Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: Fla vs Arkansas, Tues, 02/18, 7 PM, ESPNU + UF Recap

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 16, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UF swarms Jones in halfcourt defense
    Alligator Joseph Salvador, Sports Writer
    Whether he went off the dribble, came off a screen, drove to the basket or passed half court, he was met with white jerseys and suffocating defense.

The Arkansas Razorbacks entered the O’Connell Center on Tuesday with a 16-9 record and a less-than-ideal 4-8 standing in the SEC. They left with a loss thanks in large to the attention that their star player, Mason Jones, attracted from the UF defense. Jones, a 6-foot-5, 200-pound guard, has proven to give opposing defenses nightmares. He entered the matchup averaging an SEC-best 20.8 points per game and leading the conference in free throws attempted and made (172 of 208).

Besides commenting that Jones lives at the free throw line, UF head coach Mike White knew he was an all-around offensive juggernaut and cited some things that stuck out on film.
    “The way that he shoots it off the catch, the way that he can create his own shot,” White said earlier this week. “His strength, his length, his ability to separate, to get his own jump shot and also get to the rim.”
    Jones’ dexterity is on par with his impressive offensive repertoire as well.

2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    removed?

Must have been overly critical- though I don’t know where that line is drawn.

well, in retrospect - your sarcastic post was prophetic. Great win by coaches and players. I thought the kids showed a lot of guts thru some real adversity. I’m guessing you’d agree.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Not in our house you don't......

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    The refs should be reprimanded for giving us a T in that situation.
    That is beyond ridiculous. They got 2 FTS and the ball.

The opposing player joining a team huddle should get a warning, IMO. If not a T.
    And the flop certainly should have been a T.

I still can't believe they fell for it. The player was clearly clowning around.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. wildcat76

wildcat76 Freshman

Feb 13, 2020
    In the age of instant replay there's really no excuse.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    At least it was given a bit of exposure post-game.

SEC Network was right on it - along with Lewis's gymnastic moves! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    It was pure bullcrap

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Not to mention career 30% free-throw shooters going 8 for 8 from the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Rules be damned! Tee 'im up!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

They fell for the famous "Udonis Flop" plenty of times when other teams' players would do the same thing without Haslem even touching them.

Other teams were coaching their players to draw fouls on Haslem by just falling out as soon as he went past, and I can't count the times Haslem had two fouls in the first 5 or 6 minutes of a game when he was here.

UK did it to him one year in our house and Haslem had three fouls in the first 8 minutes. I think we still went on to upset them when we bombed them in the second half with a rain of three's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Alligator sports Joseph Salvador, Sports Writer
    Whether he went off the dribble, came off a screen, drove to the basket or passed half court, he was met with white jerseys and suffocating defense. The Arkansas Razorbacks entered the O’Connell Center on Tuesday with a 16-9 record and a less-than-ideal 4-8 standing in the SEC. They left with a loss thanks in large to the attention that their star player, Mason Jones, attracted from the UF defense.

Jones, a 6-foot-5, 200-pound guard, has proven to give opposing defenses nightmares. He entered the matchup averaging an SEC-best 20.8 points per game and leading the conference in free throws attempted and made (172 of 208).

Besides commenting that Jones lives at the free throw line, UF head coach Mike White knew he was an all-around offensive juggernaut and cited some things that stuck out on film. “The way that he shoots it off the catch, the way that he can create his own shot,” White said earlier this week. “His strength, his length, his ability to separate, to get his own jump shot and also get to the rim.”
    Jones’ dexterity is on par with his impressive offensive repertoire as well.

Arkansas was also without its second-leading scorer guard Isaiah Joe, who is still recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery on his right knee, and the Gators knew the Hogs would depend heavily on Jones.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I happened to watch ESPN SportsCenter the morning after and it was a highlighted play titled "Acting 101".

They laughed at the refs.

I really wish they had mentioned Doug Shows by name. He went to the review the play.

Added in edit: I have seen the way that Scottie can get up off the floor once before on TV and then in person on Tuesday night. Impressive! When I saw that they were going to do a replay on the O'Dome big screen I made sure that my wife saw it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1