Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Arkansas @ Florida Feb 22 (Tue) 7 PM ESPN2

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Feb 21, 2022.

1. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Legend

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    I don’t entirely agree with that. The issue with both football and basketball is only partially related to personnel, and almost entirely related to not playing to the strengths of said personnel with respect to scheme. The substitution pattern and playing time awarded by both coaching staffs was/is also questionable.

Adjust your scheme or personnel and things will look better. I think the football team with surprise next year under Napier, and so would this basketball team under a different coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    You just have to tip your hat to Arkansas for their win over Florida; their first win in the O'dome since 1995 when ?Lon Kruger was still the gators' coach. Even during Mike White's tenure at Florida, Florida still managed to extend their dominance over several SEC teams like Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, etc.

Looks like Arkansas has found a potentially great coach.
    =============================

I did think that Florida played exceptionally well on offense in this game especially when the game first started. The ball movement was good along with the double staggered screening to open up their offense. Too bad that Jones could not be more of a factor like in some recent games but Jones did make several assists to set up other teammates.

Hopefully, the good Florida offense will carry over into future games.

Later in the game, the guards were feeding Castleton in the post for some high-percentage finishes around the rim. I thought that when Colin received the ball that he did a good job of keeping the ball high above his head and finishing his shot rather than bringing the ball down (for a potential steal/turnover by Arkansas).

While Florida hit on a lot of 1st half 3-balls (7 by half time but only one in the 2nd half) probably due to the feel-good emotion of the previous game's results, they did not hit as many of them in the 2nd half probably due to late game fatigue. Florida should have tried attacking the rim also when they had a chance like in transition.

At times, Florida's defense was out of position when Arkansas ran their offense. Arkansas' players often attacked the rim for easier scores than what Florida had done who took more higher risk shots from the outside.

The game was only 71-72 with only minute and 30s to play; Arkansas hit's a three to make it (75-71) and Florida misfires down the stretch. Even when UF tried to continue to feed Castleton in the post, the razorbacks made a critical steal to kind of pull away.

What can you say, game over, 82-74, the razorbacks go on a 11-2 run to finish the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree and the same ref on each call. And late in the game that very same ref wanted to give the ball to Arky on an out of bounds that was clearly UF's ball before both refs away from the play ran at him and he reversed it.

I was at the game and sit in the second row on the baseline on the Gator side so I had a VERY good view of the play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good solid analysis. They were doing more off-ball screening than the very few that they usually do. However, they run a high risk offense except when they get the ball into CC. White wants his players to create offense by dribble driving. That didn’t even work well when Tre Mann was on the team. Too much dribbling and too little ball movement, player movement and off-ball screening is a recipe for disaster, which is kind of what we have.

• Agree Agree x 1