter is what Martin tried to hammer home over the last week. Game No. 248 in Martin’s South Carolina career left the coach as down as he’s ever been.
    Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...asketball/article238995713.html#storylink=cpy

13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    The header on this topic says our game is on ESPN2.
    But google and my Dish channel guide at home says ESPNU.

Here's a cut and paste from Google...(Actually says ESPU.)

NCAA men's basketball · today, 7:00 PM
    [​IMG]
    Florida Gators
    (9 - 4)
    at
    [​IMG]
    South Carolina Gamecocks
    (8 - 5)

Watch on: ESPU

14. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    ESPU? Was that an X-files episode involving a psychic with a bad case of body odor?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I sure hope so - I'm counting on him to get me up in the standings.

16. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    According to YTTV, it's on ESPNU.

17. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Hope our guys will be ready for the thug-fest mugging they'll be getting tonight. Maybe the FSU game prepared them for it, but the freshmen are going to be in for a bit of a shocker. Any chance the refs help us out? Not holding my breath on that one. Just hope it doesn't get too ugly and we can scrap out a win.

18. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    It is going to be tough to get the W, but at least we won't be 0-2 thanks to our ridiculous comeback. I think we can win, but we have to stay out of foul trouble down low. We lose Blackshear and Payne to less minutes and it will be a long night for our beloved Gators.

19. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Seems like Kotsar has been there for 15 years. Won't be sad to see him go

20. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

Thanks, that's the 2nd time I've seen it listed wrong.