Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Florida at Wake Forest 11/29 7:15 ESPNU

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Nov 29, 2023.

1. goldenerababy

goldenerababy Junior

Nov 23, 2023
    Officiating aside, we should’ve never allowed that offense to score as much as they did. I was looking for Golden to go zone at some point with the way we had no answer man to man on their two primary offensive players. It was a no brainer to go zone yet we never did. We also showed no press the entire night. Very puzzling to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. goldenerababy

goldenerababy Junior

Nov 23, 2023
    It was the worst called half of basketball I’ve ever seen and I’ve been watching since 1995.

Did we also stink, of course. Aside from Kugel and Samuel, really no one played well. If we’re to have any success, either Clayton or Pullin need to have a good game, but both had bad games. And at this point our bench production is just awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Feb 16 starting is great for most SEC teams. Not so much for the poor bastard teams up north. I would prefer the baseball season start end of March and the CWS in August, so that we may have the big 3 sports with minimal gaps between seasons. JMHO

4. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Missing Micah is hurting us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    So I take it that we didn't draw the same refs we had in the Pitt game.

6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    @GratefulGator - this was sarcasm… mocking the horrible officiating.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Unlike your boy, Mike White, Todd Golden is always in the ears of the officials. Do you even bother to watch the games?

Milquetoast Mike White avoided the officials as if they had the 'Rona.

8. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    yes… I’ve watched em all.
    I think he should’ve gotten a tech tonite. There were more than a few egregious calls in which he would’ve been very justified in losing his cool, and being more than “in their ear”.

but that’s not really a big thing for me. . . More just a comment. The officiating was awful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Changed my hyperextended overreaction and rating to reflect the sarcasm aka was trying to communicate.

10. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Would've been awesome if he threw a chair across the floor :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I’d have preferred him to have thrown Ted Valentine across the floor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GratefulGator

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Playing against these tough teams will pay dividends for us later in the season. Gotta be more physical down low when Micah returns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. canagator

canagator Junior

Jan 1, 2020
    Stoney Creek Ontario
    I only watched the first half and came back expecting we probably won the game but wouldn't have been completely shocked if we lost a close one to the home team, it seems I missed an ugly half all round!

14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I've been a Gator fan for 6 decades, but you cannot blame this loss on the officials. It's just blind bias, IMO. We were outplayed by an inferior team. Blaming officials for losing is for losers. Baylor shot 61.5% in the 2nd half. That's awful defense from Florida and you just can't win games when allowing your opponents to shoot that well. Baylor shot 55% in the 2nd half against us. No excuses. You aren't going to get 50-50 calls on the road and simply have to find a way to fight through adversity and win. We didn't do it the last 2 games and blaming the refs isn't going to make this team better. They have to suck it up and get tough, make the plays when they have to and overcome adversity. Otherwise they're going to be another losing team whining about why it wasn't their fault.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Not early like he needed to. Gotta see/feel that flow on how things are going. Refs were off base pretty early and were consistently off. He waited too long.

16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Will not blame this on officials.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Upon further review...

This game was, again, a teachable moment. It sort of reminded me of the UVa game in that they played a very disciplined offensive team. Wake's defense wasn't nearly as good but still, they were at home and they had some home cooking. Not that it changed the outcome, but the refs liked certain fouls and not others. It is what it is.

This game needed better half-court offense awareness. Pullin decided to be more Clayton than Pullin. That is NOT his game. I think my angst for a baffled and pressing Kugel is officially over. Good for him and hopefully for us going forward. Richard is a true Swiss Army knife. He just needs a bit more offensive horsepower.

Aberdeen is, well, a Lane type player until further notice. He is a pick-and-roll player when it is in his hands and a drive-to-the-basket player when it comes to him. After that...:oops: I sincerely hope that this is a sign that the team is WAY better with Micah in the middle taking time away from the freshmen and that the half court offense - and team defense - will be greatly improved. And maybe even Mr. Consonants can add some inside moxie down the stretch. That would be nice.

This was not a "quality loss" like Baylor and UVa. This was a "something is less-than-ideal" kind of game. But as I said, it WAS a teachable one. Hope it pays dividends beginning in January.

It is still a fun team to watch, and that is a GOOD thing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  18. g8tr80

g8tr80 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Will it? We’ll see.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Next day, and I’m still pissed off we lost last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. goldenerababy

goldenerababy Junior

Nov 23, 2023
    Sorry to break your balls and I agree we didn’t play well enough to beat most teams last night. Basketball has a lot to do with the way the officials are calling the game. Against Pitt that crew wouldn’t have called a single foul on us in the 2nd half and we would’ve cruised. If you took last night’s crew to the Pitt game we lose that one. So it’s very important to have a crew who isn’t just calling the game to please the crowd, or worse they’re making some profit off the result.