Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

OGT: Fla Gators vs #1 ranked Baylor Bears, Saturday, 01/25, 8:00 PM, ESPN

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 23, 2020.

1. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Rupp Rafters can't hold a candle to this forum.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    We didn’t just lose, we got schooled. This isn’t the first time we have looked like a dumpster fire this season. And we haven’t played all number one ranked teams. Missouri anyone? Remember that jewel of a game?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    we shot 44 percent overall tonight.

4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Did we look like we belonged? Our guys were playing scared.

5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was making the point that the loss was about far more than a few missed shots. There are deeper systemic problems with this team, and especially the staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Maybe surprise them from time to time and press full court. Could translate into easy buckets

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    We did shoot well early in the game but you just knew the drought was coming in the back of your mind

8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Unfortunately you are correct. Maybe to the players it’s not that important. I’d like to think not how they think but sometimes I wonder

9. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Maybe we should have no coaches on the sidelines for the next game and let the players do what they want and see how it goes

10. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Well the bright lights were on, Dickie V in the house, the whole nation watching. The comments from the announcers were eye opening;
    Men playing with kids!
    can’t shoot!
    Taking bad shots over and over.
    Wasting FTs
    others but I guess that’s enough.

Man I know Baylor is good, but we self destructed,
    both players and coaches! Hope we beat Vandy at Memorial, I will be there. I hope the guys coming in can shoot next year, we need players that can drive within heavy contact and shoot. Tonight, I don’t know, if this was just Baylor or we just can’t get open and shoot. Good thing tonight is we hit rock bottom, only up from here!

11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I think Johnson, Lewis, Payne, Glover and Mann are very athletic!!! That is basically half our team. The problem is mediocrity has become the standard of our program. There is no sense of concern when losses pile up on this team because being average or run of the mill is acceptable under the Mike White era.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

In order to self destruct you have to be constructed. This team has never been constructed! It has no leadership, it has no go to guy, No one on the team with the exception of Johnson and Locke have their go to shots. They never push the ball when it matters. Even down double digits with 3 minutes left they were running a a half court offense which is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That game wasn't really "rock bottom" because the Gators have been there before this year. We came right out of the gates terribly vs. FSU... at home. Got smoked by Butler (even worse than the score indicated). Lost to a horrible Missouri team. Lost to our annual mid-major. The losses were already piling up.

Obviously taking down a #1 is a challenge. But at home, you want to perform your best and we were just sloppy and undisciplined on offense for most of the game. Thank goodness for a couple of knocked down 3's early or it might have been a shitshow right from the opening tip, like the FSU game was. It basically was after the 10 minute mark or so in the 1st half... 30 minutes of garbage where this team was not offering much of a contest and no rhythm offensively. Baylor was actually quite off in the 2nd half and should have been vulnerable on our home court, but we were so inept we couldn't cut into the lead at all.

If we don't sweep Vandy, NIT comes back into play. This stretch of 6 or 7 games (with Vandy appearing twice on it) should be our opportunity to rack up some wins and get a little breathing room away from .500. If we have more than a couple losses, our tournament hopes might be thrown out the window (as the last 5 games could be fairly brutal).

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

No it just doesn't get us out of that trajectory. We are in a pathway to the NIT right now. 10-8 or 9-9 if we are fortunate, is the best we can hope for with the way Mike White has this team right now. Up and Down up and down, so say we are a little more down and play tougher teams the rest of the way in the conference. That puts us at 5-7 in our final games. That is not going to get us to the dance. The only real quality win we have this year is Auburn, any other big game we've lost.

15. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I actually think it would be a great experience for them. They would not have the pressure, the same national audience, and they'd probably be playing against other underachieving teams or teams that just didn't have the talent to make it to the NCAA. So I think they would do well. It also might be what Mike White needs to understand the level of passion and commitment you have to have to win a championship. So they should definitely go to the NIT. They are not making the NCAA the way they are playing now. They are a colossal disappointment to everyone even the prognosticators are baffled.

16. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You are entitled to your opinion. Our fault has never been lack of talent. Mike White is one of the best recruiters in college basketball. Therein lies his strength, evaluation and finding people under the radar that everyone says "wow I wish I had known". The problem is what you do with the talent. Baylor's coach has been there for 17 years. They have won nothing. The program is happy with that. We on the other hand have had five recruiting classes come through Mike White and have not had one person drafted. This includes transfers. The reason is not lack of talent, it is lack of development and instilling into the heads of young impressionable people what their true capabilities are. In that regard, Mike White falls short. He has had five years to develop someone, one player into a premier NBA talent star, and has failed his entire tenure bigs or guards.

Baylor is doing what they are doing because they have a terrific coach who makes the most out of the talent that they have and instills a belief mind set in them that other powerful coaches instill. Mike White clearly clearly lacks this ability.

It is time to start talking to Anthony Grant who is with lesser resources to bring in top talent, running a top 10 program right now and who knows our system and the Donovan standard.

17. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You really have to wonder what is going on in practice. Through 40 minutes you can recognize maybe 3-4 set plays, beyond that it is helter skelter. Whoever feels like chucking the shot or hogging the dribble does so and move on to the next play. The fact that the coaching staff can't seem to either establish set plays that cater to each players' strengths or run a more up tempo offense or both, begs the question, what are they doing in practice. They certainly are not shooting 3s or front ends of 1 and 1s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We shoot much better when we don't get deep into the clock. I wish I had the time to prove that with statistics, but I don't. Instead we often find Nembhard holding on to the ball dribbling aimlessly or forcing a pass that negates his exceptional skill as a point guard. When you are down double digits with less than 3 minutes on the clock and you are running a half court offense that eats up the majority of the shot clock, there is a fundamental coaching problem!!

19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Why not play like you are down 20 from the very beginning and throughout the game?

20. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We have 12 SEC games left. Given this style of play, intensity and inconsistency we will probably play well enough to win at least 5 of them. The other 7 are huge question marks including the game on the road with Georgia and so I have penciled them in as losses. This team with the exception of the 4 freshmen, is too comfortable with losing. You can see how much losing impacts the freshmen, but the other players it has become business as usual. Johnson might also be an exception. He takes losing pretty hard.