Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

OGT: Fla @ # 24 Butler, Sat, 12/7, Noon, FOX

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Dec 6, 2019.

1. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    So pathetic.

2. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Butler rank-maybe 24

Florida-40 maybe

3. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    Positive: if we shot better from 3(6/26) it would have been much closer.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I went outside with about 15 left to work on the one of the mowers. I take it the rest of the game went the way it was heading ?

5. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Disappointed and confused.
    I thought Whites La T teams played up tempo and averaged 70-80 a game with far less talent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I don't know. I saw a team in Butler that hit their 3s, made their free throws, hit contested mid range jumpers and played great defense. I would take Baldwin over Nembhard and McDermott over Locke right now. Thompson looked really good also. Maybe in two years our players will be better but right now they are not very good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They will be worse. Basically, only one player has really developed into a very good player under White: Chiozza. The number of players that regressed, not just stagnated but actively regressed is much longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I think they had too much turkey.

Wait, what week is this? I got nothing.

9. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Whatever. A to recruit like Mann isn't helping us right now. He may be all world in two or three years, but right now he's not playing as well as any of the top 7 guys on Butler.

10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    We lost 16 games too last year.

And I said we should have taken our chance on a new coach regardless of the class, and if some de-commit, then so be it. That class was the only real reason White got another year, and five years is more than enough.

I mean, id love for him to succeed more than anyone, but he just isn't the right guy.

I agree with the other poster, bring back Billy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Yeah, I'm not seeing Locke or Nembhard playing any better than last year. Johnson seems to have improved a little but disappeared today.

12. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Agree that Butler's players are better right now, but that is attributable to coaching and not talent. Butler has no pros (although maybe I'm selling Baldwin short). The Gators do. Unfortunately, nobody is playing up to potential or playing to their strenghts. That's on the staff.

13. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Offense anyone?

14. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

I (unfortunately) do not think that is likely but it is fun to speculate what Billy would do with this roster.

15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I would say that both, especially Locke, are playing worse. Locke is shooting like 33% and his defense is terrible at this point.

16. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    You asked if I thought we had more talent, not who is playing better. Our team is playing much worse than the sum of its parts. If everyone is playing worse than their talent level, that can usually be attributed to the coaching. If it's just one or two guys, that's on the players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    We need to make the offense drive to the hoop, getting almost nothing most games, leads to losses against good teams. At least driving to the the hoop and keeping Blackshear inside, we might be able to get a score, instead of long stretches of nothing. Jacking threes........0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3. Great offense. Also free, free free throws, 0,0,
    Next, 0,0, next, 0,0, next 1, 0. Little wonder what we are working on in practice. At this rate, all the not ready for the NBA players, would have to stay 3 or 4 years to understand when to shoot and what gets them wins. Oh yea, and how to shoot FT’s. Nobody is NBA ready, even Scottie. Yes he will get signed, but he will have to be taught to shoot, both FT’s and threes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree.

We've got to make the paint game a consistent, and imo, primary aspect of our offense. White's perimeter/finesse game just isn't working consistently enough. He teaches poor fundamentals in shooting and decision making too, and that's what hurts us the most, because 80% of our offense is designed around that perimeter shot, or setting it up.

How many times have we outright refused to go under the net, or at least try to draw a foul in the paint, and instead make an awful shot from the perimeter? We have got to get back to being a seriously physical team under the net.

Unfortunately, this season too will be yet another one of those "pound a square peg into a round hole" ordeals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mogator1

mogator1 Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Big MW fan but this is what frustrates and confuses me. I was expecting the same up tempo pace and bought the fact that he didn't have "his" players who could play that style initially. He has recruited well and we HAVE the deep roster of long, athletic players. Why we insist on grinding out a half court game makes no sense to me. I love the fact that he stresses effort and accountability for lock down defense. But you can play with pressure AND still have good defensive principles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. hoopnscoopuf

hoopnscoopuf All American

Dec 3, 2011
    Coach just said that: “This was the best offensive game we’ve played” and “we are not a pressing team”. Gonna be a long year...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1