Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) OGT-#3 Alabama vs #4 Florida May 15 (Sat) 6 PM ESPN2

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorGrowl, May 15, 2021.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Championship After Walk-Off Win Over Tigers

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – No.1-seed Florida advanced the SEC Softball Tournament Championship with a 7-6 come-from-behind victory over No.4-seed Missouri Friday afternoon at Rhoads Stadium. It's the 12th comeback victory of the season for UF.

The Gators (42-8) initially fell behind 1-0 after the 1st inning of play, but rallied for five-straight runs to take a 5-1 lead into the final two frames of action. The Tigers (38-15) were able cut the lead down to 5-2 in the 6th and retook the lead, 6-5, in the 7th with four more runs.

Despite the deficit with only three outs left, Florida found a way for another thrilling walk-off win. The rally started with top of the order due up. Hannah Adams drew a leadoff walk and Emily Wilkie (1-for-2) reached after she was hit by the 2-2 offering from Missouri reliever Emma Nichols (6-3).

Charla Echols (2-for-4) advanced Adams and pinch-runner Katie Kistler into scoring position with a groundout to second base. That brought to the plate Kendyl Lindaman (1-for-3), who launched her 70th career home run in the 3rd inning that gave UF a 3-1 lead, and she delivered a SAC fly via a line drive to left field deep enough to score Adams from third and tie the game 6-6.

Kistler advanced to third on the play and Jaimie Hoover (1-for-3) stepped into the box with the game on the line. Hoover worked a 3-1 count before she drove a groundball to Jenna Laird at shortstop. Laird mishandled the ball for a split-second, which allowed Kistler to score the game-winning run and Hoover to reach safely at first base for the 7-6 walk-off victory.

Florida scored one run in the 2nd inning to tie the game, 1-1, via a Baylee Goddard (1-for-3) RBI single through the left side that scored Hoover. Lindaman plated two more to take the lead in the 3rd with her eighth home run of the season and second of the tournament and Echols was responsible for the two runs scored in the 5th.

The Newnan, Ga. native produced an RBI double that scored Wilkie, then later stole home to give UF the 5-1 lead.

Natalie Lugo (16-2) picked up the win in relief.

The Gators will play No. 3-seed Alabama Saturday at 6 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

Notable Notes:

• The Gators earned the No. 1 seed for the SEC Tournament for the ninth time in program history, which is the most among SEC schools.
        • The Gators hold a 34-27 (.557) record in the SEC Tournament and holds the third best winning percentage among SEC programs in SEC Tournament play.
          • The 34 all-time wins are the third most by any SEC program in the tournament
          • Head Coach Tim Walton holds a 25-9 record and a .735 win percentage, which is the best win percentage in SEC Tournament history.
        • UF's five SEC Tournament Championships are tied for the most among programs alongside LSU and Alabama.
          • Florida – 2008, 2009, 2013, 2018, 2019
          • Alabama – 1998, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2012
          • LSU – 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007
        • The No. 1 seed in the SEC Tournament holds a 56-15 record and the Gators hold 18-5 record as the top seed.
        • The Gators, the reigning tournament champs, won back-to-back titles in 2018 and 2019.
          • No team has won three-straight SEC Tournament Championships.
          • Only three programs have won back-to-back tournament titles and the Gators are the only program to have done it twice.
            • LSU – 2001 & 2002
            • Auburn – 2015 & 2016
            • Florida – 2008 & 2009, 2018 & 2019
      • This is UF's ninth SEC Tournament Championship appearance which is the second most finals appearances in the league.
      • Florida played Missouri earlier in the regular season in Columbus, Mo.
        • The Gators went 2-1 against the Tigers 5-2, 2-10 (5) and 3-2 in the three-game series.
        • The program holds a 15-5 record all-time over Missouri.
          • The Gators are 2-0 all-time against the Tigers in the SEC Tournament.
      • The Gators have a total of 12 comeback victories on the season.
        • The program overcame one run deficit in the 7th inning today against Missouri.
      • The SEC Tournament are the first neutral site games for the Gators this season.
        • UF is now 2-0 in neutral site games.
      • Hannah Adams has reached base safely in 35 consecutive games. Overall, she has reached base safely in 48-of-49 games played.
      • Charla Echols tabbed her 17th multi-hit game of the season.
        • Echols also extended her reached base safely streak to 32 consecutive games.
        • She is also riding a five-game hitting streak.

4. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    I will miss today as well for a family outting.

Tomorrow we will have a selection show thread.

How to watch the 2021 NCAA Softball Tournament bracket selection show on TV, live stream
    The field for the 2021 NCAA Division I Softball Championships is scheduled to be announced Sunday, May 16.

The selection show is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. ET.

ESPN's Beth Mowins is scheduled to host the softball selection show with analysts Michele Smith, Amanda Scarborough, and Holly Rowe.

The 2021 NCAA Softball Tournament starts with regionals, which are scheduled to take place from Friday, May 21 to Sunday, May 23.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

I am clearly not the most informed softball follower. Bama is #3 in the country. UF is #4. UF had a better SEC record and beat Bama head-to-head. Why is Bama ahead of UF? Appreciably better OOC results??

6. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Some thoughts on yesterday's game.

There were a couple of goofs, in my opinion, that happened in the 7th inning.
    #1 was the non-called third strike on the 2-2 pitch that led to the home-run.

#2 was on the sacrifice fly from Lindman and the subsequent events. I think that on the fly ball the throw should have come to the cutoff and not to the plate. It was a line drive that the outfielder could not get her feet set for a throw. The Missouri coach should have told the defense before Lindaman stepped up what she wanted.

I looked at the stats this morning and that fielder had two assists on 68 put-outs and 0 errors. So that tells me she has not been tested in that area. Coach Walton knew that and did not hesitate to send Adams. I have seen some tags when the ball was a little deeper and we elected not to go.

On the other hand, the Mizzou coach knew or should have known this as well. If the throw comes to the cutoff then Kisler does not advance to third. So the Hoover ground ball would move Kisler to 3rd and Matthews would have been placed up with runners on the corners and two-out.

The percentages for a hit are less with Matthews simply based on batting averages.
    The Mizzou coach started falling apart on the non-catchers interference in the top half of the inning.

The umpire bailed them out with the first goof and a slowly called replay did not bail her out on the second one. Why did the officials look so long at that replay? As far as I could tell there was not a replay monitor so all replay calls same from the SEC office.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorGrowl

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Some thoughts on yesterday's game.

There were a couple of goofs, in my opinion, that happened in the 7th inning.
    #1 was the non-called third strike on the 2-2 pitch that led to the home-run.

#2 was on the sacrifice fly from Lindman and the subsequent events. I think that on the fly ball the throw should have come to the cutoff and not to the plate. It was a line drive that the outfielder could not get her feet set for a throw. The Missouri coach should have told the defense before Lindaman stepped up what she wanted.

I looked at the stats this morning and that fielder had two assists on 68 put-outs and 0 errors. So that tells me she has not been tested in that area. Coach Walton knew that and did not hesitate to send Adams. I have seen some tags when the ball was a little deeper and we elected not to go.

On the other hand, the Mizzou coach knew or should have known this as well. If the throw comes to the cutoff then Kisler does not advance to third. So the Hoover ground ball would move Kisler to 3rd and Matthews would have been placed up with runners on the corners and two-out.

The percentages for a hit are less with Matthews simply based on batting averages.
    The Mizzou coach started falling apart on the non-catchers interference in the top half of the inning.

The umpire bailed them out with the first goof and a slowly called replay did not bail= her out on the second one. Why did the officials look so long at that replay? As far as I could tell there was not a replay monitor so all replay calls same from the SEC office.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Alabama is #1 in RPI, we're #3. Bama is 23-6 vs. teams ranked 1 - 25, we're 13-5 so they've had 11 more games against ranked teams. Our non-conference record is 21-3, theirs is 21-1, but our non-conference SOS is 20, theirs is 68. However, their conference is SOS is better than ours, as they played Arkansas 3 times, Tennessee 4 times and Ole Miss 3 times and we didn't play any of them at all. If Florida wins today we will jump Alabama in the national polls, but both teams are getting a Top 8 national seed.

• Informative Informative x 4
  9. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    RPI formula is complicated. Oklahoma is 42-2 and they are below Bama and UF.

10. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    When you play cupcakes all year to get ridiculous stats that is what happens. Great fight by the gators yesterday, but another note I’ll add in on what led to Mizzou scoring was Lindsey should’ve made a batter play on that ball to cf. Line drives are tough, but she misread it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Yep on both points. Oklahoma's schedule has been pretty easy, although they did have some games vs the SEC - Missouri, Miss. St & Georgia. But they have only played 13 games against teams ranked in the Top 25 and are 11-2. Cheyenne Lindsay doesn't get charged with errors, but she has misread or misplayed several balls this year. Lots of speed, but not yet a great CF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Really makes you appreciate how great Kirstie Merritt was. She has a beautiful baby girl. Hope Walton is recruiting her.

13. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Those are some good observations and analysis, Growl. I wasn't aware of the second point you made but that strike that was called a ball was ridiculous.

All that aside, I'm happy we are playing Bama today as it just seems right - much like when we play them in the SECCG in football.

GO Gators!

14. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    LOL.......

15. crescent_beach

crescent_beach All American

Sep 25, 2016
    Well that was embarrassing.

16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Gators off to a horrible start vs. Bama. Hit, HBP, ground out advances the runners, squeeze bunt gets in a run, error on Echols allows another, then a botched rundown gives up a third run. Still only 1 out and we're down 3-0.

17. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 All American

Oct 10, 2008
    Shocked Echols of all people had that easy error.

18. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Hightower not fooling anybody and now defense collapsing. Huge homefield advantage for the gumps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Wow, I’ve only watched softball 10-11 times this year and I’ve never seen them botch routine plays.

20. Agator88

Agator88 GC Legend

Oct 7, 2014
    How that review took more than 10 seconds is beyond me. The longer it took the more I felt like Bama was about to get that call.