Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Florida at Mississippi State Starkville, MS Jan 16 (Sat) 4 PM ESPN 2

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 13, 2021.

1. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    Mike White has definitely damaged the basketball program's reputation that Billy Donovan had established at the end of his tenure. Such a shame.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just because someone doesn't start a whole new thread after a loss to complain about losing, doesn't mean that person doesn't care.

It's just that their threshold of enduing a loss by their team is much higher.

I call it fortitude.

Talk forums serve several purpose and venting is one of them. But those who feel they need to start a whole new thread - just because we lost - are seriously exhibiting the highest form of butt hurt imaginable.

I'm not calling anyone here butt hurt because that is against forum policy. I'm talking about fans of other schools - you know.....the ones we make fun of.

FSU....Tennessee....Bama......Georgia.....LSU......Kentucky.......Miami.......Clemson......Ohio State......Michigan.......Oklahoma........

We're much better than that here!!!
    :ninja:

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I’m exhausted, definition of insanity.... I am incapable of comprehending our advanced offensive set and scheme :) and my liver is mad.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Punish it for being mad.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Every coach is dealing with COVID. Even the coaches of the unranked teams that beat us. As far as Lewis and Johnson are concerned, we have once again, played unranked teams without them and have lost three with Johnson and now two without Lewis. We had to constantly deal with Donovan possibly bolting to the NBA or another premier program. There is no one looking to bring White on as head coach anywhere. That should tell us something.

I think Anthony Grant is available. Let's start the process before we lose out on a competitive winner.

6. flgatormike

flgatormike Freshman

Dec 8, 2008
    Just looked up the recruiting rankings under White and, besides 2019, it is nothing to write home about. In most of these years, FSU and Miami are both ahead of us. I would expect more from a program like UF.

2015 - 17 (not sure if this was Donovan?)
    2016 - 69
    2017 - 20
    2018 - 19
    2019 - 8
    2020 - 39
    2021 - 70

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    And they don't let it ruin their day because they have more important things to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    ok- well again, among all the gripes about our offense, complaining about a play that yields a wide open three for Mann.... seems very, very strange.
    But ok. We just won’t agree on this. Or at least we won’t admit to agreeing.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Ok, so what are your expectations for where Florida should be in basketball recruiting rankings?

10. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    One coaching issue I have is that he knew Scottie wasn't going to play in this game but it seems like he didn't have a plan in case Duruji got in foul trouble which was a likely scenario. He put Samson out there but you could tell he didn't know where to line up on offense and then he went small with three guards and got pounded inside. Payne seems to be a non entity at this point. He again is struggling to find the right combination of players to have on the floor at various times which leads me to believe he is not prepared enough for a situation like Duruji picking up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes. If it wasn't for Appleby just breaking down guys and making plays we basically couldn't get anything going with our half court sets.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    All I know is that I was excited about a new style of play that we were promised for this season and that turned out to be fool’s gold. Now 10 games in and I can see nothing has changed with our offense from the last couple seasons. I’ve gotten to the point that I don’t care if I watch another game while White is coaching and I used to be a fanatic about Florida basketball. Now all I can hope for is the day that we hire White’s replacement. Damn shame.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    And recruiting seems to be going nowhere. While Billy D wasn't the best recruiter, he kept Florida on many prospects minds back in the day. The more losing that occurs during the Mike White era, the less appealing we look to future recruits. Nevermind even being able to lure in top prospects.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We had two last year every game and lost 12. My point is this staff has a penchant for getting top 100 players out of HS to under perform. Billy could take 3 stars and turn them into ballers. This guy lacks that ability. In fact it is quite the opposite. He takes top talent and causes i
    A good chess player knows 5 moves before or maybe more that his position is untenable, and he tips over his king. White should take heed to such acknowledgement. If he thinks that we - Florida fans are going to watch him take us into complete obscurity while he pockets 3.1 million a year barely getting us over .500 with a bevy of top 100 players and quality transfers, he is living in a dream world.

14. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    The recruit we have for next year was recently awarded his 5th star. More than likely White will continue to bring in transfers as that seems to be an approach that is working pretty well for us right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    There is a marked difference between patient fans and fans that don’t give a crap anymore. Most fans are now apathetic about UF basketball. All the goodwill built up by Donovan is being squandered.

Playing like this sucks the life out of a fanbase. Think back to the Muschamp football years. Even when winning, he sucked the life out of the fanbase. But fans cared enough to post after every loss about every mistake made by the coaching staff. White has the fans in an apathetic coma, where his coaching screwups and issues with players is so expected to happen that it doesn’t surprise fans anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    OT

17. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Florida has now lost 3 in a row to Mississippi State for the first time in 38 years. Another achievement for White.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Thanks for sharing. That trend over the last 2 yrs is not good. Not the direction you want the program going in. I get White is going to hit the portal more, but imo you need a mix of both.

19. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl