Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Official Postgame Thread: UF 38 Vandy 17

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorNavy, Nov 21, 2020.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I don't see it with Kimbrough. Maybe in the slot but not on the boundary. That cat from Arky flicked him off like a bug on a long TD last week. Needs to get stronger.

3. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Elam is the best of the bunch, but like you said, not as consistent as I was expecting this year (after a great Fr. season). Hill needs to play more. I don't recall any eyesore moments from him, unlike the rest of the aforementioned DBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So Grantham is his Hoke?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    And it shows.

and all the more reason for Grantham to go.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. thenazz

thenazz Sophomore

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Yep. Fortunately it was posted on the ESPN "app" -- so I streamed it after the fact, just as I was all pissy and about to give up and check the final score.

7. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Need Miller big time. He is one of the few sure tacklers we have. Houston hasn't played in 2 weeks , so somebody needs to step up. Hopper had some nice plays vs run, not sure about his pass coverage tho.

8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Thought this was easily Davis and Stewart's worst games. Both are usually good tacklers. Thought corners were ok today.
    I'm probably a minority, here but I thought Malik ran hard, deserved more touches. Pierce is the starter tho.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sqgator

sqgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    that’s just stupid.

10. FatherGoat

FatherGoat GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    Despite the shortcomings, Todd Grantham is walking out the front door on his own terms. Maybe the NFL will answer our prayers.

11. bperkins10

bperkins10 All American

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    In hindsight, I should have wanted him to leave for Cincinnati three years ago. I was mad then because I thought he was good and the Gators were going to lose continuity in the coaching staff again. The defense won the Miss St and LSU games that year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    A lot of lethargic play today across the board in the games I saw. Georgia was flat and finally played defense in the last minute and their guy passed for 400+. Tenn/Aubren- was a bit strange. Ohio state game-3 picks fields had-lucky they won. IU too...geeze. Wis gets spanked by Northwestern, right?

No fans, reduced rosters. Cancelled games. Emotional levels way down without the fans. For us, just playing Vandy is always weird.

2020 is really a weird one.

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. biggynugs

biggynugs Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    I could watch Dan Mullen press conferences all day

• Like Like x 1
  14. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    I do think Grantham is on the hot seat with CDM. Dan is such a positive guy in public but I suspect that in private he's telling Grantham to bloody well get the defense fixed. We have a rare opportunity with an elite offense to get into the playoffs and I don't think Dan wants to take poor defensive performance sitting down. He may be very diplomatic about the situation but bottom line he expects results from his coaching staff. The next four games may determine Grantham's future at Florida.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  15. Blazergator

Blazergator All American

Apr 10, 2007
    All of this. And given that fact we are able to watch a 6-1 team with an incredible offense in the middle of the dumpster fire that is 2020, I don't really care what happens the rest of the year. I have enjoyed every game thus far and will continue to enjoy this ride. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Rick Wells, 5th year SR WR, showed why he has fallen further down the depth chart when he would have had a TD pass from Trask had he been more aware of how close he was to the endzone backline.

Maybe it's time to see what Ja'Quavion Fraziars can do? He is on participation reports for Ole Miss and Vanderbilt, but guessing that both were on special teams. He can play in 2 more games without burning his redshirt.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  17. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Our DB's are just too damn slow.
    That explains the spacing and the cushion.
    This weakness is the result of recruiting shortcoming first emanating from the failed Muschamp and Shark man hires.
    Yes, Grantham has a lot of shortcomings but the lack of talent hurts.

18. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They were fast enough for UF to have a top 10 defense in 2019. How do you explain that? If the players are too slow now, they must have been too slow then too.

19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Im starting to move over to the dismiss Grantham club myself now. Way too many issues on defense. We adjust and start playing better on D after the A&M debacle, and then we go right back to what we were doing wrong.

That said, there are also players on this team who I think are just mailing it in this year and watching the NFL Draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’ve been so against disrupting this staff when we see so much going right on and off the field, and such favorable comments from recruits and their parents. Continuity in this program is so important. But we’re 7 games into this season and seeing no noticeable improvement in our players on D. The secondary is atrocious. Then you look at instances like Marco - in the right position and getting beat for the ball. Repeatedly. Is that on the coaches? Is failing to tackle all on the coaches? Is Grantham supposed to run out there and bring down the RB (hey, Woody Hayes did that)?

We’ve brought in a lot of DB recruits the last couple of years. They need experience, but hell, other teams get more out of less. Then again, nobody except Alabama is playing consistent defense this weird year....

Position coaching at this point has to be held accountable. And Grantham owns all of this. You throw in the avalanche of data from folks on here like @tilly showing his track record over decades and you really start to wonder if TG really is the problem.

We can’t force a turnover to save our lives until garbage time. We get gashed on the ground and receivers are running open all over the place. Yeah, I’m starting to come around too.

And WTF happened to our special teams? When’s the last time we freaking blocked anything?