Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: Fla @ Missouri, Sat, 01/11, 8:30 PM, SEC Network

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 10, 2020.

1. traveling gator

traveling gator Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    Nothing has changed in the last few years. The team is so up and down. At this point I don’t blame the players. MW is no BD.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yeah, felt like we were slowly chipping away at the lead, and the foul situation would work on our favor. Then boom, 10-0 run and it was game over.

This offense just doesn’t work if Nembhard is taken out. Mann had a nice stretch but I think that was a bit of fools gold. I’m happy for him that he got involved, but it didn’t seem sustainable (one of his makes was a step back just inside the 2 - it went in but that is not a good shot).

Little troubling that our D has now also been poor in 2 out of 3 SEC games. Maybe we've spent so much time trying to fix bad offense, that the D is now suffering? Just seemed like intensity was very low today.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Not a very good team. Just not helping and playing well together. Not a good fit for each other. No shooting and no D tonight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    At least our players will have the option to have a snowball fight after the game if they so choose.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    At the start of the year I said Coach White can't have another mediocre regular season and not get some side-eye action with the roster he has assembled here in year 5. Hopefully, this never happens again for the remainder of the season and the team gels and finishes strong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

``
    The entire purpose of a set play is to expose weaknesses in the defense that you have discovered from film. MW is a rank amateur at doing this.

7. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Locke shoots 4-6 from 3 and only gets 6 shots the entire game. How does a Division 1 coach allow this to happen?

8. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

That is even more pathetic if what we were watching were set plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You are right, but we can't stop them from scoring because they have so many height advantages which has historically been the problem with MW teams.

10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Fair enough. But if you told me before the game that we would score 75… Id tell you that we won by 10 to 15.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

This team comes out tight almost every single game. And teams have caught on to this fact. Their players come out loose and relax and enjoy the game, and our players play like stock traders on NASDAQ in a bear market at the start of a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    All we need is concussions from rocks inside snowballs

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Which is weird because Mike White seems to like bigger guards, and THIS year we actually have some tremendous size and length up front. On paper, this team should be able to match up with anyone in the size department.

That's on paper though, in reality there are other things like explosiveness and athleticism that come into play on the boards and in the paint (as well as just having good instincts). We have a couple of small forward types that have that athletism in spades (Lewis and Johnson), and we have some other guys that either don't, or have some potential but the true freshmen do show they still have to put in work on the weight-room. Basically all of the freshmen need more strength (except maybe Jitoboh, his priority should probably be losing 20 and gaining some mobility).

14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Never thought I'd be envious of the sweaty one: Bruce Pearl. o_O
    But post-Pearl, the Vols also grabbed the coach we SHOULD HAVE.
    We need a seasoned coach on the bench if only to co-pilot with CMW.
    Not sure he has the desire or determination to lead us to the Promise Land.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Yeah, it's going to take him at least 4 more games to get to his 100th win than it took Donovan. (although on the other hand, I think we were playing easier OOC schedules when Donovan first started)

I couldn't predict when Donovan's teams would lay an egg either. But, they did, as pretty much every basketball team does. I can still recall some posters writing the epitaph for the 06/07 repeat national championship team when they lost some SEC games to inferior (obviously :rolleyes:) opponents.

To me, the most consistent Gator teams, going back to Sloan's 2nd time here, seemed to be Lon Kruger's teams. Not as good as Donovan's teams, but I thought more consistent (and pretty good).

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Does our paint scoring tend to get understated by Blackshear drawing fouls so often in the paint? He hit 10 FTs tonight that may have all been off plays in the paint. Seems like Lewis' 8 FTs were mostly for plays in the paint as well.

They were better in the paint I'm sure, but the 40-14 number seems a little more one-sided than my perception of the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    What is going on with our D?

CMW alluded to a blasé shoot around, so I suspect effort, energy, drive, hustle is a (one) culprit. Mixing up D’s another?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Didn’t you say you were leaving the game thread pages ago?

19. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    So you are saying they will have a better record and better season?

20. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

The teams that give us the most trouble it seems are teams that have 2-3 guys that are 6'7" to 6'8" who play like guards. Duraji arguably is the only one on the team who falls into that category. It takes a player like that to defend a player like that because either you are going to have a big man who is too slow to guard such a player, or you are going to have a smaller player who gets abused time and time again, as has been the case under the MW era. The strategy to beat us is put you most athletic and versatile players on the floor and let them just pound the paint for easy layups. Once a team sees how easily and frequently they can score against you, it automatically opens up their outside shooting because there simply is no pressure because if they miss they know they can always get their shot in the paint. This game was a textbook example of that philosophy.