Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: Fla @ Missouri, Sat, 01/11, 8:30 PM, SEC Network

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 10, 2020.

1. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We have had massive exits under Mike White of coachable players who could win with the right program. I believe that MW and staff are better than average recruiters, horrible developers, and even worse practice and preparation and game strategist coaches. To shoot 1-10 over an 8 minute span of the start of the game, is in a a word amateurish. You figure every practice is at least 2 hours. This team had at least 3 solid practices since it's win over South Carolina. You mean to tell me that watching video of Missouri (6 losses) that the staff could not discern ONE weakness in Missouri's defense that could be exploited? NOT ONE? What are they doing during those two hours? Taking shots (apparently not)? The came out like they hadn't played in weeks!!!! Running plays? Every possession was let's force the pass into the paint or cross court - no crispness no precision no evidence of repetitive execution in practice. This is simply a poorly coached team, and if this were happening in any other Gator sport save Women's Basketball, the coach would be on the proverbial hot seat. If this were football, he'd be gone!!!!!!

2. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Donovan's teams did not go through extensive droughts and despite easier OOC schedules which allowed younger players to develop confidence and to gel as a team, when it came time to games we had to win and were expected to win, we usually did. Cannot remember a Donovan team with 12 minutes left in the first half at 5 points against an unranked opponent that was winless in the SEC.

Let's face it, we have been jettisoned into the pre Donovan era.. Almost all of the accomplishments that Billy achieved in building us into a powerhouse program have been erased in the 5 year tenure of Mike White. It has been a colossal disaster so far, and I see nothing that tells me the light is going to suddenly come on for our program. I pray that I am wrong. I pray that miraculously the staff and players will "get it". But I suspect that this program has become far too accustomed to mediocrity. The fact that we have had not one player drafted in the NBA in Mike White's tenure is proof positive of his inability to develop talent whether 3 star or 5 star. They come here and they stagnate. It is even arguable that the pre season SEC player of the year has taken a step back under this coaching staff. They just do not know how to consistently get the best our of their players, and for the ungodly salaries that these young coaches are making, it is inexcusable. I could find a Gouchos tournament coach in the Bronx who would have this team clicking on all cylinders every game for 25% of the salary that MW is getting paid.

Not one of the teams we have lost to save Connecticut, has even made a Final Four in 20 years. How does that happen? Why are teams with no recent or no history of tournament success out recruiting us, and worse out playing us even with lesser talent year in and year out under Mike White? The answer is inescapable. We have to exercise common sense and not emotion. Mike White is a feel good well spoken individual who has ties to one of the biggest basketball programs in America. That and a metrocard will get you on the A train in Manhattan.

How long are we going to watch our championships in the rear view mirror like Houston and Arkansas, who were never able to recapture the moment, because they refused to bring in the type of coaching staffs that are designed to win championships with the right personnel. Pay Rick Pitino 10 million a year and end this misery masquerading as a coaching staff.

3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

The problem is when there is so little movement on the team on offense, you have static and congestion. Opposing teams are getting to Blacksheer, Lewis and Payne because our offense is not crisp. We struggle to move the ball. Our passes are lobs and not rockets. We dribble way too much. We have NO FAST BREAK scoring. We play basketball like an old Indiana Hoosier team in a modern age of ASAP Rocky

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Remember this is Mizzou w out Tillmon. He worried me but nobody else.

5. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You are absolutely right. It was an incredibly impressive shooting performance by Missouri. The catalyst of the performance was our inability to get off to a good start. Given the fouls that Missouri was willing to commit to disrupt our offense, We should have abandoned the outside shooting early on (with the exception of Locke) and taken every to the paint. We have to run more screens and set plays to create mismatches. But then I am not getting millions a year to coach this team.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

That is an excellent point. They were down a key player. That only compounds the magnitude of this.

7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I wasn’t upset with too many of our shots, but rather than we didn’t make em.
    I thought the big good of the game were the lineup rotations.

• Like Like x 1
  8. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Which continue to plague the White era and are another illustration he's not a good in game coach and has no feel for coaching during games

9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    This teams weakness is Mike White, both as a talent evaluator/recruiter and as a game day coach. His first class was the one Billy recruited, so you throw that one out. Look at his next few classes. No one is still on the team. These should be his juniors and seniors now. Had to rely on transfers to supplement his program. The kids he recruited did not seem to fit his style of play either. When kids play declines the longer they are in your program, you know something is wrong. Strange to see regression in so many players.

10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Joh
    Teams have letdowns emotionally. It's the coach's job to do a little screaming once it shows up in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Ok. In a vacuum, that is a fine opinion.
    The issue I have is not your opinion, but rather lack of one.
    You have said both publicly and privately that White is fantastic, horrendous, SEC COY, a great coach but poor recruiter, a great recruiter, but poor coach, “a joy to watch”, a joke, should be fired, great for the program etc. etc.

There are plenty of posters here who have a very critical opinion of white, such as @33hoop. I may not always agree, but I respect the opinion .... because it’s real. It’s not a moving target.

Your posts have become comical. They are like the ramblings of a mad man.

I respect you as a passionate fan.... I honestly do, but your posting patterns are equal parts odd and predicable.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Schizophrenic posting, no doubt. But it could be a symptom of “schizoid coaching”?

there’s a dissonance between what we see on the court and what we envision this team is capable of being. It’s wreaking havoc on our sensibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    This goes back to Donovan. Lol.

14. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Ahhh. Yes....I remember. LOL.

I remember a certain poster (almost) wanted to run off BD!

15. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

If missed shots over extended time were isolated to this game, I would say bound to happen eventually!

When it happens as frequently as it does with our program it is systemic and therefore indicative of a much more profound problem

16. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Have to chalk this up as over confident and looking forward to Auburn, Baylor and LSU. Ugh, we have games with Missouri and Mississippi! Young kids in the age of ME/Social Media. As a fan disappointed, but always a Gator. These things will pass, another lesson for this team!

17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    For the last several years, it's like every single time this team can feel good about where they are... it lays an egg against a mediocre team. Almost without fail that happens.

Just hope we don't turn 1 bad game into 2 or 3. Because there have also been times where this program has seemed circling down the drain of the NIT or falling to .500 level, but to White's credit they have bounced back from those situations... but only just barely (last year was 20-16). For the most part, if we trade 2 wins for 1 loss all year, we are OK, but this is the weak part of the SEC schedule so 4-0 should have been very possible. Need that bounce back against Ole Miss at home, then hopefully we can "upset" Auburn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yep, good points. All that really matters now is Ole Miss. any kind of win is a big one.

19. gators1992

gators1992 Premium Member

Nov 10, 2013
    I don't get how good players want to play for this staff who have zero track record on developing players for the next level...feel bad for the players especially a couple (Mann, Lewis and Blackshear) that could have gone to some big time programs/coaches who have that track record

20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Wether right or wrong, White has a strong reputation as a good, young coach.
    Heck, it wasn’t long ago this forum was fearing and imminent departure for Duke.
    That said, I do think this is a very important year for White. He has been negatively recruited as it relates to putting kids on the league and coaching elite talent. If this roster flops, it could have some very damaging and last effects.

• Agree Agree x 1