Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

OGT: Fla @ Ole Miss, Sat, 02/08, 2 PM, ESPN2

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 7, 2020.

1. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Muschamp got football players drafted from UF? Oh my goodness! He's a beast! Unreal, how did he ever accomplish that feat. Unreal player development. I mean FIU, FAU, UCF and USF all do that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    NCAA tournaments have a ton of randomness. One solid run that needed a miracle doesn’t add anything to Whites resume.

His resume is about to be NIT, 4, 6, 10, NIT

That is awful and should get most P5 coaches fired, and definitely a program that should be top 20

3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I'm not defending White. It's just disingenuous to say he hasn't come close to winning anything.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    Will we even make the NIT?

5. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Had to watch he game late and got totally fooled by YoutubeTV. The recording showed 2 hours and 29 minutes. Throughout the entire 2nd half I fully expected us to come back and take it to at least one OT for that length of recording. Pretty disappointed when it didn't happen. Horrible loss

6. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    Is White privilege ok to use in this case? What has Mike White shown to make anyone believe he will be a great coach one day? His best season was a mostly senior laden team that Billy recruited. The other two contributing players were both transfers, Leon and Canyon.

7. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    As long as we have a winning record, yes.

8. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    we sure as hell don’t want anyone that’s not a proven coach! Just because they can play has no bearing on coaching/recruiting/running a program.

Ben Howland?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  9. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    Mike Miller come on down! One year of assisting under Penny Hardaway should be enough to surpass MW coaching.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007

Honestly I’d be okay with that

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    That's why I said he may. I'm not sure what the future holds for the guy if UF was to move on from him. Maybe he hires good assistants down the road. I'm not sure.

12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Missouri beat Arkansas. league is crazy this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I think Arky is going to end up missing the tourney this year. Seem to be having a collapse without Joe.

14. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    At this point, who are we going to beat with confidence?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I agree, though our record is probably worse than it should be even with just those 4 players - even if we had a bunch of role players behind them (i.e. just a solid 8 man rotation behind that nucleus of 4 "veterans", including a big that far exceeded what we've had in recent years in terms of scoring in the paint). That is a good, balanced lineup. Having a "stud" player out of the freshmen to throw in as a starter was why some had us top 6 in the pre-season.

That being said, obviously our super freshmen have been far short of super. Really not even as good as last year's freshmen were IMO. I think Payne is the only one that has probably played above where most had him, Lewis hasn't been a disaster but obviously his lack of offense is something missing for this team. Based on how he was evaluated, it's not shocking, I knew he wasn't going to be 45% 3 point shooter or anything, but I'm surprised by the almost total lack of offense even off the drive.

Nobody else's contributions are really worth even evaluating yet. Mann I guess has shown some sparks. I seem to be the only one that is getting less and less impressed with Glover, that dude is a turnover machine. Just hard to see where this thing is going. Does Lewis still go NBA? Does Mann stick it out or transfer? Nembhard? The frustrating thing is we are sort of rebuilding again next year,though maybe those two transfers end up making a bigger impact than the freshmen did this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You don't get it. It's not that he did get people drafted, it's that White has gotten no one drafted ZERO. Hamilton over the same time period and with not one Final Four to show for his entire tenure which dates back to the Donovan days, has put 5 people in the NBA in the same time Michael White has whiffed. There are many more aspects to coach evaluation than obvious ineptitude in Xs and Os. Our brand has been damaged during this tenure because we have no one getting drafted, no high school recruits looking at our school as even a possible pipeline to the pros, and no fresh NBAers to come back and inspire our players. It is a colossal disaster. Something has to be done soon or it will be obscurity city for our basketball program. In an age of heightened media and massive communication outlets and sources, having a program that plays on a championship wood floor with banners galore in the rafters that under performs year in and year out and refuses to make changes, is a recipe for the doldrums. It is an indication to others that no one really cares about the outlook for the program.

Knick fans are begging the Dolans to sell the Knicks who have won nothing since 1973- 47 years. He is the owner. There is nothing the fans can do about it. The athletic director and president of the university can do something about a program that is clearly headed in the wrong direction. One more year to turn it around which means a deep run into the tournament or its sayonara.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Yes, I get it. I understand what it reflects. I don't think he's the man for the job here. I've made that pretty clear recently. You make it seem like i've said sign him to a 5 year extension.

18. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Are you referring to when Nemhard stepped on another players foot, twisted his own ankle, fell and lost control of the ball? There was no foul. Certainly nothing flagrant. Or were you referring to another play? I ask because there are plenty of things to complain about coaching wise but if you are referring to the twisted ankle play...that’s a reach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    If any gator player, on the road, ran up to a player with the ball, would be called a foul. The defender moving, throwing out his knee, body bumped, all this tripped Nembhard. Whether AN stepped on the foot has nothing to do with the body bump and throwing out the knee. Relook the play, he could have hurt Nembhard even worse, an ankle sprain AN was lucky.

20. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well, I’ll grant you that a lot of contact occurred but players bump and run into each other all the time without calls being made. I don’t think either player was getting an advantage or established their ground and were both moving so wouldn’t have called a foul. But...won’t disagree one could have been called. But I will disagree that there was any chance of a flagrant foul.

however, I take umbrage that you asked me to rewatch that play. Rewatching any of that game would be torture.

• Funny Funny x 1