Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Officials horrified after 1st graders get ahold of gun meant to protect school against mass shooting

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Aug 16, 2019.

1. flg8rfan

flg8rfan Senior

Jun 15, 2007
    Gainesville
    Luckily we’re pretty involved and know their friends and where they are at. Right now they are too interested in sports to have time for boys. I know that is going to change soon enough though.

2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    This was an issue I brought up in one of the threads about arming teachers. Cops with 100's of hours of training make mistakes. Teachers with minimal training are bound to make mistakes in regards to eliminating a threat, much less doing the daily task of keeping it safely stowed. I was on the fence before but this just seems like it's going to happen more often.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. flg8rfan

flg8rfan Senior

Jun 15, 2007
    Gainesville
    I agree, this should never have happened. Just because a teacher wants to be able to carry in school, doesn’t always make that teacher a good fit to do so. There should be massive amounts of required training (initial and refresher), and some checks and balances in place.

Just because Bob passed the initial qualifications, he needs to be monitored in case his meds change, has a mental crisis, or he just generally starts to get complacent with his responsibilities. Not sure how to do that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Didn't see this coming...no no no. Geez.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    If we just get straight to the problem we can have more abortions and ban all toddlers once and for all. No one NEEDS a toddler.

6. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    There should be NO teachers with guns in schools.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    My sons high school has one teacher who I would trust with a weapon. He is a retired special forces guy who after he did his 30 years in the military now teaches math. I trust him more with a gun then I do the campus resource officer who may be the dumbest person in the school and that includes the teachers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

As you know...I have supported it under special circumstances/training.
    This kind of thing does make me think.

However, My thoughts would be that a armed and trained teacher would always have the firearm concealed and on their person at all times. Not in the drawer of a desk.

3 days is getting off easy IMO.

9. tilly

What the heck man? Who asks a parent that about their teenage daughters? I have 15 and 13 year old daughters...and that question is uncool o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

I have always said, it should be voluntary and restricted to former military or LEO's.
    My Brother-In-Law is a former Marine, now teaching middle school social studies for 10 years, and I would WANT him armed if a shooter showed up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I would prefer that a) teachers all receive more professional development (not more gun training) and be able to focus 100% on teaching. Maybe . . . just maybe . . . some of those former military/police in the classroom could benefit from some additional teacher training? and b) there be fewer guns in schools; not more.
    Humans have to be smarter. There must be other ways to prevent guns in schools than simply having more guns. Let's put America's best brains on the case. The things faculty & students are accomplishing in labs at MIT are miraculous. Let's support them to apply their extraordinary science to gun prevention in schools. More guns is not good enough and if we insist upon such policy, it will prove to fail.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Well, all the people who thought it was a dumb idea have been warning of this . . .

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Well this is an alarming graph. Not only for the reason that it represents only four months in which well-armed toddlers seemingly went on a spree, but also for the reason that it measures toddlers in 7.5 increments. I first saw this and thought "22.5 toddlers shot people?" "how did that 0.5 of a toddler get a shot off?" (I guess the number is probably 23 looking at this closely).