Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: Fla @ Ole Miss, Sat, 02/08, 2 PM, ESPN2

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 7, 2020.

1. tmape01

tmape01 Junior

Apr 18, 2007
    maybe you haven’t looked at the last 6 games on the schedule

unless sarcasm?

2. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I don't think Billy was under appreciated. And his salary was competitive with the top 10 coaches year in and year out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I think Billy was definitely underappreciated by our fanbase.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I don't agree that Nembhard has checked out. He is a team player and committed to his coach. I think he fundamentally disagrees with the way this team is coached.

• Like Like x 2
  5. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Nah, I have. I think people forgot how bad we were under Muschamp. White's not doing a decent job but very few have been Muschamp level bad at the Big 3 schools in Florida.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Disappointing loss to say the least. Puts us on the bubble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We won the SEC East under Muschamp. We have not even competed for anything under Michael White. I think you need to re-evaluate your assessment. I am in no way a Muschamp fan, I am so thankful that he is gone, but one season he did get us to 11-2. White has not even come close to anything near that with his recruits or Donovan's recruits.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    What year did we win the East under Champ? He's never done that as a HC.

We watched UGA and Missouri run the East under Muschamp.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Not that it changes you point but White made the elite 8. That counts as"competed for anything"

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

They were tied with UGA for the best record in the SEC East. They lost to Georgia by one touchdown or would have been undefeated. Mike White has not even come close to winning the SEC season championship or the tournament championship.

11. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    They don’t bust you for given benefits to players or their families, but we sit back holier than thou.
    Well the agents, handlers, aau coaches, shoe company representatives make sure that the schools that pay get rewarded. Kansas, Arizona, Auburn, LSU, Duke, NC, Louisville, Oregon, USCw,
    Alabama, the list goes on....
    We need a coach that knows how to play the game and an AD that has ties to the NCAA. This is why LSU is rolling in all sports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    But they lost right? They came in 2nd place in the East? They didn't win the East, like you claimed. No meaningful games under Muschamp.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    When Nembhard got taken down and our coach didn’t complain to the officials, I knew that we were handing Ole Miss an easy win. A hard foul bordering on flagrant, the officials give the ball to Ole Miss. I guess he was helping Ole Miss because they were struggling. He’s got that talent to help uplift sagging programs. I know a lot of former Florida coaches are going, “what’s up with the Florida program”.
    Coaches that are already passed are stirring also, turning over and over in their caskets. We don’t need small university up and comers, we need retired pro players like Chandler Parsons, Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller or even Teddy Dupay, to bring competing and winning back to Florida. But no, we will give him another year to see up and down basketball, then we will go out and hire another unqualified coach to right the ship. Ever been to Vegas?
    We are rolling the dice hoping for a lucky seven, but getting snake eyes!

14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Fair point, but most if not all of the key guys on that team were Donovan recruits, who learned the Donovan system and appreciation for competing. The teams MW has had have an uncanny knack of showing up one day and disappearing for two. And when they disappear they seem resigned to do so. No slamming the ball down. No towels being tossed. No drinks being rejected. No attitude at all!!!! Just take the L and move to the next game. That works fine when you double bogey an easy par 4. But in basketball there is little success without expressed passion.

15. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I was incorrect about the SEC East Championship. If you look at most cites it says tied for 1st because technically they were. Georgia and Florida had identical records in the SEC. Show me where that has occurred under Mike White's regime. In fact don't bother because you can't. Which illustrates my point. Muschamp as bad as he was, still had a better season in his futility than MW has. End of story.

16. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Tying for first in the East is literally pointless. We didn't win the SEC East or SEC under Muschamp much like we haven't in hoops under CMW.

Both have done poor jobs. I think Muschamp was much worse but I really don't care. He's gone and at this rate, CMW will soon be too.

17. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Fair assessment, but we have to give him another year because he is bringing in a different dynamic of players that better suits the SEC. Blacksheer is learning what it takes to compete game in and game out, and Johnson, Locke and Nembhard are very acquainted. They will not take losing easy next year as juniors if they come back, and even if Nembhard doesn't or Johnson leaves (don't think it is realistic that Locke will), I see the influx of Duraji and Appleby more than compensating for their loss. Duraji will be one of two 6'7" (Ruzhentsev) swingmen that will give us a completely different look than this year's team. We will have more length at the 3 and a point guard with a scoring mentality.

Payne will bulk up and Jitoboh will split time at Center. I think you have to face reality and put Osifo at the power just to stop the onslaught of porous paint defense which has been the Waterloo of Florida basketball. Duraji and Lewis will have to compete for the 3, if Johnson stays he should move to the 2 and Appleby, Mann, Locke and Glover can compete for the point.

Ideally the best 5 on the floor would be Payne, Lewis, Johnson, Mann and maybe Duraji. But that all depends on the development of Mann, and whether he and Lewis stay. Nothing in either of their performances would warrant their declaring, but a transfer is far from out of the realm of possibility given MW's track record in keeping talent at the program.

18. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I agree man...we are all upset...but give me Muschamp to coach basketball befire Bruce freaking Pearl.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

At least Muschamp has got 14 people drafted which kept our recruiting ranking high. MW is 0-4 in getting players into the league and barring some unforseen uptick in production, will be 0-5. Recruits are seeing 5 stars come here and literally struggle. Two of the ones this year have only started a few games. And its not like the people playing ahead of them are lights out scorers or defenders. We whiffed on 5 McDonald All Americans who came out of Florida High Schools or AAU programs this year 0-5!

20. Louisville_Gator

Louisville_Gator Sophomore

Mar 15, 2012
    I feel like this team not meeting expectations is 100% on over evaluating our freshman's impact and talent. True 5 star talents should thrive no matter where they land and have SOME sort of offensive skill set, especially top 10 talent. Our 5 star frosh PG has played worse than our 5'8 unranked 2 star PG for much of the year. We needed these 2 players to be legit, and they aren't as Freshman (not saying they won't be next year).

Nembhard, Johnson, Blackshear, and Locke have kinda been what I thought they'd be. We needed our frosh to be studs, and they aren't.

• Agree Agree x 1