Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: #6 Gators vs Noles, Sun, Nov 10th, 1 PM, ESPN

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Oh Gulf you is so hard man, so hard......

2. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    No positives out of this,, unless you consider being humbled a positive, which I don't.

Good thing for me is I won't hear from any noles about this. Most I know don't care about b ball and are still in hiding till football season is over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    While true, that was a completely different situation. lol

4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    We are not a tier one basketball program. We just aren’t . I’m ok with where we are. Sometimes we think we are Kansas, Duke , NC, UK, Mich State. We are who we are. We need to try and enjoy. Obviously we are overrated right now and will fall out of the top 15 probably. Maybe we can get it going soon. If not I’m not going to puke .

5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Tough loss but if we learn from this it will be a good loss. They handled us and are a better club. Great length and athleticism as usual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    We aren't a Top 5 program. However, there are about 20 programs in this country that with the right set of circumstances can join those top 5 programs for a year. We are one of them. Those circumstances happened this year (having the good fortune of a connection to a pair of Top 20 high school players, a sophomore class that entirely returned, and the addition of the best grad transfer). The fact that we can't compete with the top programs when all of that happens indicates that we have a ceiling. Unfortunately, that ceiling is just slightly above mediocre. I don't think that is good enough for Florida basketball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They aren't good. They are tall, but they aren't good. That is why they lost to Pitt, another team that isn't good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GATORJV

GATORJV Junior

Oct 10, 2014
    Jesus. People need to take a chill pill. It's one game two games into the season. I know you all want to put all of this pressure on the game because it's FSU, but everyone needs to take a deep breath. All of college basketball has looked ugly the first week.

Anyone trying to grab a coaching trend or player trend two games into the season needs to stop. You can't tell anything with a two game sample.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    I get UF might not be up with the cream of the cream, but the program made 5 great eights in the last 8 years and 4 in a row. Not sure I can act like I'm happy for a participation trophy for UF BBall. UF has been a real contender a number of times over the last 20 years.

10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Being a top tier program includes fan support who travel like crazy. Big tradition We will never join those types of basketball royalty. Teams like Louisville,Michigan Syracuse, used to be UCLA, Maybe us ,for the resume we have put since the late 90’s would be next tier.

11. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I agree with you. We aren't a blue blood but we are arguably right there in that next tier of programs given what has been accomplished over the last 25 years. This is no longer a program where just getting into the tournament is an acceptable achievement, the program has evolved into something greater with higher expectations.

Still a lot of season to play out. Certainly not ready to say we can't do big things this year, but can't argue with the fact that this performance was an incredible disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Agree but basketball royalty we are not

13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Understand the frustration but let this thing play out. We got our ass handed to us by a better ACC team than our fan base anticipated. That is not a bad league the last time I checked. Chit happends early in seasons. Nichols St beat Pitt the other night.

14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Your opinion and that is fair , but I think they are pretty damn good. If I’m proven right and they keep winning our loss to them won’t be so bad at Tournament Time.

15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I would agree that we are second tier. Second tier teams should jump up and compete with top teams on their best years. Louisville, Michigan, Syracuse, UCLA, and Florida in the past have all done that. This should be that team for Mike White. If he can't compete with the lineup he has, then he isn't doing a good enough job.

16. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    It's hard to argue against that, although I think whether or not we will compete is still a question left to be answered. Bad start, but need to see how this team develops over the next several games. If it never comes together, that's certainly a pretty bad sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It's a scheme and concept problem, a developmental and techniques-teaching issue too. These players are being taught poor decision-making concepts while fundamentals are obviously being ignored. Don't get me wrong, I think our basketball coaching staff are quality individuals, good people, and great reps for UF, but "nice" doesn't cut it in this sport when you're just not good at coaching CBB at this level. This is why you don't replace legends like Billy Donovan who went to three NC games and won two of them with coaches from lower-tier programs like La. Tech. A second-tier coach will make your team second-tier.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    I think folks are antsy because this is what we've seen happen 3 of the last 4 years with our offensive performance. Don't forget the year we looked like an unstoppable offensive juggernaut then suddenly looked lost and timid on offense the rest of the year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. g8tr80

g8tr80 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ll just get bored and stop watching. Wins and losses are one thing, really bad, boring and Uber frustrating basketball is another. Our play today was simply amazing and not in a good way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. g8tr80

g8tr80 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    God I hope your wrong. However, I fear you are spot on. I said last year that this year is Whites defining moment. No built in excuses this year. Get it done.

• Winner Winner x 1